****AP COMP SCI on TUES...takers for this yr*****

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: ****AP COMP SCI on TUES...takers for this yr*****
By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

okay, for you takers:

i've done a few tests and found some tips that are pretty obvious but might help: (based on a bunch of qs i got wrong in Barron's)

-hierarchies:
::constructors are never inherited
::must implement undefined methods
::a client program may not access private variables of a class
::inherits INSTANCE variable and methods but not private variables

-object-orient approaches
::top-down: main tasks are done in order, then subtasks, etc.
::bottom-up: test simplest classes first

-Comparable interface
::must implement
::String class implements comparable
::must define compareTo but not equals

-Arrays
::toString is automatic as long as you do something like "myDeck[i]"

-ArrayLists
::"blah blah".get(i) returns Object
::automatically invoke toString method

-Sorting Methods
::insertion - finds the place and moves number into order
::selection - finds smallest and swaps
::mergesort and binary search methods use the "divide and conquer" ideas
::when searching, it's more efficient to just search instead of sorting and then searching.
::binary search - must be in order

-Strings
::when using substring, you get an error only when startIndex>s.length()
::substring (k,m) starts at k and ends at m-1
::substring(pos) starts at pos and goes to end

-General
::NO ASSUMING! for writing programs...
::even if you thoroughly go through a program, there still may be bugs

-you need to know POLYMORPHISM well

-Marine Biology
::1/5 chance of dying
::if env is full, there is still a chance a fish can move b/c one fish may die and open up a slot
::breed into adjacent places, can't move afterward
::neighborsOf is all VALID neighbors
::when no slots, either ends up staying or dying (can't breed or move)
::darterfish reverses direction if it can't move

any other trickers or things people usually look over? mistakes you made?

By Astrobobocop (Astrobobocop) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

you didn't mention recursion anywhere, which is where some people get hung up. My suggestion for that is to write down exactly what is happening for every time through the function. stuff below a recursive call gets put on the stack, stuff above it will be executed before recursion is done again.
Nice list

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

thanx, i guess i didn't mention it b/c i took a previous course in C and i was stuck on recursion for like 5 weeks and so...finally i got it down. very agonizing though, i sympathize with anyone who had problems

also:
-recursion
::make sure you have a terminating statement (for free response, just in case)

-general
::when they give you a program and then qs, no matter what, go through it quickly. i've made countless mistakes because i didn't go through it carefully enough.

By Godis (Godis) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

how would you go through it carefully by going through it quickly?

By Dalaboy (Dalaboy) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

k, this always slips my mind, can you only extend one class and implement many? or is it the other way around?

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

you got it right the first time. for example, a "Student" class can extend the "SchoolPerson class" and implement the "Person" interface and the Comparable interface.
(note: i made up the first three classes. but comparable is an actual interface that many classes use.)

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Godis (and everyone else...realized how weird it sounded), what i meant is go through the program quickly before you look at the question. then look at the question and carefully go back. because it's sometimes useless and time-wasting to go carefully the first time before reading the question especially when the question is a tangent, etc.

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

is Big O on the A exam? because in barron's there's about a paragraph on it that isn't marked AB, but on the practices there were no Big Os.

By Godesiree (Godesiree) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

i'm pretty sure there's no Big O on A...i just have a question about this:

say dog extends animal -

Dog d = new Animal() would be compile-time error but Animal a = new Dog() would be legal

but in terms of actual questions, what would happen differently when using Animal a = new Dog() rather than Dog d = new Dog() ?

By Oovelknoovel (Oovelknoovel) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

if dog extends animal, the class hierarchy should look something like this:
Animal
\
Dog
This implies an "is-a" relationship, meaning that a Dog "is a[n]" Animal. So when you do Dog d = new Animal(), you are going in the opposite direction (an Animal is not necessarily a Dog). Think in terms of squares and rectangles (square is a rectangle, rectangle not necessarily a square).

However, if you do Animal a = new Dog(), this is valid.

