****STATE TESTING SUCKS BALLS*****

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: ****STATE TESTING SUCKS BALLS*****
By Coqui (Coqui) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:24 am: Edit

In the midst of AP exams, SATs, SATII, FINAL EXAMS, and ACTs...there are the dreaded state tests!

Ha..yeah right...has anyone else had to take a state test??? I live in Texas and it's called the TAKS (Texas Assement of Knowlege and Skills) AKA: the most pointless test ever. THey make juniors take it and they have to pass it in order to graduate.

You'd think at the end of such a hectic year they wouldn't make you take ANOTHER test. On the history part one of the questions asked "Who was a general in the Continental Army and the 1st president of the US?" WTF!!! It wasted time for AP reviewing and it isn't even timed...you have all day to finish it, isn't that stupid?

Does anyone else have to take these???

By Johnl (Johnl) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

There's an FCAT in Florida, but it's given earlier in the school year.

By Averagemathgeek (Averagemathgeek) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Yes, state testing does suck. I had to take the FCAT math (testing mostly pre-algebra stuff) when I was in Calculus III. They (the all too powerful State of Florida) wanted me to take the FCAT science. However, I declined as I would have to miss a Physics II class. Now they are saying they I might be required to take a remedial science class. Wow!

My main grievance with state mandated testing is the lack of flexibility. The system gets bogged down in regulations in lieu of common sense. Millions of dollars are spent to give a test that has only one purpose: prevent individuals from graduating. There is no honor in doing well on the tests and the only recognition you get is a certificate. In addition, the teachers are required to spend valuable class time doing FCAT practice.

By Unluckycharms (Unluckycharms) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

I have to take the Regents Exams in New York. They're insane.

Last year I took the regents in Math A, Earth Science, and Biology. This year I have to do Math B, Chemistry, Global History, and Italian. Easy enough, but still, it's a pain in the ass that they are required.

By Infernalpanda (Infernalpanda) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Yeah, New York State Regents Exams are a pain in the a$$, but so much that you are required to take them, but that everyone else is required to take them. The amount of complaining that one hears in AP Chem after the AP (last year) about regents is unbearable. But the New York Board of Regents Scholarships make everything worthwhile. With a 99 average regents grade, I'm pretty sure I'll be one of the recipients at my school...

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

i live in Texas too. TAKS is the most pointless test ever.I've been in US for only 3 years, I'm NOT in US History and have never taken it before, and even I find the US History TAKS to be absolutely stupid. Math was just middle school stuff, and science u just had to use common sense and remember one or two things about Bio.

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

The public schools around here (Southern California) make you take high school exit exams but fortunately I got out of that deal by going to a private school.

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

we have STAR 9 testing in CA, but seniors don't have to take it. woohoo! and yeah, like Moojuice mentioned there's the CAHSEE (CA high school exit exam), but I took that freshmen year when they weren't even sure they were going to keep it and I passed because it's so incredibly easy, so I didn't have to take it sophomore year.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

yea i took the FCAT...but you could fall asleep and still pass (as my friends have). it's really stupid. we just got our scores for it. i get to go to busch gardens!! haha...yea. good luck w/ the taks. sounds alot like fcat if it's pointless. our whole school focuses on it and even makes jrs/srs participate when the only time it counts is soph yr.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

whaaa i didntk now NY regents gave out scholarships for high regents grades lol...if i knew i wouldn'tve slacked off on those :(

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

It's the HSPA in New Jersey but it's so pointless that it's stupid. You should ace them with no sweat.

By Bodayo4u (Bodayo4u) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

we take the MCT's over here in mississippi and there easy!

By Zik (Zik) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

the CAT 6 (STAR 9) or whatever they're calling it nowadays is so stupid...they gave us 10 minutes to do 4 problems in a math section x.x

and haha the CAHSEE(california high school exit exam) was funny...they gave us an essay prompt of "Which animal makes the best pet and why?" My friend and I wrote about dung beetles...and yes, we passed ;P but apparently a lot of people didnt and they're thinking of cancelling it ... lol.

nvm i shouldn't be laughing. its not nice.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

what balls does it suck the right the left or both. random curiosity

By Jangel86 (Jangel86) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

We have the MCAS in Massachusettts....you have to pass to graduate. It's really easy though.

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 11:49 am: Edit

haha, yeah, the CAHSEE was great...
"what is the square root of 81 squared?"
Huh, let's think about this for a moment.

Another good one (from the star-9s or cat-6s or whatever):
"Scientists today lack the technology to....
--random answer choices--
c. take pictures of animals living in dark caves."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page