Anyone else think calc AB was killer?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Anyone else think calc AB was killer?
By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

I knew that stuff. 96 in the class, studied forever, yet I thought it was the hardest test I've ever taken. Anyone else think it was a bit harsh?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

I definitey think the first section (no calc, MC) was the hardest by far. Everything else was at least learned. Even for the first one, I only had forgotten some of the rules, so it was beastial when that happens. Beastial??

By Mariellergram (Mariellergram) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Yeah, the multiple choice was insane. I left 8 blank. You think there is a chance I might still pull a 3?

By Mrtomatohead (Mrtomatohead) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

i felt the opposite about it...i thought multiple choice was doable but the free response was killer. we seriously touched on slope fields 2 days ago, so i wasnt exactly prepared for that one. and the one with that crazy graph with multiple parts...craziness....

By Emyh (Emyh) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

The calculator MC was crazy. I gave up within the first 10 minutes.... and that's a 50 minute section!

By Princess_Banana (Princess_Banana) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

oh well if we all did crappy, its ok... they do grade on a curve right?

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

••••. I didn't think the MC was ALL THAT HARD. Is that bad? PR seemed easier. Um. I dunno. I think I scored my practice test average on the MC: 36-40(on a 54 scale, btw). But I feel pretty good about free response. Now, is the 5 cutoff 75 or lower? I think I barely made it...

By Glory (Glory) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

sigh...3 down...3 to go...Marieller: they say that missin about 10 on MC and doing decent (50%) on FR is still a 5.

yeah...throw ur hands up if u screwed up bigtime on FR.

sigh....i cant go through this again...im burning out, and im only half way through + all my finals.

By Terpfan101 (Terpfan101) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

supposedly cutoff for 5 is 68/108. But probably around 70. I am striving for a 4 but could have gotten a 5. on BC i didn't get 5+6 they were hard as hell. The rest i did, and probably got 15 or so wrong total on MC. I believe that would be close to a 5.

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

I'm hoping they have a big curve bc the calc MC and FR were INSANE. All the practice questions I did for FR did NOT help!

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Yah. Word to that Glory. I have two more to go... APUSH and Bio. Both killers on memorization and details. I probably shouldn't be on this board! LOL.

By Aquaholic (Aquaholic) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

I think it is simply the nature of AP tests to suck the life out of you and make you feel like the least intelligent, most rudimentary organism to ever attempt to speak, write, or do anything that requires a complex thought process... last year I felt like junk and wanted to cry after the Calc AB test, then I ended up getting a 5, so don't worry about how you feel, it's all part of the plan. Also, remember it's out of your hands now :) and once these two weeks of testing are over we can focus on summer! woohoo...

By Jinhamasaki (Jinhamasaki) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

omg the free response! Not only did some of the problems eat time they were HARD. Grr!! I couldn't get the volume of the stupid thing!

The MC was ok...I left like 4 blank on Non and 3 on calculator.

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

can u request ur raw score and essay grade?

By Reality (Reality) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

TERPFAN I THINK IM EXACTLY LIKE YOU.. :) I wrote some stuff for 5&6, but it was just me throwing up a prayer that i'd get it right haha.. hopefully will get 5's!

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Modestmouse- can't wait for that US friday. I'm hoping it will be better then calc. ANYTHING was better. Does anyone like, not remember the test? Both english and calculus...I remember sitting down and leaving but I don't remember any of it. Weird...

By Gregorystan (Gregorystan) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

I thought it was ok-but I didn't study enough to do well.

What do you need for a 3, 4, 5? Perecnetage? Points? or like how well you need to do

hey-at least it's over

and I am going to Berkeley!

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Ha...atleast you're already in! It sucks to be a junior. lol. Search for sites and with the calc grading scale and whatnot and you'll find the breakdown. I looked it up and I remember if you were to get a 3,4,5,8,9,9 on the FR you only have to have 18 MC right for a 4. lol. Random.

By Madrigal (Madrigal) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

I got a 5 without a doubt. I thought it was really easy . . . . . Of course, I had a great teacher, and I assume that not all of you are seniors.

By Gneugen (Gneugen) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

I didn't think much of the MC. In fact, here's my rating scale of difficulty.

FR (no calc)
FR (calc)
MC (no calc)
MC (calc)

(from easiest going down to hardest)

I mean, come on guys, the last free response was free points. So was the first for that matter... Anyways, I thought it was fair.

By Princess_Banana (Princess_Banana) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

well at least you're so modest about it

By Zzii (Zzii) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

I thought it was hard. FR no calc is what killed me. Hoping the rest will push me to a 5. If not, I still get credit for a 4. Less than 4 and I'll break something. :(

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

The college I'm HOPING to get into I only get credit for a 5. I went into the test thinking the FR would pull me over, but now that it's over It's gonna be the MC that does it for me.

