Michigan is the Smartest State

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Michigan is the Smartest State
By Ash86 (Ash86) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

The average SAT score in Michigan is 1140 compared to the National average of 1026. How can Michigan's SAT scores be so much better than the rest of the Nations?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

I think you're misinformed. Firstly, I think Nebraksa/South Dakota or something like that has the highest scores because only about 5% of their graduating seniors actually take it (the others take the ACT), and only the ones very serious about college in the east will take the SAT. Secondly, most of Mich takes the SAT and they're not exceptionally brilliant there, so I don't know about your facts.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

I am not sure about Michigan in particular, but I do know that in the midwest the prefered test is the ACT. What happens is that in general, the more intellegent students take the SAT too. Thus, a higher average score.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Michigan's mostly ACT, which has already been stated to be more popular in the west and mid-USA. However, most of the top schools are in California or northeast, which all prefer the SAT. Therefore, if a student is trying to get into one of those type schools, he or she would take the SAT and do well on it.

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

hey, i live in MI, and i'll just let the innuendo about our intelligence slide... :-P

as flattering as it would be to say MI has the highest scores, for PSATs, states like NY, VA, MA, etc usually have slightly higher cut-offs for NMS than MI, so MI probably isn't the very top

By Atpchik (Atpchik) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Michigan is a genius state of course! Everyone knows that...

By Sssran87 (Sssran87) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

As a guy from NJ, I would just like to state that NJ is the smartest state as per the tests that measure REAL knowledge, the AP's. NJ has the nations highest AP scores. At least that's what the governer says in his radio ads.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page