AP Euro History

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: AP Euro History
By Ppangan (Ppangan) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

The test wasn't as bad as i thought. Although i did have a hard time with the essays for part c. i didnt know which one to write about! lol

By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Which one did you write about for c? I did the scientific revolution/religion/philosophy one

By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

DUDE...
my first AP is DONE!!! YAHHHHHH
i'm sooo euphoric right now.
everybody in my class (10 ppl--i'm the only guy, too) thought that the MC was MUCH harder, but the DBQ was SOOOOOOO EASYYY...

By Ra2000a (Ra2000a) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

omg it was so hard! seriously, i couldnt find a good essay for part B but for part c i choose the renaissance essay. but wasnt mc hard?

By Ra2000a (Ra2000a) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

omg it was so hard! seriously, i couldnt find a good essay for part B but for part c i choose the renaissance essay. but wasnt mc hard?

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

UGH! I thought the test was horrible.

Be careful talking about FR questions, we're supposed to wait 2 days.

By Yellow (Yellow) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

i thought the mc was hard...the dbq was easy...and the essays at first i thought they were soooo hard but after re reading them i think i did fine on them....

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

the MC was harder than anything i've ever seen on an AP Euro Practice..essays were easier i thought.

By Poobah3k (Poobah3k) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

I agree with the consensus, I feel much better about my essays than the multiple choice. Pretty surprising :-)

By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

I thought the MC was a lot easier than the essays. How long were your DBQ and other essays? Why do we have to wait 2 days to discuss the questions?

By Beebee (Beebee) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

wow, i just took the test, too. it was my first one. I think the mc was okay...there were about less than 10 i had to guess on. the DBQ was really easy. I wrote 2.5 pages (front and back). The free response about the Scientific Rev. was really easy -- 1.5 pages. The first part of the Free response was hard, but after reading it a few more times the dictator one seemed okay. I hope I get a 5 on it. I studied really hard. my head hurts.

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

when can we start discussing questions?

By Beebee (Beebee) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

in about 20 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well, at least for my part of the US (Chicago)

By K0w (K0w) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

OMG IM DONE!!! I never knew that history could be soo hard. especially the mc part. haha i made 2 snakes for 35-50 nd 60-67. i dunno how, i mean i didnt draw it for fun, i actually tried. neway, the dbq was SOO easy; i hope i get a 8. but the freeresponse... the dictator one was easy but i couldnt think of anything for the second essay.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

I got to the testing center 35 minutes into the MC. I guess that's enough said.

I answered 60 questions I think, skipping the ones I didn't know right away or didn't have enough time to think about. On the practice test I got a 5. But still it's safe to say there's basically no way I got above a 3, right?

By the way, I thought the DBQ was a little strange, not hard. I didn't have much outside information to bring to that. But Question 5 was a GODSEND. I hope I got an 8 on that so I have the thinnest sliver of a chance at getting a 4.

By Hiya (Hiya) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

MC was harder than i thought, but the essays were BEAUTIFUL... I did European unification and the Renaissance one :)

I forgot to talk about change over time for the DBQ... Was that necessary for this question?? I did a lot of point of view, which I hope would make up for it.

By Geoguy (Geoguy) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

I took 3 & 6 FRQs, and of course the DBQ. I felt confident responding to the DBQ.

The MC was harder than I expected. I got an easy 4 on the 1999 exam, but on this one, I had to skip 17 questions and was only really confident about 30 or so of them.

By Hiya (Hiya) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

My DBQ was 5 pages and both my other essays were 3 pages long each... my fingers had bruises... that's longer than have ever written...

By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

i did 3 and 6, too!!!

By Geoguy (Geoguy) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

3, 2, and 2 here

By Delacroix (Delacroix) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

what are the approximate cutoffs (MC and essays) for a score of 5 versus a 4?

By Beebee (Beebee) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

you know what, i don't even care anymore. the test is over, i got a lot wrong, but i tried my hardest. I DON'T CARE. anyways, the final for euro is on tuesday, and i am not even gonna study cuz i know mostly everything from studying for the AP exam...then, for the next two weeks or so in class is movies, movies, and more movies. It's the reward we get for working so hard during the year. Braveheart, S. List, and others...this is awesome. I will finally have a life after school again! Everyone celebrate...no more studying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Beebee (Beebee) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

by the way, are most of you guys sophomores? i am.

