AP Spanish Language

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: AP Spanish Language
By Roxysurfet (Roxysurfet) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

What did you guys think of the test (to non native speakers)?
- I thought the speaking part was relatively easy. The paragraph fill ins were difficult.

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

I got a 1. It was HARD as heck.

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

My friend took it and said her and the 4 other people are PRAYING for 2's. She was being dead serious.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

I have a question. I took the exam and I know that I did screw up on the essay (not extremely bad though)and also some of the speaking parts: omitting 1 direct response, didnt answer 2 of them with ease(hesistation) and did just alright,(few akward strucures and a couple of pronunciation, thats about it) I believe in the pictures, and the rest of the sections above average.(maybe no more than 15 wrong in section ) Do you think I can still obtain that 5? ALso, if anyone knows, what percentage of the test is needed to be correct to get a 4 or a 5? Answers to these questions are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

I had trouble with listening comprehension and one question on the speaking.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

The @ reading compton was OK. However, this time there were four reading passages. The last one wasn't very nice. The essay on government was pretty good, IMHO. I didn't do too hot for the tiempo libre verbal responses or the latas/can picture sequence.

By Smiliekat (Smiliekat) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

6-pic narrative sucks.
whats the safe score for a 5? like whats been the highest cuttoff score in the past? and how do they calculate the score?

By Smadans (Smadans) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Here's the deal folks.

To get a 5 either you walk out of the test thinking the thing was calk walk or tu eres de Mexico.

otherwise you gonna get a 3, or if May 4 was your lucky day, you are bringing home a 4

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

I think the test should be scored differently for native and nonnative speakers. But thats just cause I am a nonnative speaker. :)

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Does anyone know the approximate percentage to get a 4 or a 5 on this spanish AP test?

By Tweaks (Tweaks) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

FYI, the Spanish test is scaled to *college* nonnative speakers.

I heard of 130/180 as a 5, but I could never reach that myself, and I don't know the source very well.

The standards for the Directed Response are not terribly high if you're shooting for a 3, which I assume is about 45%. You'd want to average about 2/4 on each DR, and to do that, you just have to be "okay" in your speaking. This is a 1 response:

"me gusta peliculas de accion porque yo me gusta accion mucho."

A 2 would be like:

"Personalmente ... pienso que la accion esta muy importante, y me gusta peliculas de accion."

Or something like that ...

By Blind1595 (Blind1595) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 01:45 am: Edit

Quick question.... On the oral section where we actually had to talk into the tape recorder was everyone in the same room when all of you took the test? I wasn't able to really finish 2-3 oral questions because of the distractions. It was really hard to concentrate with 40 other people in the same room talking into their tape recorders. Did everyone feel the same way?

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

My teacher gave me a scoring worksheet of the AP Spanish Exam scoring:
134-180 5
114-133 4
86-113 3
63-85 2
0-62 1
Listening 30
Fill in multiple choice 18
Grammar error 8
Reading 30
Fill in free response 14
Essay 40
Picture sequence 18
Direct Response 18

And there is a nice little curve on each section too.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Are we allow yet to discuss the Free Response Portion of the exam?

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

RCB, please specify what it means by ...Picture seq. 18, essay 4,etc...Thank you

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

It means that they are out of that number.
7 on picture would be 14
9 on picture would be 18
7 on essay would be 31.5
9 on essay would be 40
you get the point

By Medadu (Medadu) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

I thought the listening section was relatively easy. The other MC was decent up until the RC. The RC really sucked, especially the last one. I think the essay wasn't that bad, but the speaking was rather hard. I couldn't figure out how to say can. So I was like, "La sopa cae en el suelo." I also stuttered a little bit. How harshly do they judge the speaking part? I mean, I did pretty well in the beginning, but then I got kinda off track and messed up a little. As long as I make sense, I should have scored above a 4 on the speaking right?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page