Colleges take best composite, so can I just NOT DO verbal se

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Colleges take best composite, so can I just NOT DO verbal se
By Miumiu016 (Miumiu016) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

I got a 760 on verbal, which is about what I've been scoring on 10 Reals, but a 730 on math. The reason I dropped 70 pts was because I was super burned-out from the doing verbal sections and the extra math experimental section :(

Now on the upcoming June SAT, if colleges really only take your highest math + highest verbal score, I could just leave the verbal part blank and focus on getting 800 in math, right? And if colleges do see the 200V won't they realize I just decided not to do it, esp since I got a 760 the first time around? Or does this sound like a really, really bad idea?

By Mattman (Mattman) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

Never purposely do bad on a section. Even if they don't officially say they have a policy against it, it leaves a bad impression of you as a student (akin to a straight-A student into Harvard who decides to slack off his final semester and making D's cause he's already in).

By Ragnathor (Ragnathor) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

Some colleges may do this, but there are plenty that take only the highest combined in one sitting. I would strongly advise you not to do it.

By Tarrasq (Tarrasq) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 04:31 am: Edit

i definately skipped the experimental section on my sat, and still got 1540

By Miumiu016 (Miumiu016) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

See, I'm applying to NYU ED. They claim they take your highest math + highest verbal (not necessarily in one sitting). What I'm worried about is what they'll think if they see the 200 on the Verbal. I should probably call them, right?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

How do you do this without cheating? You are not allowed to work on the Math section during the Verbal section (it would be fairly obvious if you were punching away into your calculator). So unless you just use the Verbal section to relax (which would be remarkably stupid) you won't get a 200 on that section. What you could do is just not stress out over the verbal section but still fill it out. That way you would get something decent enough so as not to be suspect.

By Jdm2004 (Jdm2004) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Theyll prolly also think you cheated and took the whole 3 hrs or whatever it is on the one section

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

completely skipping the verbal sounds like a veryyyyy bad idea. I suggest u just relax in the verbal section, get all the easy ones right, DON't read the passages over and over again, just go w/ ur best guess, and basically save enough energy for the math. make sure u get above 650 if ur highest is 750 or something

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page