Questions concerning AP Spanish!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Questions concerning AP Spanish!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Kings18 (Kings18) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

I have the REA book for AP Spanish. Please tell me how accurate those practice tests are compare with the actual AP exams.I got a 4 on the practice one. Are these exams closely mirrored to the real ones? Anyone who knows, please respond. Thanks a lot.

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Please.....anyone...No one in this board is taking or had taken the AP spanish exam before? I just like to know if these exams are easier or harder than the real thing?

By Emyh (Emyh) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

The AP Spanish is HARD. It used to be fairly ok, until the natives started scoring so high, they had the test made harder (I'm aware this just happened last year).

Pray. I am.

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

argh. why why why do people who speak spanish have to take it aaaaarrghh. they are making things impossible for those of us who actually are learning it!!!!!!!!!!
*anger*
i mean we love you all, but for gosh sake, please take something else instead!

By Impymonk (Impymonk) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Got a 5. Test is easy, but you need to explore outside vocabulary to do well on the spoken part. Translate your personal speaking style and preferred words into Spanish and you'll be a lot more confident.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Hmmm... no estoy preparado por el examen, especialmente el parte con los narativos y dialagos.

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

yo no sacaria una buena nota en el examanen manana. (my spanish is just horrid)

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

no estoy preparado por el examen....todos partes. estoy screwed.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

ojala que yo sacque un 3... pero yo pienso que no lo sacare.

that was probably so grammatically incorrect

i really haven't been studying much aside from watching spanish tv

By Coqui (Coqui) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

i know most of you are pissed at the native speakers for taking the test and supposedly making it harder...but i'm Puerto Rican so i fluently speak spanish. The only reason I'm taking it tommorrow is because it's the only language offered at my school (small school-120 students)...and it's an easy 5.

Buena suerte...Good luck...seriously...I respect those who actually try learning a new languge!

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

DUDE GOOD LUCK GUYS!! HOPE YOU ALL GET WHAT YOU WANT.. i just want a 3... is that too much to ask for?

By Conker (Conker) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

Coqui, I highly recommend that you take another foreign language, even if it means that you have to self-study it or attend a local community college. Colleges have no respect for someone who takes a class just for the easy 5. Even if you were a non-native-speaking Hispanic, they probably would find your AP score underwhelming due to your Hispanic ancestry. Discriminatory and stereotypical? Absolutely!

Anyway, the AP exam asks whether:

a) you lived or studied for one month or more in a country where the language of the exam you are not taking is spoken

b) you regularly speak or hear the language at home

They take this into account when the determine the scale. Unless there are a number of particularly sadistic Hispanics, the overwhelming presence of native speakers should not affect your score.

By Gammon (Gammon) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

They're all scored on the same scale. They just gather that information so they can differentiate the scores of the two groups. What you mark does not affect your score.

If you look at their statistics, native speakers get a lot more fives.

By Paranoidmonkey (Paranoidmonkey) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

so what'd u think??

i think it was OK, but i didn't get to finish a few things. hopefully it'll work out.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Um.

It was OK... I guess. I don't know, the Spanish 4 program was handed off to a pretty easy teacher for the last two years. The students who had her last year mostly did not pass (non native speakers).

I dunno. I sorta felt like the AP test raped me. I came in hoping for a 3, I came out hoping for a 2. I think I did OK... but that usually means I did pretty bad.

The hardest part were those long dialagos. Goodness, I kept zoning out. They are just sooo long

By Beck86nj (Beck86nj) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Sooo long. And it didn't help that the bells for everybody else to change class rang in the middle of them.

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

I just got a 1 on the AP Spanish Language exam today. I kept saying "No se" on the listening. I feel so stupid. Ah. I guess you can say it was a humbling experience. Which is, I guess, good.

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Beck86nj:

Haha something similar happened to me too! The bell kept ringing while I was recording my directed response; over half of one of my questions is probably blocked out...and, of course, it was my best one!

By Smiliekat (Smiliekat) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

yup those loud loud sophomores!!!

By Perale (Perale) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

I was able to do only 3 picture sequence (ran out of time) and messed up badly on 2 of the directed response (repeated the question basically in sloooooooooow um..... mo....um PERIOD). I think I did well on rest of the test. What does it take to get a 5 ? P.S. I am not a native speaker - not sure if that counts

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page