Recommend me an AP to self-study

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Recommend me an AP to self-study
By Alotor (Alotor) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Hey guys

My other topic about self-studying U.S. history AP is still up.... I was just wondering, what other APs would you guys recommend that are pretty easy to self-study? Are these APs easy:

Environmental Science
World History
Art History

Would you recommend any of these? I'm looking to get a head start in the summer. Thanks again

By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Well, depending on whether you are good at math, you can learn Statistics on your own in about a week. If you're good at English, you can already do well on the English Language exam, but if you're not, it seems that people can't very easily study for it. I don't know about those 3 APs you mention.

By Peyton (Peyton) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

AP psych self-study should be pretty simple. I took the class, but looking back, self-studying it wouldn't be hard unless you just hate the subject.

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Personally, I'd do art history. Sounds like fun. I've heard Environ is really easy (and colleges know this too) and World history is very general...

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

fun?

By Econrobot (Econrobot) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Yeah, world is really easy. I bought a Barrons Book and studied the weekend before the test and got a 5. But, colleges know these are easy APs and might not take them seriously. I suggest you concentrate on stuff like chemistry, calc, physics, euro, us, etc. If you do well on these, you don't necessarily need the self-study ones. Just a little advice...take it for what its worth. Good luck.

By Cherrybarry (Cherrybarry) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Environ has a hard curve, but I don't know if that's just because so many people don't take it seriously. Psych can be self-studied. Stats can also be self-studied, but make sure you meet up with a teacher just so you don't make false assumptions, as so much of it is repetitive (ie. inference procedures).

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Well, I think to make it easier, I would rate these exams on a scale from 1 to 5, with 5 being the hardest. I haven't actually taken these exams, but I've seen questions and I am familiar with the format. :)

Art History: 2 or 3
I think that the material taught in this course is important if you want to become the classical scholar. Knowing how to appreciate art is an intrinsic part of being "cultured".

World History: 3
This course covers few specifics and thus is not that easy to self-study (as compared to US or Euro History, where you can just cram facts down your throat). You will need a good book. However, it's a new exam, and the questions are still extremely easy. Plus, as this is primarily a sophomore exam, you should be able to breeze through it.

Environmental Science: 2
If you've taken either Bio or Chem, and have taken Earth Science, this exam should be relatively easy.

Music Theory: 2 or 5
If you know basic theory (intervals, triads, sevenths, scales, etc.), this will be an easy exam to self-study. If you can't read music, or have poor pitch, then this exam will be near impossible.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page