Those darn AP grades and colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Those darn AP grades and colleges
By Purplerain (Purplerain) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Do colleges care much about our AP grades in terms of acceptances and rejections? In other words, does it play a big role in the admissions factor?

I'm afraid that getting a 3 on any AP test will be deemed as mediocre, even with a combination of 4s and 5s on the others.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Don't AP grades' effects also depend on scores of other kids at your school? for example, most kids at my school dont score well. In fact, we've never had anyone to pass the Calc exam in 20 years or so. So if i get a 3, I'd get a lot of credit for it, right?

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Skiowad,

NO.

The AP is a standardized test. You don't compare it with your school. You compare it with all the students in America who took it, just like the SAT.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

that's what someone on here said. i know i was kinda reaching. cuz our val got into duke and she had a 1 on chem. no1 takes chem exam.

By Okrogius (Okrogius) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Typically only the higher tier schools really use AP grades for admission. For most others it's purely a placement thing in a way.

Skiowad - might want to mention that on your personal statement, otherwise adcom may have no way to know.

By Cwoodierun (Cwoodierun) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Taking the question a bit further, can 4's actually hurt you in admissions to HYPS, etc??

By Joefosho315 (Joefosho315) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 02:06 am: Edit

Ok a lot of the schools don't ask for ap grades, actually none of mine did except for Tufts. This is including Columbia, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins. So don't worry too much.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

whoa, if they don't ask for it, how will they know about them?

By Jollyapplepie (Jollyapplepie) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

I think APs are mainly used for placement .... like, skipping a class, or something.

By Answerseeker (Answerseeker) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Aren't AP scores posted on high school transcripts?

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Thunder77, I'm sure some schools probably do compare your AP scores with your school if that information is in your school profile. It makes a HUGE difference what you get on AP depending on where you go to school. I moved from North Carolina to Washington my senior year and the teaching is WAY underpar in comparison to my last school. Nobody has even even gotten a 5 here on AP English; that's an entire 23 years and a total of about 500 kids getting 4 and under. Another example: We don't even have a teacher for our Economics class--which didn't start until February and meets 10 days a month--so we're all gonna fail that exam.

By Jinhamasaki (Jinhamasaki) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Also, if Admissions sees that you get straight "A's" in a class and totally bomb the exam with a 1, they are going to figure that those A's are not reflective of anything.

On the other hand, if they see you getting C's and B's, and you score a 4-5, they are able to determine that the class itself is difficult due to the teacher's curriculum.

Lesson: Just do well! It's great skipping classes to save time, money and stress :).
- Unless of course, you are shooting for Ivy, which almost makes you obligated to take APs to remain competitive.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page