What should I do differently when writing the SAT II Writing

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: What should I do differently when writing the SAT II Writing
By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Alright, I'm going to post my response to this sample essay topic for the SAT II Writing test. I can't find any solid strategies for the Writing essay, so instead of simply asking for help I'd like you to tell me what I should have done differently.

Topic: Every event can be viewed from multiple perspectives.

Response:

In Shakespeare's Hamlet (underlined), many events perpetrated by the title character can be viewed from multiple perspectives. For example, near the climax of the play, Prince Hamlet slays Polonius, close advisor to the King. Obviously, with an event as important as a murder, different evaluations of the action are likely to form. For Laertes, Polonius's son, it is a gross injustive- his long time rival killed his father. For Gertrude, Hamlet's mother and queen of Denmark, it is nothing more than an event she dislikes because of the trouble it will cause to an already troubled family.

From early on in the play, it is clear that Gertrude has no real respect for Polonius. Her feelings are evident when she tells him that she would appreciate "more matter and less art" in his explanations. It is no surprise, then, that Gertrude is not heartbroken over the death of Polonius. She regrets what a "rash and bloody deed" her son committed, true, but it is not the same regret that Laertes feels for the loss of his father.

The difference in Gertrude's and Laertes's judgments of this event, and indeed the difference in judgment of any event between two people, is a result of the fact that no two people have the same things to gain or lose when a single event occurs. People are inherently selfish, and as a result, evaluate events from a perspective that seems to ask, "How does this affect me?" Gertrude, in this case, merely loses something she hadn't actually had in a long time- faith that her son was just going through a mood. Laertes, meanwhile, loses a family member. The difference in impact on Gertrude and Laertes is clear and universally applicable; all events can be viewed from multiple perspectives because events are judged by personal impact, which is inevitably different for everyone.

Thanks in advance.

By Tri_N (Tri_N) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

You don't have the magic clause, "For example."

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

I think I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, Tri_N. If you mean I didn't use the clause for exapmle, I did. I used it to start the second sentence.

I really don't know how to go about writing a perfect essay for this test and would be grateful for any other help anyone can give.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page