OFFICIAL AP BIO FR predictions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: OFFICIAL AP BIO FR predictions
By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Prolly one on cellular respiration or photosynethesis describing its processes or one of the ap labs
sumtimes they pick topics that r in the current news maybe stem cells
what other ideas do u ppl have?

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

The AP lab will probably be one of these:
- Circulation and Exercise
- Molecular Biology
- Mitosis and Meiosis
- Transpiration
- Respiration
- Animal Behavior

Not a very narrowed list, but I'm sure it will be one of these.

By Mochaweb85 (Mochaweb85) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Aim78
how do you know?

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Just by looking at past labs. They usually don't repeat a lab until a certain amount of years have passed. Here's the list:

2003-drosophila
2002-diffusion/osmosis
2001-dissolved oxygen
2000-enzymes
1999-photosynthesis
1998-DNA technology
1997-genetics
1996-phtosynthesis/growth
1995-DNA technology
1994-enzymes
1993-circulation & exercise
1992-diffusion & osmosis

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

labs 4, 5, or 9 im guessin

By Mochaweb85 (Mochaweb85) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Thanks =)

By Doubleplay263 (Doubleplay263) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

what about the labs that have been on form B? do you think they take those into consideration when picking the lab FR q?

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

prolly i thnk they only have had form bs for the last two (2003 and 2002)

By Maverick27 (Maverick27) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

anything else guys?

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

lets see what it is not going to be on
2003-drospholia w/ chisquare, regulatory mechanisms, population curve, and death
all these topics probably wont be on it

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

im guessin something on evolution probably
w/ plant photosynethesis or transpiration

why do u ppl think?

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

bump

By Chrisk (Chrisk) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

dumb question: are calculators allowed? (for problems like the chi^2 problem)

By Doubleplay263 (Doubleplay263) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

No

By Swizzbeatz905 (Swizzbeatz905) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Can someone please cover the details i would need to know for the transpiration lab. I missed that class last week. That would really be appreciated thanks.

By Wonderchic (Wonderchic) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Transpiration lab (this is a review that my teacher did):

Terms:
* transpiration - evaporation of water from the plant's surface from stomata
* Water is absorbed by the roots of plants and then is drawn up the xylem as it's pulled by the force of transpiration. Water evaporates from the stomata because the water potential is greater inside the leaf than outside.

1. Measure transpiration using a potometer. This is made by cutting a shoot of a plant, attaching it to some clear tubing, and immersing the contraption in water. A pipette is attached to the other end of the tubing to measure the water lost. (It's basically a u-shape, with a plant out of one end)

The intial reading on the pipette is recorded, and you can measure water loss by looking at the pipette every 3 minutes for 30 minutes. THe conditions tested are:
a) room conditions
b) floodlight to provide heat
c) fan
d) mist

The most transpiration will occur under the floodlight concentrations, least when the plant is misted. You can calculate the total surface area of the leaf by tracing the leaf over a grid, and then you can figure out how much water is lost per square meter of the leaf.

2. Slice off a very thin cross section of a stem in order to look at the xylem, phloem, epidermis, parenchyma cells, sclerenchyma cells, and collenchyma cells. Then you draw it.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

by the way, what is a respirometer?? im not really familiar with all the instruments and stuff used in the labs

By Bobbyh (Bobbyh) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

can someone give me the major points of photosynthesis? that's the worse chapter for me.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Respirometer is a pipette inserted in a vial that, as the oxygen's being used up, it pulls in water from the surroundings. Thus, the volume of O2 and the rate of respiration can be measured by the volume of water that enters the pipette...
something like that.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

light:
thylakoid membrane: light hits PS II, splits water into H+ and O2, O2 diffuses out of the cell, H+ goes into lumen, raises pH, creates gradient

when pH in lumen is raised to approx 30,000 (i think) times that in the stroma, H+ begins to (finally) move along the gradient of the proton-motive force, thru a channel protein called the CF complex, the CF protein consists of ATP synthase, which converts an ATP from ADP for every 3 H+s

meanwhile electron is released by PSII, and kinda like the electron transport chain, it moves from cytochrome to cytochrome (protein with iron thingys attached) until it reaches PSI, where NADP changes to NADPH, i think

calvin:
in stroma: three 5-carbon sugars, (ribulose 5 1 bisphosphate) gets sdomething done to it by rubisco, a CO2 comes in, something else gets done, G3P (glyceraldehyde 3 phosphate), a 3-carbon sugar, is released...so like after 2 turns, u have two 3-carbon sugars, a cell then converts it into a glucose.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page