Worst Sat score you have ever seen

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Worst Sat score you have ever seen
By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

here is a board to discuss the lowest Sat score you have ever seen. not heard seen....
i have seen a 760 m320 v440, and the bball player kevin garentt got less than the acc requirments which i think is less than 800...anywho poast ur scores

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

One time, I saw an Asian kid who made a 1400! THATS RIGHT, A 1400! He was never seen again...

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

pianoman - you are kidding me, right? i don't know ANY asians in my school that passed the 1400 mark (okay, maybe a few that did better but not many...)

i know a bunch of people with scores that are 800 are less. PLENTY...people rejoice for passing the 1000 mark. lowest i think was around 700....

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

I go to a ridiculously academic school with over 70% Asians. I have seen people crying over a 1540, and I don't know personally know anyone who has scored less than a 1300.

By Wulfffish (Wulfffish) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Silverstar: that is insane

ANyways, the lowest I've ever seen is a 750 - I don't konw the breakdown - but the kid was a senior - it was his first time taking it.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

"I have seen people crying over a 1540"

they should be slapped.

By Meggykewpie (Meggykewpie) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

I got a 720 I think when I took it in 6th grade.

By Godis (Godis) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

400. the guy was damn proud.

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

A kid in special-ed in my school got a 670 COMBINED. But, the funniest thing I heard was some girls saying how their friend did really well on the SAT- 950 and they wished they could get that. HAHAHAHAHAHA

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

hey...why are you all laughing? alot of people can't get past a 1200...there is only a handful of US that gets a 1600.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

my first practice test in sept was a 390 verbal and 490 math i think i was picking random answers now im scoring around a 1300

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

the average for usa is around 1000, so 50% get on or BELOW 1000. Guys, don't make fun of them. And people who cry over 1540s, well, they probably have some kind of emotional/mental problems. I think lower than 2 or 3 percent get higher than 1500.

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Yeah, really, it's not the end of the world if you score low on the SAT. I know plenty of people transfering from community colleges, or just going to small colleges where they average is around 1000. They'll probably have great careers. The SAT isn't going to determine the rest of your life. Some people on here act like over 1300 is TERRIBLE. Over 1300 is great. Over 1500 is outstanding. Personally, I'm proud to have a 1380. Some people are proud to have a 1000. Good for them:)

By Blwann45 (Blwann45) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I think a problem is that all those courses create for us a higher standard than we should. I for one was so very upset with my 1270. I hoped to have broke at least 1300 on my may, but I don't know what to expect. Since I've only seen my score report, 1270 is the lowest I've seen, lol

By Silverfish (Silverfish) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Blwann45: but also the highest you've seen~ :)

By Princess_Banana (Princess_Banana) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

So what did you get on your SATs?
Friend #1: umm.. like 6 something, 630 i think
Me: Combined???
Friend #1: uhh.. yeah. is that bad?
Me: well...
Friend #2: YES it IS!
but we all laughed about it, #1 is a crazy mofo, JC-bound and proud

but no the worst I have ever seen is a 490. it's kind of depressing how bad my school is, honestly >80% score below a 1000. And we are PRIVATE :(

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Kevin Garnett scored a 760? And he still makes more money then 99% of people who scored higher then him.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

"the average for usa is around 1000, so 50% get on or BELOW 1000. Guys, don't make fun of them"

I agree. For the most part. There are those who aren't smart and able to take tests or perform as well as others and no one should make fun of another person for their inabilities. However, there are those that people that everyone has at their school that makes fun of everyone else for just being different from them. A lot of these people are ignorant and dont try at school for no other reason than not being a "dork" and a lot of them are probably those that score the lowest scores at our schools. So to make fun of them, of someone who doesnt even try, I have no problem with anything like that. If anyone thinks that I feel this way from past experiences as a way to get back at people, it isn't. I scored extremely high for my high school but avoid at all costs to give out my score and dont show haughtiness if I do.

By Greg530 (Greg530) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

actually kevin garnett (who graduated from Farragut Academy in Chicago) took the ACT and scored "three points below the minimum to be eligible for NCAA sports." The minimum score is 18. Supposedly, he retook it and got an 18.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

No way. Kevin Garnett is too hot to be stupid.