By Godesiree (Godesiree) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

i understand that but i'm asking say you have Animal a = new Dog() and Dog d = new Dog(), what would be the difference when using a & d in some multiple choice question that they could ask? basically i'm asking what is the difference when an animal or a dog references a dog object?

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

traci - nope, no big O for A-ers
godesiree - using PR, are we? basically, if Dog has some method that Animal doesn't, you couldn't use it on a. ex:
a.wagTail() wouldn't work b/c it's currently an animal. you COULD do
((Dog)a).wagTail() and since d is a Dog, you can do
both d.wagTail() and ((Dog)d).wagTail().

also, suppose a method is overriden in Dog, like speak. For example, the Animal class's method speak says "something" and the Dog class's says "bark". when
a.speak() is called, "bark" will still come up. this is called polymorphism
of course
d.speak() will also say "bark"

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

So whats the benefit to saying Animal a = new Dog();
?

By Godesiree (Godesiree) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

k thanks wishful, and yeah i don't see the benefit either haha

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

lol there is no benefit...you are just allowed to do that. sometimes, there are Animal ArrayLists (for example) and you can group the Dogs, Cats, Mice, and Kangaroos in the arraylist because they are all extending the Animal class....see what i mean?
otherwise...beats me. i don't see any. they just try to trip you up on the exam.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

there's no benefit.

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

1. can someone quickly explain when to use ==, equals(), and compareTo()

2. What does isValid() do?

Also, do we get to bring calculators on the A exam?

By Phantom (Phantom) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

1)
== tests if 2 PRIMITIVES (double, int, boolean)are equal to each other (returns true if they are). == will not work for objects--->instead, it will try to see whether the references to the objects are equal.

.equals( ) is used to test whether 2 objects are equal. It is built into the String class.

2)
isValid() checks whether a location in within the boundaries of the environment

No calculators, but the math won't be too hard.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

oh, and compareTo tests which is larger, or in the case of Strings, which comes first in the alphabet.

example:
x = 1;
y = 2;
z = 1;

x.compareTo(y); //will return -1
y.compareTo(z); //will return 1
x.compareTo(z); //will return 0

By Collegeek (Collegeek) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Can someone like pleeeasse go over the whole marine biology case study..... like a quick summary? Thanks

By Phantom (Phantom) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

I'll give it a shot, though I can't be sure I cover everything.
I'm trying to familiarize myself with the reference tables anyway right now, so I'll go through them.

The Fish Class implements the Locatable interface. The Fish class has 3 different constructors (one for 2 parameters, one for 3, and one for 4).

Important methods include:

environment() //returns the current environment

location() // returns current location (r,c)

direction() // returns current direction

isInEnv() //returns boolean checking whether the Fish is in the environment

act() // tries to breed first (1/7 chance), if it does not breed, the fish will try to move; there's also a 1/5 chance it will die

Sorry, I gotta end it here. Perhaps someone else can explain nextLocation, move, DarterFish, and SlowFish?

By Collegeek (Collegeek) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Thanks Phantom ..... that was useful info .. now i'll look up the rest

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

do you guys now the accuracy of the barron's practice tests? i have been getting low-solid 3s, is there a chance that i'll get a 4(i'm going to review the more info i don't know tonight(and i don't know a lot))?

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

do you know the accuracy of the the barron's test? i get in the low/solid 3s. could i get a 4 on the real test(im going to study the material i don't know(which is a lot))?

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

no clue. i hope it's harder than usual because i want a better score also. if i were you, i'd write down all my mistakes so i won't make the same ones again (as you can see, i have done that..)

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

barrons page 507 #8, why isn't hte answer B?

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

also, im confused...what's the difference between
Double
and
double
and
doubleValue

By Dalaboy (Dalaboy) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Double is an object, you have to convert the "double" primitive type into an object to put it in an ArrayList, the method doubleValue is part of the Double class, it gets the primitive value of the Double object so basically you can call it as
double temp = x.doubleValue();
where x is an object.