By Beebee (Beebee) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

When I was doing practice tests, my teacher calculated my score for getting 25 wrong (no blanks), with three 5s on the essays, to be a high 4.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Beebee thanks for the info. That's comforting to know.

By _Twinkletoes (_Twinkletoes) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

i'm a sophomore. i thought the DBQ was so easy and surprisingly fun to write. the essays were easy too. the mc was pretty good, a little tough, only had a problem with a couple. i've done well on all the practice tests so i feel pretty good now.

By Soljaofortune (Soljaofortune) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

wow i must beweird then. I found the mc to be pretty easy and the essays to be pretty hard. lol i must really suck at history

By Beebee (Beebee) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

How did you guys prepare for the test, not that it matters now. I started studying about three weeks before the exam, which was a mistake b/c i forgot everything. I read Princeton's Review, which sorry to say, is only good for last minute studying and for people who want 3s or 4s. It is really basic and doesn't focus on really important stuff. But, their practice tests are really close to the actual, so those did help with the explanations and all. So, the week before the test, I read Viault's "modern European History" which totally increased my score. Before studying this book I was getting 35 wrong (and I was getting really devastated cuz I wasn't making any progress). But then after reading Viault, I totally understood most topics and got only 20 wrong, which is a major improvement for me. As a final review (2 days before exam), I studied the online outlines for the textbook I have. So overall, I spent a lot of time studying and I think I did between a 4 or 5.

By Beebee (Beebee) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

wow, i am scared now. I just read on a thread about a kid who was talking about the MC questions, and they traced him down and now all of his scores are canceled. so, everyone, be careful!! That would be horrible if it happened...i would seriously cry forever.

By Karadarkblood (Karadarkblood) on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

oh Jesus, I did this test without even taking a class for it . . . the MC was really hard but I think I might have gotten about 50 (after deductions). The DBQ was okay, and the first essay response (the totalitarian dictator one) I filled five pages front and back; the second one - the Scientific Rev - sucked, I just rambled on about Catholicism and the fracturing of the church from science :( I ran out of pages in the FR booklet and had to use some extra paper.

By Jefinch20 (Jefinch20) on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

The MC didn't seem too hard for me, we definitely took harder practice ones in class. The DBQ wasn't too bad either. For the first essay I did number 4 and for the second essay I did number 6. For 6 I just rambled on about random stuff about the church. i think i have a chance at a 4. How long until we can talk about the MC?

By Jared (Jared) on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

SOMEBODY HELP!!!!

For #6, (I don't want to talk about specifics becuz of that rule) I based a lot of my essay on something that was outside of the time period given in the question! Will the AP graders be harsh because of this and ignore that part of the essay so I get a really bad grade? How much would this affect my grade if I thought the MC was ok and the DBQ was really easy? Is it optional to send your AP score to colleges or is this gonna be such a big deal that I should cancel the test? Thanks...I'm starting to be really worried about this

By Jefinch20 (Jefinch20) on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Even with being outside the time period, you could still get an ok grade on the essay as long as you argued your thesis well.

By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

I'm a sophomore... Our school has it so the AP Euro class is only 1 semester long. School ends in mid-June, so even less than a semester.
too unfair :(
oh well. It's over. I heard that some school's had done-with-ap-history day, burning all the materials they've dealt with (practice AP tests, etc) our school should have one.
Idk about the test anymore, either. 3 or 4... eh.. it's over.. letz rejoice!!
I've learned one thing: history's not my thing...
Who here are taking AP-US next year?

By Iancube (Iancube) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

I thought it was alright, the MC appeared harder than practices that I took (93' and Princeton/REA review books) but that could just be due to the fact that it was my first AP and the nerves were kicking in.

On a lighter note however, I thought the essays we're pretty simple and straightfoward, although I had a hard time coming up with specifics for FRQ #3.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

we can discuss specifics now, right?

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Only on the FR, and be careful anyways. I have a question, though, which I previously posted but is now in the archives. If I messed up one of the numbering of my essays in the pink booklet, but I correctly bubbled in my choices on the answer sheet, will I be penalized? I really hope I won't, as I think I did pretty well. That would suck.