The lowest I've heard of is this girl I was talking to in gymn class that made around 650-ish, I forgot what it was exactly. It was weird because I had felt bad about my score until then, and seeing her be okay with a 650 really put me in my place for being such a whiner.

By Amiteinvestment (Amiteinvestment) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Ive only taken the SAT1 once...I didnt know what to expect but I never took any prep courses and never even read any of the review books. I scored an 1140 (570m 570v) I only had 3 hours of sleep that night so i figure i can do alot better than that plus i ran out of time on the math cause the proctor wrote the wrong time to stop at on the board so when, according to the time on the board, i should have had 15 minutes left for 9 problems she called time I was so mad. Should I retake them? I need to finish out my last youth year and first amateur year on my competition circuit so im not 100% sure im gonna go directly to a 4yr college. I just took the SAT2 so im waiting for those scores back to...what do you think?

By Synapse (Synapse) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I got a 1240 after retaking it 4 times lol. I kept on getting low 1200s and I wanted a 1300 so badly. But the week before my last Sat my grandmother passed away and I had absolutely no time to study, because I was at the funeral the day before. Needless to say I completely bombed the Sat's and got a 970 lol.

By Wonderchic (Wonderchic) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

"Hey mom, I got an 800!..."
"Great! On which part?"
"...TOGETHER!"

One of girls at my school on the phone to her mom. Too bad she was genuinely excited.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

I think the reason some people are so shocked to find out about people with such relatively low SAT scores is because of the clear establishment of cliques in high school roughly based on academic proficiency.

In other words, smart people tend to hang out with smart people and vice versa.

By Scoo8b (Scoo8b) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

I don't know about the SAT, but a certain junior football player at my school who is getting recruited by the University of Iowa got a 13 on his ACT. I think he needs 16 to be eligible, does anyone know for sure? Actually, Big Ten might have higher standards thatn NCAA ones...

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit

A friend of mine got a V210 M230.

By Ilovefood (Ilovefood) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

What's the site with the guy who retook the SAT on purpose and got a 400 with almost the lowest possible raw score, like a -15 or something...somebody posted it a few months back - his score report was my background for a while.

By Oovelknoovel (Oovelknoovel) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

i think that's slashdot.org Ilovefood...but silly question - how can people score SO low on the SAT?? as in, are they a) not literate or b) not knowledgeable of any math past 2+2??

By Shhh (Shhh) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

I know someone who got a 740 math and like a 460 verbal...ouch

and i know someone who got like a 710 verbal and like a 300something math....ouch

" the funniest thing I heard was some girls saying how their friend did really well on the SAT- 950 and they wished they could get that. HAHAHAHAHAHA "

haha sounds like my school. I remember when i took the PSAT in tenth grade i got like a 1080 and the kids in my GIFTED english class were all like WOW YOU DID SO AWESOME!!

And i dont think its about intelligence, i think its about preperation, thats why when someone gets a 1000 or lower i ask "well did you study?" and if they say no, i say "well then thats why, you shouldnt be upset about it, thats good for not studying."

By Ishouldflee (Ishouldflee) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

The harshest score I think I know about is a kid at my school who got an 800 math and a 410 verbal... ouch

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

The worst recorded score of a person who took the test and answered all questions is definitely 400 (200 each on verbal and math) which is the lowest score possible. It was done by Colin Fahey, an adult with a master's degree, who set out to see if he could in fact make the lowest possible score, which requires actually answering just about every question wrong -- not answering any questions results in automatic cancellation and thus no score; answering some wrong and leaving most blank will actually put you quite a bit above 200 per test.

By Infernalpanda (Infernalpanda) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

"haha sounds like my school. I remember when i took the PSAT in tenth grade i got like a 1080 and the kids in my GIFTED english class were all like WOW YOU DID SO AWESOME!!"

Haha, I remember when other people took the psat in tenth grade and got a "1080" - except that they added all three of their scores together...

By Infernalpanda (Infernalpanda) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

"haha sounds like my school. I remember when i took the PSAT in tenth grade i got like a 1080 and the kids in my GIFTED english class were all like WOW YOU DID SO AWESOME!!"

Haha, I remember when other people took the psat in tenth grade and got a "1080" - except that they had added all three of their scores together...