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

private STring s;
private int n;
public void changer(String x, int y)
{
x= x +"peace";
y=y*2;
}
Assume s has a value "world and n is 6. What are the values of s and n after hte call
changer(s, n)?

Why is the answer
s: world
n: 6

instead of worldpeace 12?
does it have something to do w/privates and certain time when calling?

Wishful Thinker and other intelligent APCSers:
any common rules i need to remember about the state at different times? aka at compile and run time? I'm not sure if i worded that right.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

haha intelligent?! anyway, i'm not quite sure what you mean.

as for your problem there, the reason it didn't change is because there is no return value. you see, x and y have been changed but s and n still remain the same

By Daromanian (Daromanian) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

s and n don't change, only x and y do in the method, then x and y go poof cuz the method closes so s and n are unaffected.

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

stupid question: is a string an object?

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

traci, YES string is an object. very impt to know though, not stupid question.

btw collegegeek, we get a summarized version of mbcs on the test.
here's a quickie:

:::normal fish:::
--looks to see if it can breed w/ 1/7 probability - if it does, it fills in all the empty adjacent cells.
--if it doesn't breed, it tries to move. it never moves backward. it only moves forward or sideways (random prob) as long as it is empty. otherwise it stays where it is. if it moves sideways, it changes its direction to the direction it moved sideways
--after, has 1/5 prob of dying. if it dies, slot empties

:::darter fish:::
--same thing for breeding
--for moving, darter fish only goes forward. if there are two empty spots in front of it, it moves forward two, if there's only one spot empty in front of it (the second is taken), it moves forward one space. otherwise, it stays in place but reverses its direction
--same thing for dying

:::slow fish:::
--same thing for breeding
--for moving, exact same as normal fish except the probability of moving is 1/5
--same thing for dying

...as far as the classes, etc. go...i wouldn't worry too much. if you time management is good, you should have enough time to reference to the thing they give us.

By Zik (Zik) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

If x was not a string, however, it would be changed. (Strings and primitives are immutable)....For example, if you had sent a Stack to the changer function and had the statement push(new Integer(3)), the change WOULD occur.

By Collegeek (Collegeek) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

thanks wishful thinker ...... and traci ... the problem 8 one is right ... its C if u work it out correctly

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

np, good luck everyone...i'm hitting the sack (probably won't sleep until 1am anyway but it's worth a try)

By Collegeek (Collegeek) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Does anybody know if colleges see AP scores if you do not send them to any colleges when u take a test? Like don't they know only if you wish to send it to them? Thanks

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

thanks everyone! last question though: what do you think the prospective free responses are? ArrayLists?
My last questions:
1. what is encapsulation?
2. what is sequential control?
3. is iteration just going straight through?(please explain)
4. What are transversals?
5. on collegeboard, they ention you need to know stuff about peripherals, networks, system reliabilty, etc. do you think i'll need to know that stuff, cuz i don't :0.

Thanks again!

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

im still a little confused. i know, i know that compareTo returns -1,0, or 1. But, is there a time when you can't use compareTo instead of equals.?

By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

good luck everyone taking the test tomorrow. I hope i'm going to do good. SHOOTING FOR A 5 or a 4.
GOOD LUCK!!

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

But in Traci's question up above, isn't x a reference to s? So when s changes, shouldn't x change as well?

Thanks

By Zik (Zik) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

you can only use compareTo when the class implements the Comparable interface

mr_sanguine: no, strings and primitives are immutable, they can't be changed in functions. if they were any other objects then yes, it would be changed.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:20 am: Edit

traci, yes, you can use compareTo instead of the equals sometimes because when you compare two numbers/strings, if they are the same, it will output zero and so you know that it is the same.

goodluck all

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:25 am: Edit

thanks i can't believe you wake up this early to wishful thinker! last minute cramming for me!

