When to take the SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: When to take the SAT
By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Okay, so I will have taken three SAT II's after the June test. I have already taken the ACT, and I will take it again in June.

My original game plan was to just take the ACT because I thought I would do condsiderably better on it. I got a 30, which is the equivalent of a 1340 on the SAT.

I feel that if I took the SAT I would score at least in the 1300's.

Which brings me to my question, should I take the SAT's next fall? Does anyone take the SAT's for the first time in the fall of their senior year? Will I be able to take them again in november if I do poorly?

Oh, and I live on the east coast and will probably be applying to mostly northeast schools.
Advice would be so nice...

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I took an SAT practice from 10 Real SAT's and I got a: 750M 570V = 1320
I assume that would only improve with practice.

By Susu (Susu) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

The 570V is worrisome. Bringing up verbal scores is hard. READ hard books all summer long. Read Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis (big words, long sentences, complex thought, good history). Read Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman. Read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Keep taking practice SATs and if your scores don't go up, plan on taking the ACT again and shoot for a higher score there. Don't take the SATI unless you can get a better score. (650V minimum.)

By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Pshhh... 570V is good! Keep it up! With that score, your all set to go I believe. Dont set yourself up for others expectations. Do the best you can do! Study if you'd like. That score rocks! SATs are a mere fraction of what colleges look at. If you have a great ACT (which you have) and a terrific SAT (Which I'm sure you can get considering the practice one you scored) your good. Don't freak out or anything.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Definitely take the SATs. I had a 620 PSAT verbal score and raised it to 750 in 5 months. You can do it. Just read whatever. It doesn't matter if it's hard or intelligent, just don't read comics, and don't read stuff that's badly written. It's a whole lot easier to read something you're interested in than something that just has big words and complex sentences and is boring. You won't even absorb that kinda stuff because you'll just be looking at the clock and counting the pages.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Chamonix, I love you're name. Ever been?

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Yeah, I loved it there. For those of you who don't know Chamonix is the town where mont blanc is in France.

620 to 750 is quite a jump, care to let me in on the secret of how you went about this? Congratulations on that! And yes, I can picture myself reading this boring book and constantly checking the clock. So, my job is to find some page-turners. I have read plenty of them, but it just seems that I always stumble upon them. I can never find a great book when I go and look for one, it's only when the book finds me.

So my question is how exactly did you study? I plan on talking to the guidence counserlor tomarrow, and I will make my decision there whether to take the SAT or not.

Can you recommend some amazing books? I've read through the other threads, and many of the books on there that I had read I found quite boring. I absolutely love Catcher in the Rye. To Kill a Mockingbird was great too.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Have you ever been to Chamonix? If you've heard of it, then it's quite possible. I loved the feeling of not understanding the people talking right next to me. I loved adapting to a new culture. I do speak french, but their accent is extremely hard to understand. At first I didn't understand a word, but after awhile I mananged to mingle out the point that someone was trying to make. I wish I spoke better french.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

I worked through all the practice problems on the 10 real SATs (the big red book). My main problem was overthinking the question, then getting confused about which answer to pick because sometimes none of them seemed right. Reading constantly helped me with this aspect of the verbal because you actually read the passage more clearly if you are a skilled reader. You will understand everything after the first read. It's really remarkable. I only had the confidence in devoting so much time to reading because I realized that it does work. A whole lot more than memorizing vocab. I read about 15 novels in about 8 weeks right before the SAT, and got 39/40 on the critical reading. Just do that. Read 50 pages per day. Get into the reading. I found that near the end of the 8 weeks, I started not paying attention to the pages or the place on the page I was on, and was just wrapped up in the story.

On the 620 to 750, a lotta luck. I underperformed on the 620, overperformed on the 750, and improved a bit in between. I read a lot of Kurt Vonnegut (about 7), it's all really easy to get into and it's good literature too. Read Siddhartha, Brave New World, The Alchemist, Richard Feyman's Six Easy Steps, Lord of the Flies. Really depends what you're into. If you like to think a lot, then read James Joyce or Vonnegut. If you want to read about math/physics, read The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene or The Music of the Primes by Marcus du Sautoy. Also, strictly for use to 'get into the groove' of reading, read the da Vinci Code. I didn't find that it was all that deep (despite all the commotion it's causing), but it's surely a page-turner.

Yep, I've been to Chamonix. It's my generic password for stuff, too (not my email address or anything else you know about). Also been skiing in Val d'Isere, Courchavel, Val Thorens, and other places. Never been to that area in the summer. I'll try. I know very little French even though I've taken it for five years, but usually I can manage to at least listen to the other people's conversations and pick up a bit. The part that I love is the hot chocolate with the fresh whipped cream on top. It's so dark. And so warm in the winter. And when you're walking in the snow and just go into a snow bank and be warm in the snow.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

My jaw just droped when I read that last paragraph. It was just this past february that my family went on our big vacation for the year. We went to Les Menuires. We spent several days at Val Thorens and Courchavel, which were my two favorites. Three years ago, we went to Chamonix. I did like Chamonix better (probably because of the titanic snowfall amounts). It was interesting how the exchange rate changed so drastically.

You basically just described my command of the french language. I've been taking it for exactly five years, and I still could barely understand anything. The most often time I spoke french was when lost people on the mountain came up to me looking for directions. That was always funny.

I never went to Val Thorens because of the traffic. You'd know what I mean if you arrived or left on a saterday. I will remember that traffic for the rest of my life. It was absolutely unbelievable. And the funny thing is our plane turned around half-way across the Atlantic, causing us to miss the ten-hour traffic line.

For some reason, I just don't like hot chacolate. I wish I did. I can see what you mean.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to read a ton, and take the 10 real SAT's. If I'm not scoring in the 1400's then I won't take it. I think I'll start off with the Da Vinci Code because you mention it was surely a page-turner.

The skiing is France is incredible, especially compared to the skiing here in the east. Do you ski in the east or west? Or are you a snowboarder? I hope not.

By Phoenix1 (Phoenix1) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

I'd have to agree. I've had similar experiences. Verbal is ALOT harder to get up than mathematics.

I'm a 15 year old sophomore right now.

No Prep SAT I: 1430 (680M, 750V)
Got too cocky for mathematics.

5 Days Before Test Prep (4000 Self-Made Vocabulary Flashcards ($20 Qcards) - 10 Practice Tests) - (780M, 760V)

Ironically, I got only 1 wrong on Critical Reading first time around, got 5 wrong second type around... perfect on the other sections. Should have studied more for the first one... sucks... :(

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page