APs/college admission?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: APs/college admission?
By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Do good AP scores really mean very much to colleges? How important are they compared with SATs?

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

they aren't reported to colleges.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

they aren't reported to colleges.

By K0w (K0w) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:24 am: Edit

i think they do. i mean, since the ap test is taken all over the US, shouldnt it be even a factor (just a little) to college admission? not sure bcause im a soph, but can someone else confirm this?

By Impymonk (Impymonk) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

Depends on where you are applying. SATs are very important to UCs, maybe less important to Ivy Leagues that give you an interview. APs help you skip certain courses once you're in college; probably also a factor in admissions (if you can perform at a college testing level, then you belong in college).

By Conker (Conker) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 03:50 am: Edit

It plays a minimal factor in admissions. It can only be a reason to keep you out. For example, if you're getting all 1's and 2's, any elite school would reject you right on the spot. However, whether you get all 5's versus 5's with some 4's and 3's isn't really going to impact your admissions at all. Your grade in the AP course matters more than your exam score. It's sad but true.

The exam score is essentially only used for placement.

By Ahmedafarooq (Ahmedafarooq) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 05:46 am: Edit

What if i get a 1 or a 2 on my AP exam, but a B average on my high school transcript? Will the college take the offer of admission back when i send my final transcipt?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

APs play a significant role in admissions. Colleges cannot require them because not all high schools offer AP courses. But AP scores are much more valuable to super-selective colleges than SAT IIs are because a large portion of the applicant pool is operating at a higher level than is tested by SAT IIs. AP scores provide a way to compare students from very different high schools who might have the same grade in a course with the same title, but very different level of instruction. If you have bad AP scores, don't volunteer them before you are admitted. But if you have good scores, they will confirm a good grade or override a weaker grade in the course.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page