AP Psychology and Barron's

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: AP Psychology and Barron's
By Minerva (Minerva) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Does the Barron's review book have everything one needs to know to get a 4/5 on the exam? I have the Myers book but I've only read like the first chapter. I'm a big procrastinator and now I have no time to read the textbook.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

go through the vocab atleast! myers book rocks. umm barron's is (i'm assuming) good. they don't always cover everything b/c case studies show up every now and then, etc. but it should be fine. i've only gone through princeton and some stuff was new but other stuff was old. good luck. i'd do some thorough studying in the next week. good luck

By Minerva (Minerva) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

You mean specific cases like say that of Phineas Gage? And yeah I know I'll have to study till my eyes fall out. I just wanted to know if a review book would have all the information needed to get a high score.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

i went through PR pretty quick. seems pretty solid; i'm going to glance through barron's today/2mrw so i'll update you on that if you remind me. oh. and for the myers book, go through the book and atleast look at the pictures. the pictures illustrates A BUNCH of studies and stuff and it's interesting. it demonstrates a bunch of concepts also and they stick out in your memory. good thing...

By Blind1595 (Blind1595) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

Be carefull guys... Our Myers book is like 3 yrs. old, and the test includes quite a bit of stuff that wasn't in the book. I had to buy a review book to do some last minute learning of what wasn't in our book. BTW, would recommend McGraw Hill, really good in content. Check your version of the Myers book. It really pissed me off, next year their buying new books for the AP Psych. Class.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

oh wow, didn't think of that. blind: what category was the new stuff mostly in? or was it the exprmnts or...what was it? i have PR and Barron's for review books, good enough?

By Ir1337 (Ir1337) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Insofar as my teacher has recommended, Barron's is perhaps the best review book...so yes.

By Minerva (Minerva) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

I'm the only one in my school taking the Psych exam so my AP coordinater got a sample textbook from the publishers for free. 7th edition. I think it's the newest. The test can't be that cutting edge, right?
Is it worth it for me to get another review book if I already have Barron's? Barron's usually doesn't have accurate tests.

By Blind1595 (Blind1595) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

A lot of my friends have Barron's Wishful.... I looked at it. Looks comprable. Princeton Review on the other hand has less to review with. It gives you a bunch of short cuts but very little in content. But in general, I think you should look at stuff such as treatments... Maybe new scanning technologies that came out or old, lol, depending on how old your school textbook is. The Myers book also doesn't go very deep into the statistics stuff. For those of you who have taken the class you're in luck, for those who haven't... Lol, you're in the same position i'm in. Everyone should atleast know standard deviation, mean, median, and mode (really basic). But there are some other specific statistical questions the collegeboard may ask. Look into that... Treatments have also changed. Everyone should atleast know the popular prescriptions, and some of the common ones that have been around for a while. Stuff like Zoloft or Prozac for treating anxiety or depression. Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, Tricycline Antidepressants, and Lithium Carbonate/Crystals as some of the more common drugs (sorry if I miss spelled any of those, off the top of my head). Myers didn't get into specifics about treatments... Atleast in my version, lol, again, it all goes back to what version you have. Mine is about 3 years old, so I can't imagine how some of the older one's are. I don't think they'll include many modern day psychologists. But what I think they'll really nail us on is the different psychological perspectives, and forms of treatment. Such as the Psychoanalytical, Biological, Cognitive, and Behavioral Perspectives, and who they involved or how they were applied. Like Bandura with the punching doll, Freud with personality, Piaget with stages of development, etc. I think we should just know basic concepts of what they did, and which area they were generally classified in. I'm pretty sure the FRQ will either ask about describing some kind of disorder, and treatment or some kind of psychological perspective. Thats what i'm concentrating on. I'm a little bit nervous, but I feel really confident. Does everyone feel their Psychology class covered everything?

(hope that helped wishful)

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

thanx a bunch blind, my book is thw 6th edition (4 yrs old) so that's not good. i haven't taken stats either. we went over treatments in class & the book talks a little about it. i god the psych perspect. from the PR book and i know all the people.

my psych teacher is basically AWESOME and the only thing i think we didn't cover is the stats stuff. =\

wish me luck. (and good luck to you all)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page