Stupid question....*don't throw stones at me*

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Stupid question....*don't throw stones at me*
By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

I just got SAT scores and its like 800M 750V. I'm a soph rite now, but should I retake in the fall for a higher verbal score, or is it just luck here? I'm not too familiar with all this...btw I'm going for HYPMS...so should I retake the 1550?

P.S. if this is a dumb question don't shoot me please

By Bard (Bard) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

I thought that Sophmores had to take the New SAT

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

some colleges will still accept old scores until they are completely exhausted(ie. columbia)

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

yeah,

but the old SAT is like the easy way out. Its been out for way too long and its techniques have alreadybeen mastered by a lot of students.

So that is why they created the new SAT and also because they have need standards now

So I feel that taking the New SAT also is better.

By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 09:19 am: Edit

But the problem is, more than half the juniors I know this year took the SAT before March, meaning that next year, a similiar situation will most likely occur, and since the new one only comes out in March, half the people would have taken the old one already. So they can't count it my year first.

But anyway back to the question...say you were a junior then...Would you retake in fall trying for the big 1600? I don't know what to do...

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit

Vinny

This is the reality: you do NOT have to take it again and probably SHOULD not. Raising the SAT Verbal from 750 is quite hard and there will very little change in the evaluation of your scores by the elite schools. One of the theories that seem valid is that all verbal scores above 750 are viewed as ... perfect and get the same valuation as an 800.

Regarding the old versus new SAT. ALL your scores enter in consideration and are grandfathered, except for the UC system that is again leading the clowns' parade when it comes to the SAT/SATII. [introduce the little PT Barnum tune}. Most schools will have a reasonably intelligent approach -something well beyond the capacity of UC- and continue to allow historical scores from multiples sittings. You can find some guidance on the Duke site regarding this.

You will still have to take a writing test in the form of the SATII Writing or ... the new SAT or ACT. Since most schools require 3 SATII, I would recommend to sit for the SAT-II Writing and focus your efforts on acing that one. This will also validate your 750 Verbal score.

My recommendation would be to take the SATII Writing before March 2005. If you feel like it, you could always take a gamble on the new SAT after March 2005: you have NOTHING to lose, the test WILL be easier for anyone looking at elite schools.

You have put yourself in the driver's seat by scoring so high and you can enjoy several choices that are all positive to you.

By Amitoman (Amitoman) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

many colleges are requiring the new sat for the class of 2006. you may want to ask colleges you'd like to go to before making the executive decision on whether you should or should not take the new one.

good job on your score. that is excellent

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Amitoman~

Do not confuse requiring a Writing verbal test and requiring the new SAT. The list on The College Board reflects the first requirement. In fact, very FEW colleges have announced that they will only accept the new SAT. Those are the schools that typically used the best scores in one sitting. The overwhelming majority of the schools will CONTINUE to accept the best individual scores regardless when they were earned. However, the dilemma will disappear soon as the SAT-II Writing will not be offered long after the introduction of the new SAT.

By Amitoman (Amitoman) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

hmm.. thanks for the clarification, xiggi

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Hey, no sweat!

I am sure that a definitive list will start to emerge in the next weeks/months. Let's hope that it will become clearer before the fall to allow testers to sign up for the October through January tests.

It will be a good idea to have a thread with updates as March 2005 approaches.

By 2bad4u (2bad4u) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

The overwhelming majority of the schools will CONTINUE to accept the best individual scores regardless when they were earned
bu doesnt this totally defeat the purpose of having one standard test?

By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I think, however, that the National Merit Scholarship will require the new SAT, so I might (probably) end up taking the new SAT anyway. Does this mean I should study for and take the Writing SAT II this fall anyway?

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

what about the SAT II Ic math since new SAT will have higher math. will they take that one away too?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page