SAT II versus AP Exams

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: SAT II versus AP Exams
By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

Anyone care to discuss their differences?

Perhaps more interesting: how do the SAT II exams correlate with AP exams; in the eyes of admissions officers, what weight does a 5 on an AP exam carry as compared with its (closest) SAT II counterpart?

Thanks!

By Jess13 (Jess13) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

APs are generally much harder. But then, they're curved differently. Still, you have to know so much more information to take an AP test than you do an SAT II.

But I'm not sure how colleges look at them...I've heard that colleges don't even see AP scores, and that you self-report what you want to tell them.

By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit

ty Jess13. others: bump!

By Mattman (Mattman) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 03:02 am: Edit

I second that APs are harder, because there's also a written element involved. I'd say they're more valuable because of the college credit involved too. High scores on both demonstrate that you know your stuff, but I'd much rather have a 4 or 5 on an AP than an 800 on its counterpart.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:33 am: Edit

SAT IIs count more than APs in terms of admission.

By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

i recognize that SAT IIs count more; why?

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

AP's signify a certain level of achievement, but aren't as specific as SAT II's. A 5 on an AP exam is about the equivalent to a 700+ on an AP exam. BTW, an 800 is worth much more than a 4 or 5 on AP exams. I got friends who have 5's on AP's...but don't always have 800 or 750+ on the SAT II's. An 800 on an SAT II signifies a very high level of understanding to colleges.

By Vartan (Vartan) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

given anyone's experience, how is the Bio SAT II in comparison to the MC section of the AP Bio exam?

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

bio sat2 questions r much easier than multiple choice of ap exam, but curve is much more harsh on the sat2

By Aznsnake0307 (Aznsnake0307) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

the MC the past AP test for Bio was harder than SAT II.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page