By Ahhhhhmikey (Ahhhhhmikey) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Don't you just hate it when you answer a question, but then afterwards (when the test is over), you're left wondering if you actually did it the right way?! But I thought the multiple choice was easy except for like 3 questions that I didn't know... skipped one MC question... now i'm stuck wondering if i answered the free response correctly! AHhH! I'm hoping for a 5.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I feel totally stupid for not studying last night, lol. There was a lot of stuff I should have known on there. And not to mention, my friend forgot to pick me up so I was late to school. I was about to have a heart attack about missing the AP test and I've never run so fast across the school. I was pretty angry at my friend so it was hard for me to focus during the test :/

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

oh my GOD, the FRs were all killers, especially the noncalc ones
I hope its curved alot, because I think I got like only 1/2 of the FR points

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

It was a breeze for me...but, I owe it all to my great calc teacher. I missed like two FR out of the whole section because I read the questions in reverse order(put them in the wrong boxes...I still hate myself for this)..horrible. But other than that, the test was great. Multiple choice, left four blank and confident that every thing else I got right.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me if I can still get a five if I flipped two sub-sections(a, b, c things) over on the Free Response? I am pretty sure I got around 70% of the free response points. Thanks alot. And sorry to all those who did not do so well, I think as long as you have learned something from this class, it's all worth it!

By Roxysurfet (Roxysurfet) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

The free response questions were either really easy or difficult. The slope field problem was a gift. The other problem with the semicircle as part of the graph...no idea

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

I think you have a great chance to get a 5 if you got all the MC right, and did good on all the other FR. With high MC I don't think 2 low FR's would hurt you that badly.

By Wandering (Wandering) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I left five blank on non-calculator MC, none blank on calculator MC, and did reasonably well on the FR. I thought the test was more difficult than the practice tests (exams from past years) that we've taken in class. I got a 5 on the last practice exam I took (our final), and left 9 MC blank in that sitting... but, on that exam, I somehow managed a 52/54 on the FR, and I don't think I can count on that happening again. So, I'll say I got a 4 on the exam. (July should hurry up.)

By Wandering (Wandering) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Oh, yes... I meant to add that the general consensus of the class was that the exam was quite difficult.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

i thought it was easier than any practice test ive taken. the mc, i will admit there were a couple i did not get, but free response was a a joke, i was dissapointed, the english comp/language was harder than any practice, and the calculus ab was easier, i wish it were the other way around. college board thank you for the 5 :)

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

the girl next to me kept on trying to copy my answers, it got really annoying. shame on her, shes a senior, and im only a poor little junior. no pride or morals at all.

By Siavash8p (Siavash8p) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

I answered all of the FR and skipped 2 MC out of 54,and I got 15 extra minutes on the MC w/o calc... both of the skipped ones were from the calc section... I thought it was fairly easy... I had a great teacher also... I had doubt if I had to take it or not... because I`ll take BC next year

By Chen (Chen) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

d'oh! Kousuke, you just made me realize what I did wrong. Grr, and I knew the formulas for arctrig fxns. btw, advise you all not to talk about specific info from the test (you might want to edit that post) because CB are money whores.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

I remember an integral of the inverse tangent, not the derivative.

Multiple choice wasn't bad (unless I picked a lot of the trick answers), but free response was killer. I guessed on most of that, and just wrote what I could.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

the girl next to me kept on trying to copy my answers, it got really annoying. shame on her, shes a senior, and im only a poor little junior. no pride or morals at all. i actually noticed after the calculator FR, so i think she only got about half of the whole FR right, if any at all. after i began covering my paper she just sat there and flipped pages back and forth, and answered i think one of the three noncalculator FR questions...

By Chen (Chen) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

lol, kousuke. that's horrible. blatant cheating!

i thought the only semi-easy section was the first (no calc MC). I omitted probably about 8 on MC and winged the free response as well and made up my own logic. i think i might get a 4 tho cuz i felt like i caught some of the mistakes that someone might make on a lot of the MC questions. can someone explain the real curve?

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Yeah, how does scoring work? I heard you take your multiple choice score and multiply it by 1.2, and add the free response score. Is that true? What's it out of?

By 1212 (1212) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

i didnt think it was a killer i probably ended up with 95%+ of the raw score and from looking at the clock i ended up with total of 57 minutes free time during the whole test thats after i checked over every mc question once and every fr question 3 times. I dont keep notes, i didnt study, and i dont do any homework. I am, however, an asian.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Bombed Calculator MC ... and didn't even use my calculator on the free response cuz I kept on gettin' confused. Does anyone know on the average how many one can miss and get a 3? (I skipped like 10 total on the whole thing and feel fairly confident on all that I did complete)

By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

MC are ok, not that hard, but quite many tricky probs. I think I did well. For FR, 1~5 questions are just like ones from practice tests. But the slope field one really killed me. WTF is that?

I had a very bad teacher. :(

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

i read in a handout about the ap calc ab
that it is out of 108pts 54 for each MC and FR
MC=number right -(1.2x.25xnumber wrong)
FR-about 9 for each
75-108 is a 5 it said prolly varies by year

anyways anyone know if it is even possible to find the integral of arctanx and how u do it?

By Mstaken (Mstaken) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Oh god, isn't it that weird dx formula with the squared and the u's and square root? I couldn't do any of it.

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

deritive is 1/1+x2 but i dunno abt the integral
anyone know?

