A question about AP spanish free response section

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: A question about AP spanish free response section
By Kings18 (Kings18) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

AM I allow to discuss about the free response question on this site?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

It's 48 hours after the test, so I assume so.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

For anyone who knows their Spanish grammar very well, whats the answer to this question.

Siempre que las invito a salir, mis primas me _________ que no tienen tiempo. (decir)

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

dicen
Every time I invite them to go out, they tell me they don't have time.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

I conkur!

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot. How about this one?

Tanto nos gustaba la pintura de Velazquez que en cuanto nosotros _________ a Madrid siempre ibamos directamente al Museo del Prado. (llegar)

Is the answer suppose to in the preterite form, which is LLEGAMOS.

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I would say llegábamos because of the gustaba, and he always went. Maybe llegamos, but i'd go with the imperfect, as the rest of the sentence is in imperfect.

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Here are the rest of my answers:
abrió,
rápidamente,
hubiera,
los,
Estuve,
aflojado,
vuelto,
despojarse,
izquierda,
siéntese,
dicen,
veía,
asistiéramos,
dará,
se termine,
oír,
mandara,
llegábamos,
andando,
ofrezca

I'd say I put 15 of these on the test, and 5 of them i put something else. If these are right, I think i got 15/20. Any comments about the answers. Everybody post what you think is wrong, and how much you think you got right on this section.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

The reason I think it is llegamos is because it illustrates a completed action. AM I right?

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Ok RcB, dara is incorrect. Im pretty sure is DEN, the present subjunctive of dar. Also, it is not mandara, it is MANDE. I put AFLOJADA, not aflojado because it modifies CORBATA (tie). That word is feminine.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Sorry, its RBC13.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

By the way, RBC13 or anyone else eho had taken that AP test, how you think it? Was it fair, easy, or hard overall?

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

I thought the listening was pretty easy, then I got a headache for the next 40 minutes, and I can't remember how well I did, as I was just trying to make it, and get ready for the STATs exam later. But I'd say Listening 75%, Fillin 75%, grammar error 90%, Reading ehh 50%, free response 75%, essay 8 or 9, scenes 6 or 7 because I didn't understand picture too well, and couldn't get it to flow, questions 4,4,4,4,3 or something like that. I'd say between 4 and 5. But I figure that since 33% of people get 5's, and I Spanish is just about my best subject, and everybody in my class thinks I will get a 5, maybe i will. I'll just have to see.

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I would say aflojada, but why is it poco then? If it was poca I would have put aflojada.

Mandara has to be correct, as pedi is in preterite, so imperfect subj is needed.

I'm thinking llegabamos because how could you always go directly to the museum, if you only went one time. That calls for multiple times.

For den, I think it should be dara because the association is giving the money, and it is talking about future.

How did you do on each part?

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

I see why you got confuse, you shouldnt take poco into consideration. By the way, I dont think think there's such a word, POCA. Or is there? Also, Mande is correct. I know this may be confusing. I agree with you the pedir is in the past form. The key to choosing the present subjunctive is by looking at the word HAYA in that sentence, the PRESENT subjunctive of haber. If I was hubiera, than Mandara would be correct.Also, Den should be correct because even though there is a future indicator: EL ano que viene (next year), to pick the right answer, one needs to recognize the subjuntive indicator, Por ___________ que, (no matter how.....)and use the subjuntive accordingly. But are you 100 percent sure that your explanations to your posted solutions are correct?

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

The test was alright. I had a strong performance on Part A (mc). In the section part, I didnt do as great. I think I did a little below average to decent. Im not a native speaker. I know i pass the exam though. Do you think I could get a 4 or maybe still even a 5? If you know, what was the most generous curve (composite score) you saw for a 4 or 5? I greatly appreciate it? Could a 4 be lower than a 114 on some test adminstration?

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Here is how the 1996 exam grades
133-180 5
114-132 4
86-114 3
Getting less than 50% passes!

Also, there is a poca(adj of poco)
That question is a real stumper.

The no creo que haya is an independent clause, the mandara is definitely correct.

