Sparknotes SAT II Books - So Good!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Sparknotes SAT II Books - So Good!
By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

Just wanted to give my own recommendation for test prep books...I just started using Spark Notes books to prepare for US History and Writing and I have found their review material to be extremely helpful and to the point and their tests to be extremely accurate and "real" feeling. So much better than Barrons or Princeton Review in my opinion

By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:28 am: Edit

Yeah I'm using sparknotes for bio and 2c. I bought them because, well, I was in a hurry and they were the first I saw. But I'm satisfied with them as well.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

2c 5 extra tests book is great...so's the writing...

BUT how hard are they? i always feel they are easier than the real tests?

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

I used sparknotes writing online version (don't know if its the same as the book version but i'm assuming it is), and I thought the exaplanations of the materials were good but the practice tests, while helpful were much easier than the real thing. I consistently got in the 700's on MC in their writing tests and got a nasty surprise come the actual test...missed about half of the MC when i only missed 6 on the practice tests, so I don't think they are very realistic.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 01:15 am: Edit

but the real may test was pretty hard...harder than barron's

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

i agree the may writing was a killer

By Madjoy (Madjoy) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Kaplan was really helpful for me :) I got Sparknotes for IIc though, and it looks really helpful

By Frenchfries (Frenchfries) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

I used Sparknotes books for Writing and U.S. History. I thought they were VERY close to the actual tests, especially the writing. For writing, the essay topics were dead-on (unlike Barron's) and the MC was good as well. I always got 800s on the writing practice tests, and that's what I got on my real test too. For history, I got around 780s on my practice tests. When I took the real history test, I thought it was really hard initially. After some worrying about it though, I realized the only hard parts were about 5 obscure questions (Stuff about Iran in the 1980s that I had never learned, etc), so my confidence was restored as was my love for sparknotes. I got an 800 on History too :)

If you take the time to read the books instead of just doing the practice tests, the reviews are really good too. I already have Barron's for Math IIC which I'm taking in June, but I was thinking of just picking up sparknotes anyway because I love the brand oh-so-much.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Wow, seriously? I'm taking Writing and Math IIC in June, maybe I should invest in Sparknotes. I borrowed a Precalc book from my old teacher and I have the REA book, so I don't think I'll need one for Math. Writing is a different story. Other than the tests, what is good about the Writing book?

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

What about Physics? I have the Kaplans book, but it is definately easier than the sample questions at the CB website. What's your opinion on PR, Sparknotes, REAL SAT IIs for physics?

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Just looked at sparknotes.com, I can't believe they post the entire contents of each book online! It would be easier to actually hold the book and carry it around, but I'm not going to waste money on something I can get for free.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

i think the book is more in depth...

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Nope, it's exactly the same, with the practice test and everything. The only disadvantage is it's online, and the font is kind of small. And the book must have 5 practice tests, because there is only 1 for free online - you have to pay for the other 4.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

ohhhh so the online tests are the same as the review book tests?? I never got a review book...i just bought those 5-more-tests books...those are awesome

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Nah, just checked and you only get 1 practice test. You have to pay for the other 4. Oh well, it's still a pretty damn good deal.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Can someone please answer my question on a better physics SAT II prep book. Kaplans just isn't cutting it for me. Thanks.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Ugh, I've been reading that Sparknotes book for an hour and my eyes are killing me. That's enough of that. Even though I'm reading good info I feel like I'm wasting my time because I'm on the computer. Sparknotes is playing a mind game here, forcing me to go out and buy the book.

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

can someone post a link to the sparknotes site?? i cant find it

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

uhhh you guys can just copy and paste the words into your microsoft word...and then enlarge the text in there lol...or just textpad...

use google.com, lisa

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

The Sparknotes Math IIC was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Really? Can't comment on the book, but their practice tests seemed pretty much on par.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

yea...i think the math 2c practice tests are too easy...but then again...i score about the same on PR...still waitin for my barron's book to arrive by mail...see how hard those are...

By Wrathofgod64 (Wrathofgod64) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Sparknotes Math IIc was incredibly helpful. I bought the book of 5 tests and scored b/w 760-790 on them, and on the actual test i scored 780.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

damn..im only scoring 700 and 720 on the first 2 :(

g2 stop making stupid errors...

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

If font size is a problem then go to Tools->Internet Options->Accessibility->Ignore font size specified on Web pages. Then go to View->Text Size and change it to the size you want.

Unless that was only a problem for me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page