By K0w (K0w) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

change it immediately. i told my librarian (ap coordinator) about how i numbered wrong on the essay, which i wrote 4 instead of 3 and bubbled in the wrong essay number on the front page of the answer book. she said that if anything was wrong as in numbering, they'll fail u. so, im gonna watch her change my numbering tomorrow. do it as fast as u can before ur ap coordinator sends in ur test

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

ugh why would they fail me? This doesn't make much sense...and I'm not sure if I can even change it. Are you 100% sure they would "fail me"? Wow, I studied my butt off for this test, and I hope it doesn't come down to this.

By Yossarian (Yossarian) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Did anybody do the 2nd FR on German/Austrian nationalsim? If so, what'd you write about? I stuck mainly to Bismarck, Hungary, imperialism, kulturkampf, French revolutions of 1848...

By Fuzzymittens (Fuzzymittens) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

I did it. I went with the same basic things you did.
Mostly german unification and austrian segmentation, so I contrasted germany-1870 with austria-pre WWI.
Should be all good. Tons of info to use with the hungarians. Gotta love 'em.

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

i wrote that nationalism led to unity in Germany and made it a major European power. It did the opposite for Austria, creating disunity among subjet nationalities such as the Magyars and caused Austria to drop out as one of the major European powers, which is evident WWI when Germany had to defend Austria

I mentioned
Frankfurt Assembly
Bismarck
Revolution of 1848 in Austria
March Laws, establishment of Austria-Hungary
evidence in WWI
etc. ..

I have a question about the topic on how tech and mass culture affected dictatorship.
Is nationalism and sparking public feelings a part of mass culture? I didnt really know what mass culture meant.

By Yossarian (Yossarian) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

I did the mass culture one too, my main focus was not only on nationalism in Germany as a precedent( I managed to squeeze 2 pages about Bismarck and Cavour here as well :) ), but also about huge rise in propaganda in the early 20th century(literature, books, radiox, posters, all tied into nationalism). Oh, I briefly mentioned the social condition of the European society post-WWI (devastation, poverty, etc.) and how it allowed dictators to become popular and powerful.

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Hey,

I noticed that people write more than me. Is it normal for a free response to be only pages long? Mines had 5-6 paragraphs with about 7 sentences each.

By Yossarian (Yossarian) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Cliche, I know, but it is quality, not quantity. I def think if your response was comprehensive you'll be fine. I know of ppl who did well on US without writing much, so don't worry.

By K0w (K0w) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

yea some ppl do that but i just try to cram everything i know into the page. i ended up writing 7 pgs for the dictator one! neway, wasn't the era between 1920-1939? i dont think cavour and bismarck lived during that time...

btw, i fixed the page and essay numbers with my ap coordinator today (she nearly wanted to kill me for changing those stuff. shudders) she said that usually they'll give u a 0 on the fr, but sometimes they let it go through if u have a easy grader. shes not exactly sure, but she remembered hearing about it at the grading session. sorry

By Mattman (Mattman) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Each essay normally runs about 1 to 2 pages, single space.

How can anyone misbubble in the page numbers? The test is college-level material and people are having trouble just filling in the basic information!

By Prethumous (Prethumous) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 04:00 am: Edit

Um, if you want to discuss some of the multiple choice questions, I'd be happy to participate.

My credentials? I got a 5 last year, and - believe it or not - I completely ****ed up the DBQ.

By Ccruner13 (Ccruner13) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

ok...5 pages front and back...i dont even know if theyll take you seriously! mostly mine were 1.5ish, i thnk i write pretty small. i did 4 and 7 but i cant remmber what was what...def. did the germany and austria nationalism one and someother one..heh..uh youall should list what they were so i can remember them. after both gov. tests today im toast..least im done now tho

and i thoguht the mc was fairly easy compared to the i think 94 test and someother one i took for kicks

did anyone jsut start rambling tryin to use sources for the dbq...i tried not to but i did

By Yossarian (Yossarian) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Yeah the dictator one was techinically the 20s and 30s I figured it couldn't hurt to give some background info though, roots, causes, stuff like that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page