Math IIC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Math IIC
By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 07:21 am: Edit

Hey-

Just seeking some advice on what I should do here: I'm signed up to take the Math IIC on June 5th, but I'm wondering whether I should switch to the Math IC. My math class this year (Junior year) is Pre-Calc, and I've got an A in it, but there are several topics on the exam that we never covered because our class doesn't meet enough due to scheduling problems.

Topics not covered include Polar Coordinates, Advanced Permutations, Vectors (though I have covered them in Physics), 3-D Coordinate Geometry (and 3-D graphic analysis in general), Sets (we've done union, but nothing more), Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences, and Limits.

Will it be possible for me to self-study this in the remaining time without killing myself? My textbook actually has all the topics in it, but I'm kind of busy as it is so if it turns out that it will be a huge amount of work to prepare myself I may just switch to the IC.

Thanks, --Cognitio

By Slinky333 (Slinky333) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit

I'd take the IIC, schools prefer if you do, they really aren't that hard, in fact the average IIC score is higher, and you can miss a couple topics, get like 5 or 6 questions wrong and still get an 800.

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

IIC will look like you challenged yourself, just like taking the hardest courses challenges you. The IIC is a LITTLE harder in my opinion, but the scale is much more forgiving than the IC. So, I would not hesitate to take the IIC

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Honestly, I thought the same thing (I never even took precalc) but the test prep books stress those aspects much more than the real test does. Do you have a Barrons book? Throw it out if you're looking for realistic tests. BTW, I just got 800 IIC.

By Encomium (Encomium) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Hi, my precalc class hasn't covered those either (we're starting sequences next week)...I'm hoping to teach myself everything or rely on my ti-89

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

rely on your calculator, thats what i did and i as well as 10% of the people that took it got a 800. much better than my 660 writing.

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

If you are a strong math person, you should be able to teach them all to yourself in a day or two.. not sure relying on your calculator is a good idea though :/

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page