APs and grades

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: APs and grades
By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:03 am: Edit

I'm curious as to whether teachers in other schools tend to have any policies regarding how AP exams affect grades.

At my school there is a quasi-official policy in several departments that if a student recieves a 4 or 5 on the exam, both their semester grades are retroactively changed to 5s, and if a student recieves a 3 their grades become Bs (unless of course they were As before). All this at the teacher's personal discretion (they won't change your grade if you blew off all the homework for example).

This is not necessary in most departments, but for one particular US history teacher it defined how grades are given. Even though he changed his scale so that 85% is an A, 70% a B, etc., seldom more than 1 out of over 100 kids have As (a grade over 90 would be unheard of), due to his brutal tests and essay grading (scores in the 0-20% range are not unusual). But he gets great results on game day- he has had 100% pass rates in the past, and at least once recieved a letter from the College Board to inform him that one of his students had recieved literally a perfect score on the AP. So, despite the fact that often he gives no As initially, almost everyone ends up with an A in the end.

Do other schools do this or is this unusual?

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:19 am: Edit

This is not unusual, but my school doesn't allow it. Your grade in the course is your grade. You can't change it later.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

i wish i had a teacher like that. damn.

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I WOULDN'T want a teacher like that. Man, it'd suck to have to struggle like that through a school year even if does prepare you for the AP. I find that last-minute cramming is unusually effective so that my MC score can make up for poor essays.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page