MATH WORD PROBLEM HELP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: MATH WORD PROBLEM HELP
By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

can sum1 solve dis step by step

A child and his father blow up balloons together for a party. The child inflates two balloons for every three done by his father. How many balloons are inflated by each person to total 80?

how do i put two baloons for every 3 in algebra form again i juss got confuised

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Ok so the child blows two balloons for every three his father blows.
We dont know how many his father blows so we can say that the child blows (2/3)x or 2/3 of what his father blows.
So to total 80, we need how many the father blows (x), and how many the child blows (2/3x)
so we set up... x+(2/3)x = 80. So (5/3)x = 80. Multiply both sides by 3 3(5/3)x = (80)3 and we get 5x=240. Divide both sides by 5 (5x)/5 = (240)/x so x = 48. Now that is how many the father blew since we denoted x to equal how many the father blew. To find how many the son blew, we just simply subtract the fathers from the total (80-48) which equals how many the son blew, or 32. Or plug the x (48) into (2/3) x and you will get the same answer of 32. It works so its done.
I presume this is an SAT question?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page