By Gebre (Gebre) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

yea its inverse tangent arctan...i had too much practice to forget that one

By Gebre (Gebre) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

can we go ahead and discuss the problems...im getting concerned after reading all of that above????????

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

from what I've heard CB does have people checking out these boards, so I HIGHLY suggest you guys edit your posts and not discuss the problems!!

By J_Link (J_Link) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

hmmm let's see
i skipped 3 and guessed on about 5 multiple choice questions; maybe 80% right?
got about 75% of the free response

i know for ap physics you can get about 70% right and still get a 5

is calculus the same? i hope so .. ..

By Zik (Zik) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

wasnt the arctan one a calculator problem?

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Yeah, that test raped me. I thought the MC was all right--I don't think I even skipped any on the calculator part--and then when it got to the FR it was like "bend over."

Does anybody know how many points it takes to get a 3? I think I got atleast 22 questions right on the MC and 15-25 points on the FR. But probably more like 27 MC + 15 FR.

By Majinjou1 (Majinjou1) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Lets be real here: That test was a killer. Time pressure is what screwed me over. That free response no calculators was the worst. How about getting caught up on the free response calculator for time and then going back to it without a calculator. Curse the test! I'll be lucky if I get a 4.

By Chen (Chen) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

It wasn't that killer. I have a feeling the test was not even one of the harder AB tests. You can answer around 50% correct and get a 3. It's not hard at all to get a 3.

By Gneugen (Gneugen) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

I guess the teachers vary from place to place afterall... Still, the questions on the AB test really didn't go into the depth that each method/subject on the test offered. Very superficial test.

By Salmon14 (Salmon14) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

My teacher told us ~30/108 is a 3 and that we should answer around 25-30 MC (and leave the rest blank).

Judging from this, it seems like she didn't really have high hopes for us, even though I thought a couple of us (not me) were capable of a 5.

I answered 33 MCs and feel that I got 50-75% of the FR.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

A 30/108? Are you serious? That seems way low, I thought it was like 47. I guess there's hope for me because I think I might've gotten 30 points in just the MC so my FR won't hurt me as bad as I thought.

By Bleakshack (Bleakshack) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

I dunno about you guys, but I thought that the Calc AB was unusually easy. Maybe its because I got used to AP-style questions prepping into the exam, or maybe it's because I already had the experience from a mock AP test as my final. Whatever it is, neither the MC nor the FR stacked up to sample and practice questions we did in class. I confidently answered every question in the whole test with the exception of one non-calculator multiple choice question that I forgot to go back to. Does anyone else feel that this test was too easy and that the curve will be high?

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

usually it is a 65 for a 5. for the past 5 years it was mainly around 65

By Sbk2k4 (Sbk2k4) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 02:45 am: Edit

The review book '5 steps to a 5' says the cutoffs are around:

5 = 75-108 pts
4 = 60-74 pts
3 = 45-59 pts
2 = 31-44 pts
1 = 0-30 pts

By Nahbia (Nahbia) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:54 am: Edit

The cutoff for the 1998 released exam was a 75. I agree with you Bleak...the test was unusually easy...even though I still screwed up the noncalc MC...it was like I knew I saw the problems a million times before and I knew they were easy...yet I still couldn't do it (blanked out)...yeah good job to me. Blech.

By Salmon14 (Salmon14) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:25 am: Edit

Sorry, I meant ~40/108.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

heh, i don't understand...i thought the multiple choice was definitely doable, especially the non-calculator part. oh but damn, we aren't allowed to discuss MC, only FRQ. so nvm....i dunno, let's hope for the best. if everyone struggled, then perhaps there will be a nice curve on the MC!

By Mstaken (Mstaken) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Do you know if people last year had this much trouble with the test? If not, maybe the curve would be much more generous, because all I'm hearing is that everyone thought the test was horrendous, (I wholeheartedly agree), but then SOME people have to pass it, right? How generous is the calculus curve?

By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Some teachers teach their class hoping that some of their students will get 3's and pass. Other teachers teach their class demanding that every student gets a 5.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Could have easily gotten a 5 if my teacher had done a better job of teaching. We barely skimmed over finding the volume of a rotated curve, and that's ALWAYS on there. We didn't do slope fields, and didn't do a lot with graphs of derivatives and integrals. That's why free response killed me. She did do a damn good job teaching us derivatives and implicit differentiation, and I've got integrals pretty much pat down (aside from graphs), so I think I did well on multiple choice. A 5 isn't impossible, but I'll be expecting a 4 to avoid disappointment.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Did anyone else think about getting caught on purpose talking about specific questions on the exam so your score would be cancelled? or was that just at my school? lol

By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure thats just your school.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

(yeah, pathetic redneck school) but i dont think i got less than a 3, even thought thats still bad to me...

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Personally, I thought the test was easy except for 3(d) where you found the position function from the velocity. Other than that, the test was cake, especially all the calculator stuff. But that's me and I like calculus and pulled a 99 in the class so *shrug*

By Welshie (Welshie) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Don't get too carried away patting your own back there, pal.

-Jesse

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page