Can Anyone Explain to Me the Riemann Hypothesis?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Can Anyone Explain to Me the Riemann Hypothesis?
By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Keep in mind I'm in Pre-Cal Honors
I'm interested in it after researching Nash's biography

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

If it would be way out of my league, what about Fermat's Last Theorem?

By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

mathworld.wolfram.com <= every math thing in the entire world

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Predicted that every zero on the Riemann zeta function, primes, underestimate of # of primes. Just spouting random knowledge I remember.

By Nabo (Nabo) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

i'm certainly not a math genius by any stretch of thet imagination, but understanding of the riemann hypothesis is the following:

the riemann hypothesis was used to predict the occurance of prime numbers. As numbers get higher and higher, the space between a prime number and the next one also increases. [the space between 7 and 11 is rather small, but for a 18907398217893127893172893 or whatever, the next is quite a bit higher]

Riemann created this crazy formula to attempt to predict how quickly the space between each prime increases as x approaches infinity.

on this crazy function, there are a bunch of zeroes. The zeroes are believed to be related to occurance of prime numbers.

however, riemann only offered this function as a hypothesis without a proof. The debacle about this function is whether its actually true [it seems to be by empiric evidence]

take this little summary as a grain of salt though. im sure another person floating out on the internet would be glad to enlighten us all.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page