EXTREMELY HORRIBLE CHEM AP SITUATION...NEED HELP!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: EXTREMELY HORRIBLE CHEM AP SITUATION...NEED HELP!
By Coqui (Coqui) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

I’m a junior (now senior I guess) and last month I took the Chem AP Form B Exam. I was doing ok up until the very last free response question. It wasn’t that I didn’t know the answer nor that I ran put of time…I COMPLETELY FORGOT TO DO IT!!! I (for some Edited by moderator. Please find another word to use reason) didn’t turn the page when I finished question 6. I noticed I hadn’t chosen Q 7 or 8 when time was called and I had to circle which question I did. What sucked was they were so easy and I probably got a 2 or 3 at the most because my MC wasn’t all that great and I guessed on one of the free response’s. I feel like a year of chem ap classes were wasted. I don’t know if I should just take it next year and try to get a 4 for college credit.

My dream colleges are Stanford, Duke or Rice and I want to go into medicine. I feel that my chances are ruined if they see a 2 for my Chem AP exam. I also took the ENG and Span exams…probably got 4 and 5. Should I pay $5 to have my Chem score withheld from colleges or just show them the 2 or 3 I got on my exam? The AP score withholding-thing deadline is June 15.

Please save the “How could you do that?” comments…I beat myself up enough already.

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

How could you do that,

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Or you could just cancel the exam

By Tri_N (Tri_N) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Dude, have you look at the scales for the AP Chem exam yet?

How well do you think you did on the exam? It's normal for students to get a 35/75 and receive a 4 on the exam.

By Cherrybarry (Cherrybarry) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

if you get higher than 70%, it's a 5. Even 67%.

By Conker (Conker) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:10 am: Edit

I've heard from Chem students that 1999 was supposed to be one of the harder exams. Well, in that year, you needed a 63% to get a 5, and around 17% did.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

If you don't to as well, you could always prep during the summer and take it next May.

By Momof2inca (Momof2inca) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Coqui, I feel for you. My son, currently a junior, considers history his best subject and after he took the SATIIs last month, he looked up the curve from previous years and realized he had skipped the last 10 questions for US History, just didn't turn the page! He was so mad at himself, and bewildered. He ended up getting a 720 on it but is repeating it next October to get the 800 that he knows he is capable of. I would say, wait to see what score you get on your test and if it's really bad, retake it next year and include an explanation in your college apps. Maybe you will do better than you think due to the curve. Mistakes happen. It's not the end of the world (but it sure can seem like it!)

By Coqui (Coqui) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Thanks. So should I cancel the exam? If I do, I don't get to see my score, right? If I withold the score from being seen, will colleges hold it against me?

By Coqui (Coqui) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Urgent!!!

I'm about to get my scores witheld from colleges...

Any last minute advice on whether I should do it?

By Jaylee933 (Jaylee933) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

One test is not going to hurt your chances. It's not all about the testing, man. I used to stress obsessively over that kind of stuff...but I ended up getting into Duke (And I didn't get outstanding test scores). So in the end you'll realize that we stress way too much over standardized tests. Just keep your score...You'll be fine! Last year I didn't know how to do taylor series, so when I saw that the last free response question in AP Calc was on that topic, I had to leave it completely blank. I still got a 5. So keep your scores! They may end up to be fine...And if not, who cares?

By Nealious (Nealious) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

If you liked AP Chem, prove yourself on the SAT 2 chemistry. Colleges look at your SAT 2 scores more than they look at AP scores, and the SAT 2 score will prove you are capable of doing chemistry well.

Check with your teacher about the penalties and the percentages that the Free Response counts for, and if you predict that you are going to get a 2 or a 3, just cancel the scores unless the money spent on it is an issue.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page