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

My school's average is like 800, cumulative. Hahaha. Hopefully, I brought it up a little bit... Lol. Too add to the low scores thing, there's this chick in my bio class, and she says one day, "Yah. I got like a 510 on the writing. That's pretty high, huh. Isn't the entire test only out of 540 anyway?" I about died laughing. But then again, I just 3/4-ed bio, so I shouldn't talk. I'm a miserable failure, too. But man, that was funnnnyyyyyyyy!

By Poiz0n (Poiz0n) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

haha Modestmouse same in my school. The average in my school on the SAT is like a 760, which is pretty sad, but thats beside the point. There are many who are ecstatic with a 900, and when they heard I got a 1360, they almost lifted me up to carry me to Harvard...How funny, yet so sad lol..

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Lol... Yah. Let's keep this post going... Make those 1590s feel better about not getting the 10 points...

By Vapajude87 (Vapajude87) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

"The harshest score I think I know about is a kid at my school who got an 800 math and a 410 verbal... ouch"

Our school actually has several students who get scores similar to that. It's usually the native Japanese speakers (they make up about 25% of the student population): brilliant at math, but horrible at english. A good friend of mine got a 750 for math and a 450 for verbal. yes, ouch!

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

To get every question wrong, couldn't you just bubble in more than one bubble per question, or would they just not count it?

Oh, and one other thing.

Ubercollegeman- "I think the reason some people are so shocked to find out about people with such relatively low SAT scores is because of the clear establishment of cliques in high school roughly based on academic proficiency.

In other words, smart people tend to hang out with smart people and vice versa. "

Exactamundo. Exact-a-freakin'-mundo.

By Undiluted (Undiluted) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Ohh man... my school = ridiculously competitive, basically, 1/2 Asian and 1/2 Jewish... I'm a junior, we've got 5 kids with 1600s already (and all 5 are immigrants.)

It's actually a stigma to be in AP classes here and have below a 1400. I've often considered how much I'd love going to a less competitive school, with a lower SAT average, only because the stress level must surely be lower. I appreciate how well prepared I am for tests on account of my rigorous academic education, but I don't appreciate the grade-grubbing perfectionist attitude upheld by most of my peers. It fosters feelings of inferiority and incompetence over simple numbers.

Also, many intelligent kids have their parents call them in with some random learning disability so that they qualify for three extra hours (or more) on the SAT, and consequently score very well. And, of course, colleges never see this...

Meh. Too much variance in American education.

By Dallasstar (Dallasstar) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

The SAT is very very random, in my opinion, and those people with very low scores are not idiots by any means, especially if they did not study. In my case, when I took the SAT for the first two times, I just winged it and got a 1290 and 1340. However, when I actually studied (only for 4 days) for my third try, all of a sudden, there was a magic jump to 1540. A test that can be so easily taken advantage of without the learning of significant amounts of new material shouldn't be given as high a priority as it is, in my opinion. It's sad that it counts for so much in American school systems.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

In one sitting, I got 800 M, 520 V

By Phyliciasteph (Phyliciasteph) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

to the person who mentioned the cliques... you are absolutely right. In my school there are two tracks, the advanced, and the regular,..and some kids do 1/2 and 1/2. but the advanced kids since they have the same classes stick with the advanced kids, the regulars do the regulars. i honestly dont know 1/2 the regular kids,..i know their faces, but i dont talk to them.

My school's average is a 1000, the more wealthier school in my district's is 1100.

The lowest sats i've seen is a 700 and she was happy and didn't care cuz she still got into the college she wanted too. I was shocked cuz i would seriously be crying my ass off.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

either 620 or 630 is what my friend got- but then he studied like CRAZY, and with diligence he was able to raise it to a 1090- pretty good bump.

By Allena (Allena) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

I got an even 1000 on my SAT. However when I took the SAT I knew that I was going to a CC and the SAT meant very little, if anything, for me. So that 1000 was on absolutly no preperation. Had I actually worked towards it, my score would have been much much higher.

By Doubleg326 (Doubleg326) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 09:10 am: Edit

If you look through the lower tiers of the US News rankings, you can find schools whose 25th to 75th percentiles are like 600+ to 800+ (combined).

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Well. When my school handed out PSAT scores this kid was like, woah, i got a 1300! So my friend looked at his score report, and he'd added all three scores (math, verbal, and writing)- haha- so figure that on each section he averaged about a 430.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page