The den part makes sense, if you are sure that it means no matter how much money. But shouldn't it be de(with accent) since the association will give, and is singular?

We need to talk to some natives. I know this one native teacher of 9-10 Spanish, maybe I should ask her.

By Touky (Touky) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

I agree , it is definitely mandara. The sentence is saying I asked that he send me the papers, but I dont believe it has been done. Mandara is the correct sequence of tense to use.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

RBC13 or anyone else who took the exam, today, i spoke to my teacher about the FR. Here are the answers. For MANDARA, it is correct. It is not LLEGABAMOS, it is llegamos because the action happened once and it is completed, not customary and repetitious. These two answers are weird. Instead of aflojado or aflojada, the answer was floja. I dont know why for the fill-in with rapido, the answer would be RAPIDO. Den is correct by the way, the subject is the third person, los socios. (den has no accent unlike de)

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Is your teacher a native? I tried to get to the native teacher at my school, but she was sick today. Maybe tomorrow or Monday. I asked my 7-8 teacher, and she said to ask Mrs. Llana(the native). She had the same questions, only someone who is native is gonna know these questions.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Yea, my teacher is native. By the way, did you get any feedback yet?

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I talked with Mrs. Llana today, and she looked at some of the problems. She said that aflojado was a bad word to use, but it would be aflojada because it is referring to the sleeves. And that den is correct. Also it is estaba instead of estuve. She is going to look at rest over weekend, and then show me on Monday.

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Just out of curiosity, Kings18, how well does she speak English? Mrs. Llana can't speak to well, so it is difficult when she tries to explain things to people.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Shes alright at English? I mean pretty good. She uses moderate to even high vocab. sometimes when she speaks in English. Of course, her Spanish is better. Just out of curiosity too, is Mrs. Llana REALLY strong in grammar? I put Estuve too and I know its wrong, it should be Estando because the present progressive is use when there is a blank in the beginning of the sentence except for commands of course. I ask her and she thats correct. Also, Did you ask her about the RAPIDO one?

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

What colleges did you all apply to? It's recommended that you take SAT II in spanish for BU, but what if you don't? I'm okay at spanish, I just have no clue what I'm doing when I conjugate.

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Here is a real cool site:
http://www.spansoft.net/start.htm
It really helped me a lot, by putting all of the tenses together on one page. I woudn't be able to speak that good without it. Now conjugations are my favorite part of spanish.
I am going to go to ASU by the way.

In reply to Kings18, isn't the infinitive used at the beginning? Like, ir al cine, would be going to the movies. She is looked very confident of her answer, is from Cuba, and her job is to help everybody's grammar. So I am very certain that she is strong in grammar.

For the rapido one, I think that it is an adverb, so it would be quickly or rapidamente. Hopefully we get the answer to these problems on Monday.:)

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

RBC13, if you recieve any feedback from your Spanish teacher, please post. I appreciate it.

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Well, my spanish teacher wasn't hear today, and I told Mrs. Llana to give it to her. She was at some kind of senior scheduling thing, not really sure what that is. But she should be here tomorrow.

I would go straight to Mrs. Llana, but she can't really explain things as well as my teacher. The best way i figure is to let her talk to my teacher in spanish, and she can translate into english for me. That way everyone will be comfortable, and not much misinterpretions will be made.

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

My teacher said that Mrs. Llana didn't talk to her yet. Not sure why. But I have her on Thursday, the last day of finals for my school, so I will either get some answers from her, or will go to Mrs. Llana. One way or another i plan to get some answers.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Did you get the answers yet?

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Also, does anyone here in this board have a copy of the 2003 released AP Spanish Language Exam? I want to know the curve for this administration. Thanks a lot. I would really appreciate it.

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Well, my teacher still hadn't talked to Mrs. Llana, so I didn't want to bother her. Seeing as I can't even remember what I put for the controversial issues and I am done with school, the answers aren't really important to me now. Sorry I didn't get the answers, but if you really want to talk to her, you can fly to Phoenix, go to Pinnacle High School, and ask for Mrs. Llana tomorrow. Good luck on your score!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page