Self-Studying AP Chemistry: Is this a good plan?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Self-Studying AP Chemistry: Is this a good plan?
By Wolfpiper (Wolfpiper) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

I'm taking PreAP Chemistry as a junoir next year. I've been thinking about self-studying chem over the summer with a review book, taking the class, and then taking the exam. Do you think I could score well doing this?

By Daromanian (Daromanian) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

yes, get some study books, namely Princeton Review and Barron's.
I self-studied for it and did fine.

By Wolfpiper (Wolfpiper) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Which of the two books would you say is better/more realistic toward the test?

By Sid_Mathur (Sid_Mathur) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

princeton review...but barrons is better for self-teaching for it

By Wrathofgod64 (Wrathofgod64) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

i self studied ap chem this year and arco was extremely helpful

By Wolfpiper (Wolfpiper) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

So a combination of Arco and Barrons would be good for now, and I should get PR for review before the exam?

By Holdenesquealex (Holdenesquealex) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

I more-or-less self studied for the exam since I was the only one in my class to take the test. Like Sid said, Barrons is better information-wise, but it's practice tests are not realistic imho. I'd try to use every old real AP test as possible before using any of the made up ones.

By Olive7891 (Olive7891) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

besides the princeton and other review books,
which are usually too easy (except for barrons),
you should consider picking up an AP Chem level textbook for chemistry and absorb as much as you can...
I recommend the Chemistry book by ZUMDAHL,
it's really helpful.
good luck!

By Tri_N (Tri_N) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

If you're going to self study, you better ask for the Chem textbook from your school. Buying a barron or other prepare books won't do you any good. My Chem teacher was horrible and I self studies for the entire year. I use the Princeton Review Book to prepare for the AP exam and I'm 100% sure that I received a five on the AP exam.

Don't use Barrons. Barron is too convoluted and confusing for your own good. I knew the material and I went, "huh," when I flip through the book. I also use Barron to prepare for SAT II Math IIC. The funny thing is that I've finished Calc 1 and Calc 2 last summer. I bought the Barron book, never glimpsed at it, and scored a 800 on my first try.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page