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:33 am: Edit

1. what is encapsulation?
2. what is sequential control?
3. is iteration just going straight through?(please explain)
4. What are transversals?
5. on collegeboard, they ention you need to know stuff about peripherals, networks, system reliabilty, etc. do you think i'll need to know that stuff, cuz i don't :0.

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:51 am: Edit

neighborsOf returns empty adajacent too?

By Freak (Freak) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

um... was it just me... or was there like... absolutely no "A" answers on the compsci A test. i got 1 A out of 40 questions...

By Godis (Godis) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

i got NO As whatsoever. but i didn't answer about 5.

I messed the part 2 up like a mofo.

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

what did every1 else think of the A exam? I didn't think it was that bad... shooting for a 4... hopefully got the 4... may have gotten 3 or 5... i really don't know.. it depends on how the free response is graded.

In general, I thought the multiple choice was easy to medium.. and the free response weren't bad at all.. pretty straight-forward

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

What did you all think of the AB exam?

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

I answered 37 questions, and only got 3 A's (I took Comp Sci A). I thought that the multiple choice was easy, but the last two free response questions were pretty hard. Hopefully I got a 4.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

i didn't count my letters...didn't even look about it. i had trouble on a few MCs. never saw some of those qs before.

the free responses scared me b/c i was used to so much harder qs. i didn't even use the majority of the paper they gave me. i finished with about 1/2 hr left. you guys? the last 2 qs took alot more time but they weren't hard.

i really wanted a 5 but with the amt of mistakes i prob made on the MC, i prob won't get it. i have a 4 no matter what though...can't mess up THAT bad...

mind you i studied for 3 weeks.....

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Multiple Choice: answered 40, there were 2 A's.

Free Response: hella easy, everyone in my class finished with 20+ minutes to spare...the only hard question was the kennel problem

By Godis (Godis) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

i wish i were in your class. you see, my teacher didn't actually do anything except making your own classes.

so yesterday i had to teach myself arrays, arraylists, all that inheritance junk, recursion, etc.

yeah, it was brutal.

By Eecs (Eecs) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

hey does anybody know what percent of the MC score i need to get a 5 if i got, say 90% of the free response?

By Okrogius (Okrogius) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Eeecs:

For AB - about 55%
For A - about 60%

(assuming you get a 90% on the free responce)

By 08beaver (08beaver) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

A few questions: For the kennell one, how did you get the louddog to speak twice? I thought of just having a system.out.println statement but instead I called super twice. Is that riight?

By Beero1000 (Beero1000) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

the test is graded out of 80
40 mc
40 free response
u need a 60 for a 5
45 for 4

By Tjhigh (Tjhigh) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

I took AB.
MC was sorta hard. I answered all but it was definitely ezier than the barrons mocks and be prepared mocks.

I screwed up FR. The last 3 subquestions were hard. I think i got a 4.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Beero--where did you get that info? is it official?

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I took A. If I got 60% of MC right... what would I need percentage-wise on FR to get a 3? 4? 5?

Thanks in advance!

By Okrogius (Okrogius) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Smart:

for a 5 you'd need about a 75%

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

thanks man... sorry to be annoying, but what about for a 3 or 4? thanks again!

By Beero1000 (Beero1000) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

its in the princeton review book and it makes sense 60/80 = 75%

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

What did others who took the AB think of the multiple choice (without getting into the questions)? I thought it was harder than I expected. It was a lot easier than prep books's MC section, but harder than the MC for C++ a few years ago.

Also, for the free response, did anyone have slightly longer solutions than normal (e.g. a few more than 4-5 lines)? I thought it was pretty easy overall.

By Penguinzchaseme (Penguinzchaseme) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Oh sorry that's my bad, I totally forgot - thanks!

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

I don't think you are supposed to talk about the multiple choice (I would edit the post).

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

rounding was like chapter one stuff

double y = (some double)
int roundedY = (int) (y + 0.5) for positve y values
int roundedY = (int) (y - 0.5) for negative y values

also, (im trying to be as vague as possible) did anyone find that they had to use the method instanceOf() in one of their methods to make it work (free response)

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Beero, was that in response to my question?

