Whats up with the SAT II writing Essay

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Whats up with the SAT II writing Essay
By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Well i just got my score back and I got an 8 on the essay. I had 5 paragraphs and it was pretty lenghty, (almost 2 pages). In addition, I proofread it and fixed all the obvious grammatical mistakes. The problem was that I only wrote about one personal experience, and I think that was what prohibited me to an 8.

Does anyone know if writing about, say 2-3 topics including history, literature AND personal experiences would boost the grade? Or is it just because my essay was not written as well as I thought it had been.

By Desprateslacker (Desprateslacker) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

YE man i m pissed to i also got 8 and i wrote the same as u but with 2 examples and I thought it was pretty dam good and was expecting a 12

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

yea man wtf....i got a 740 (which is pretty good in my eyes), but i got an 8 out of 12 on the essay....such a poor grade on an essay is MISERABLE (considering the sample "grade 4" essays ive seen)....i wrote abt one personal experience as my example, but i thought it was real good....argh!!!!....now im gonna retake, cuz obviously i know my MC stuff (surprisingly) fairly well....ny advice from ppl that got 12s on their essays abt wat types/number of examples to provide in the essay???

By Zik (Zik) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

i got a 12/12 on the essay...wrote about history (richard nixon), literature (gatsby from the great gatsby) and literature again (raskolnikov from crime and punishment)

hope this helps...unless you want something more specific?

By Chickenbroccoli (Chickenbroccoli) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

got a 12/12 essay. had long intro, paragraph about Othello, paragraph about Cyrano de Bergerac, short conclusion. I did however take up all the lines (actually i had to add in one last line at the bottom). No need for 3 seperate ideas.

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Im wondering what the reader's ruberic consists of. They probably want intellectual information which shows that the individual knows a lot of facts about politics/history/literature. I dunno, maybe Zik and Chicken are just great writers.

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

How do you guys write so much in 20 minutes? Do you practice writing essays for the SAT II writing so that the format is already decided before seeing the topic? I know everyone writes essays for classes, but teachers have different expectations then the readers of this test.

By Bellevueteen (Bellevueteen) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Most times, you can chooose your topics to write about, and make them fit. You don't, however, have to write about more than one thing. I wrote about the Roman Empire and expanded upon it and got 11.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page