More than 20 minutes for SAT II writing essay?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: More than 20 minutes for SAT II writing essay?
By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

I was wondering...

what is the order of the test? MC then essay?

are you allowed to maybe rush through the MC, and if you have time left over, write the essay and spend a little more than 20 minutes? Or do the proctors call time for each part?

By Nyapplicant (Nyapplicant) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

you are required to begin with the essay. after 20 minutes are up, the proctors will advise you to move to the multiple choice. you may spend as much time as you'd like on the essay.

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

ok then, if you go on to MC, then will you be able to go back to the essay later on?

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

ok then, if you go on to MC, then will you be able to go back to the essay later on?

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

double posts are so awkward.......

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

No.. I think you have a maximum of 20 minutes on the essay, but if you finish essay in 15 you can go on to MC and work it for 45. Here, this is straight from the writing test in the 22 Reals book:

WHEN THE SUPERVISOR ANNOUNCES THAT TWENTY MINUTES HAVE PASSED, YOU MUST STOP WRITING THE ESSAY AND GO ON TO PART B IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO. IF YOU FINISH YOUR ESSAY BEFORE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT, GO ON TO PART B AT ONCE.

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

no u can keep writing the essay, its just not wise to do so. you can spend as much time on the essay as u want they just suggest u to spend 20 minutes on it and the next 40 minutes on the MC

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

A good idea would be to use 20 min for the essay, finish the multiple choice, then go back to the essay if you didn't finish. MC is worth twice as much as the essay so don't neglect it.

By Scion (Scion) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

ok, so u CAN go back to the essay, but at the last examination, the proctor collected the essay after 20 minutes!

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

That ain't right. The proctor should collect it from everybody after 1 hour.

By Scion (Scion) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

ok thanks, ill make sure he/she does after the hour's up.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 02:56 am: Edit

are u sure...i remember my proctor collecting the writing essays after 20 minutes for everyone taking the writing tests.....

By Jens (Jens) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

yeah this is confusing. supposedly the proctor collects the essay after 20 min but we're allowed to go back if we finish the MC early???

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

Yeah and in the reals book it says

WHEN THE SUPERVISOR ANNOUNCES THAT TWENTY MINUTES HAVE PASSED, YOU MUST STOP WRITING THE ESSAY AND GO ON TO PART B IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO. IF YOU FINISH YOUR ESSAY BEFORE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT, GO ON TO PART B AT ONCE.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

You can finish your essay after you are done with the multiple choice if you have time left over. It says so right in the test booklet at the end of the multiple choice (it says you can go back to part A, the essay). I took the actual test; this is right.

By Jens (Jens) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Ok Thanks!! I was just confused b/c others have been saying that the proctoc collects the essays after 20 min...

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Your proctor could very well do that if they are not aware of the rule. Point out the instructions at the end of Section B (Multiple Choice), unless they changed from when I took them last June.

By Scion (Scion) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

u took it last june??? then the college board might've changed the directions... any recent takers wanna say something about their proctor???

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

I took the SAT II's last May 1 (very recently). The proctor collects the Writing tests AFTER the full hour... Students can go back at leisure to finish the essay, if they so desire. It says so in the exam packet.

By Scion (Scion) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

thanks crazylicious.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

If that proctor comes at me I'm going to slap his hand away and say "Back off, biaaatch!" Always wanted to tell off a proctor.

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

LMFAOOOO HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

this takes so much weight off of my shoulders!

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

actual exam today (don't effing email me about it) stated you may return to your essay if you finished the MC section early, but you must do your essay first.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page