I Need Some Tips for Succeeding on Self-Studied APs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: I Need Some Tips for Succeeding on Self-Studied APs
By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Unfortunately my schedule for next year got shot to pieces. I can't take Poli Sci, Stats, or Weightlifting :). In place of Stats I'm taking Calc :( . I may be able to fix things, but pressuming the worst, I may end up self-studying some APs.

My question: Has anyone self-studied for either US Govt, Comparative Politics, or Statistics? If so, how much work did you put in? What did you use? How did you do?

Which is easier to self-study for US Govt or Comparative Politics?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Self-studying for AP Government shouldn't be too hard if you keep up with current events, watch C-SPAN, and like politics, etc.

The US portion of the test is common sense stuff, you just need a good book to study from. Comparative can be a little iffy since you won't be having a teacher. I suggest meeting with the AP Government teacher a couple of times to sort of like keep up with what the class is doing.

It depends on whether you like math or social studies mostly. Look at your schedule and make sure its realistic that you'll have enough time/resources to self-study. This school year I planned to self-study for AP Chemistry... a couple of days into the school year... I was like "yeah, right."

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Well I'm not taking too many difficult classes. I'm planning to get a jump over the summer. Right now my schedule is looking like this:

Calc AB
Euro AP
4 English H
3/4 Latin H
Jazz Studies
Gym
Computer Science (Semester)

I'm just really bummed I can't take Stats or Political Science. I was really looking forward to both.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Where do you want to go to school? Assuming that you want to go to a mildly selective school, I would go ahead and self-study for one additional AP course.

If you are a history person, I would definitely self-study for AP Government. BTW, are you a junior or a senior? If you are a senior, I think you should definitely self-study for an additional AP. Gym, Jazz Studies aren't core courses. It all depends on where you want to go to school.

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

I'm going to be a senior. Right now I'm looking at: U of Ill, U of Wis, Ill Wesleyan, Grinnell, Lawrence, Macalester, Kenyon. Those are pretty much my reaches/matches at this point.

Without self-studying, I'll have 3 AP tests under my belt. The main reason I'm considering the Poli Sci and Stat ones is because I'm just really interested in the subjects.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

hey Guitarshredder, I self studied for the Govt exams and got 5s on both. As was said above, the US govt. is easy if you keep up with current events and like politics. For the comp. govt. I have really good notes on my comp. that I can email to you, talk to me on AIM my sn is the same as my CC name.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

if you're good at math, the stat one is pretty easy to self-study. It's just common sense and using the stat functions on your calculator.

By Royalchk (Royalchk) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

I essentially self-studied stats (I didn't go to class, did the prep book over april vaca) and I think I rocked a 5...

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

can i get the notes from you, Bern700, as well? thanks, my e-mail is sumohawk4ever@yahoo.com

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

I have a feeling king's post will be "moderated".
I would suggest self-studying for one of the two.

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 11:05 am: Edit

meh i didn't know the rule about not posting e-mail addresses, and i can't edit it since it's more than 30 minutes later... who are the moderators to contact?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

They will figure it out eventually, or you can click the blue line "report an offensive message on this page".

You have your email address in your profile, which is fine. So people would still be able to contact you. I think having it in the meassage makes you prey to those scavenger programs that round up email addresses for spammers.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page