" I took A. If I got 60% of MC right... what would I need percentage-wise on FR to get a 3? 4? 5? Thanks in advance! "

does any1 know specifically for each... like in terms of percent, how much FR needed for 3.... for 4.. (5 was already answered.... 75% i believe )

By Beero1000 (Beero1000) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

yes but i dont think you need a certain percentage of each section just a raw score thats high enough 60/80 according to pr

the mc depend on how many you answered b/c its
correct - .25 wrong = score (out of 40)
so if you answered all of them it would be a lot less

if you had 60% (including the guessing penalty) thats .6 * 40 = 24
you need a 60 so ull need at least a 36 out of 40 on the free response for a 5 or 21 for a 4

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

::general question::
can you call super twice? like

super ();
super();

?

By Penguinzchaseme (Penguinzchaseme) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

I think you can, but I'm not sure. I took the AP A test. Another Question:

- How are strings compared in compareTo(), It's by letter right- alphabetically?

-Can we talk about free response now?

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

i dunno, the test was yesterday, i'm dying to but i think we have to wait until like 2mrw afternoon...

By Okrogius (Okrogius) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Pen:

-Yes, alphabetically. Note that Z comes before a (since it's upper case).

By Fea (Fea) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

I don't think you can call the super-constructor twice.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

no u can't, because that just returns immediately and terminates the method, you have to do something like:

String Adfjasdkfj = super.speak();
System.out.println(akjdfhdasf + ajkdfhjkahd);

u know, stuff like that..

oh and definitely NOT for a constructor, because super() can ONLY be used on the first line...

By Guyute (Guyute) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

A was easy man. all my free response answers were 5 lines of code except for that move() method

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

I thought the AB was hard, especially the last FR problem.

Did anyone else think AB was hard?

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

I think some of the multiple choice was pretty difficult. The free response answers also were pretty long.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

The AB Free response questions are up. Does anyone want to go into a chat room and discuss (or we can discuss here)?

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

well thank god. i didn't call super twice because i remembered the rule that you could only do that in the first line. so i did exactly what firebird said. i was just praying that the graders wouldn't be like "wtf was she thinking? all you had to do was call super twice"... are the FR posted on collegeboard or what...?

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

well, EVEN IF we're wrong and u actually CAN call super() twice, the way we did it still works, and as long as our solutions are correct, we still get full credit (i think)

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

*crosses fingers*
because i did mine EXACTLY like you wrote yours out. except i might have returned the string twice instead of printing it.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

anyone up for a chat abt Comp Sci A qs (FR of course)

By 08beaver (08beaver) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

I took A.

I don't remember the exact question, but I think it was part C of quesiton 4. (The last question on the exam). I remember thinking it could be kind of difficult, but then I just used some method that they gave but didn't define. (said implementation not shown.) Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I think I ended up doing it in like 3 lines, which isn't good since it was a part C problem.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

beaver: the qs are up on collegeboard.com.

...yea i'm looking at these questions and don't really recall anything. that would be bad, wouldn't it?

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

No one wants to discuss AB free response?

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

I do.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Go to chat room compsci.

By Penguinzchaseme (Penguinzchaseme) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Ya on Q4 part C on "A" test, I just referred to my move() method then returned number of moves

By Penguinzchaseme (Penguinzchaseme) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

And what do you mean super returns immediatly and terminates

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

ok, beaver- ur exactly right on question 4C, the answer (i think we can discuss now, since questions are posted on CB) was really easy (i dont remember the exact method names, but u'll know what i mean):

public int clearhall()
{
int moves = 0;
while (!hallIsClear)
{
move();
moves++;
}
return moves;
}

and that, my friend, is all that was needed...the easy-ness scared me too...

By Penguinzchaseme (Penguinzchaseme) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 08:32 am: Edit

holy crap, word for word man

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

heh, cool, yea, that's was the shortest solution possible, i believe.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page