BOYCOTT THE SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: BOYCOTT THE SAT
By Anonym (Anonym) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 06:48 am: Edit

A new organization called Students Against Testing attempts to fight the tyranny of standardized exams. Through boycotts, information sessions, and appeals to congressmen, this group tries to raise awareness about the superficial and even sometimes discriminatory nature of the SAT. What do you guys think?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 07:06 am: Edit

Ahh...I think it's a bunch of people just whining because they didn't score as high as they expected. I mean, I only got a 1380 and compared to the rest of the people on this board that's mediocre. There are plenty of other options such as the ACT, and other things can make up for an average SAT.

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:26 am: Edit

I would be sooooo happy if I got a 1380!! dang.. just breaking a 1350 and I would be the happiest kid alive. hehe!

By Anonym (Anonym) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:29 am: Edit

Yeah, I think you have a valid point. The movement certainly would appeal to lazy students.

Nevertheless, I still think protest of the SAT is valid. Afterall, studies from the College Board show that people taking the SAT will, on average, score an extra 30 points for every $10,000 in their parents income.

If you can't afford a Kaplan course or don't have access to expensive practice materials, it's undeniable that you are at a disadvantage... especially when the College Board recirculates old SAT tests...

By Anonym (Anonym) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

bump

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

The SAT is only a test; it cannot be expeected to level the playing field for everyone and correct the socio-economic factors that divide the country.

It is however a fallacy that only students who have access to Kaplan, PR, et al enjoy a benefit. ANYBODY with a bit of drive and attention can do well on the SAT. You only need a coupdle of books and the 10RS, and those are widely available at most libraries.

The real issue remains that a great number of students are left without the adequate family or school support and this started many years before the SAT comes in play. The responsibility is shared by many, but you can hardly blame a testing organization for the differences.

By Dannyferizzle (Dannyferizzle) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

all up-to-date prep books are available at your local library...

By Parabolic_Line (Parabolic_Line) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

True. I got a 1500 without spending a dime on review books or courses. But there is something to be said about those who do have the money to spend on Kaplan or PR. I know a few kids in my school who are mediocre at best and got 1600s because they could afford to pay the exorbitant Kaplan fees. If you are rich enough you can do well, but if you're smart/motivated enough you can do practically as well.

By Parabolic_Line (Parabolic_Line) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

And another thing. When you apply to a college, they will see the financial situation of your family, and I'm sure that fact isn't ignored when comparing candidates.

By Eastsoldier (Eastsoldier) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

I want to ask...

How come they don't just boycott school?
(If SAT is stupid measurement for students, so is the school itself)

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

really, I don't think you NEED the expensive courses, Like PR or Kaplan to increase your SAT by 100+. I mean, c'mon, 10RS is $20 and a cheap online course like Sparknotes is $15. I increased my PSAT 1340 to a 1450 on the SAT just by doing the 10RS and the sparknotes tests.

I agree with Xggl, the personal tutoring is not required and overrated for increasing your SAT score. With $35 and some drive you can get the same results as a $800+ SAT course or personal tutor

By Confusedjunior (Confusedjunior) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

i agree that the SAT can be mastered. I was a little sick, and scored a low 1240 on my PSAT. With a couple of hours a week for a month before my SAT date, I improved my score to a 1400 using the PR book, cracking the SAT. 160 points with a little work.
P.S- out of my 5 wrong math questions (730), 4 of them were from the user-response section, where I was a little pressed for time. I ommited none.

By Skapoor1 (Skapoor1) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

I dont know if that is a valid protest, because the books i've seen give you all the knowlege you need to ace the test. The rest is just your reasoning and how many hours you are willing to put in, neither of which have anything to do with socioeconomic background. I dont think anyone should have to spend more than $50-60 to prepare for the SAT.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Let us say that boycotting the SAT is valid. Say "Students Against Testing" wins the argument with ETS. The only thing ETS could do is make the SAT easier. What would this do?

The smart people out there would most definetely score a 1600, which would reduce the value of an actual 1600. The average people would probably score like a 1300. When colleges see a WHOLE bunch of 1300 coming to them, a 1300 will probably be the average score. The WILL NOT help anyone basically.

Although this organization would seem appealing to the lazy kids who don't study. The end result would still be the same as it is now. People need to realize that it is just like a normal test that you would take in class. If you study, you will do well. If you don't you are screwed.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

life's not fair to everyone...SAT is just a part of the unfairness that you just g2 deal wit...not boycott

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page