AP prep versus SAT II prep

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: AP prep versus SAT II prep
By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

If one thoroughly prepares for an AP exam - say, in chemistry - and develops a very good understanding of the subject, should he or she really worry about preparing much for the SAT II exam in that same subject?

Interesting sidenote: My AP Chemistry teacher, who has been teaching chemistry for 19 years and received her doctorate from Emory, told me that the SAT II was also used for students entering graduate school in a chemistry field. Has anyone heard this before? I haven't really taken the initiative to investigate her claim online...

Well, thanks bunches!

By Needhelp06 (Needhelp06) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I took the SAT II chem and got an 800, and I also think that I did quite well on the chem AP. I think that one of the major differences between the two tests is that the satII requires you to know some qualitative aspects of chemistry (what color does sodium burn, etc) and also some laboratory setups (they give you a picture of a lab setup and might ask you what type of gas is capable of being produced). The AP is a bit more involved in calulations and you have to really have an understanding of the material. If you can master the material for the AP, the SAT II will be a breeze provided you also look at lab setups and qualitative analysis. I recommend that you study out of an AP book to learn all the subjects, then take practice tests from the AP book and the SAT II book depending on which test you are taking first.

Good Luck.

By Conker (Conker) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 07:16 am: Edit

Mattlord, graduate school students take the GRE, which has a Chemistry test. It's similar in format to the SAT II Chemistry, besides that there are more multiple choice questions (and they're obviously a lot harder).

By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

i know grad students take the GRE; however, my AP Chem teacher did say that she had to take the SAT II Chem test to apply to grad school. i was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of this before; perhaps that's the way it used to be...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page