Don't Know How To Start

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Don't Know How To Start
By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 07:03 am: Edit

OK, so I know I should've begun a long time ago.....but I have four APs (Spanish Lang, US, World, and Comp. Gov't) and I haven't really begun studying at all.

In fact I was supposed to be self-studying World History and I stilll have 150 pages left in Barron's.

Tues = Spanish, Wed = World, Friday = US

At least I know I'll do well in Comp Gov because I have till next wednesday for that.

The problem is that I feel so overwhelmed (and I've never even taken an AP before) that I dont' know where to start. After SATIIs yesterday....all I've done is obsess over those tests lol, and post on this board.

I'm procrastinating SO much and I'm really mad at myself.

Anyone who's good at handling this stuff have any tips for working out a workable, well-rounded study schedule for this week's APs?

I think the reason I've been procrastinating is because whenever I start studying one subject I worry that maybe I should be spending my time on a different one and then I get all stressed and can't study at all.

Your help is much appreciated!

By Jszab (Jszab) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 07:32 am: Edit

Make very exact plan.

One hour of history, and nothing else during this our.

By Francesca (Francesca) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:38 am: Edit

Jsazb is right. A very strict plan is probably what you need.

US History 1 hour pages X X (include page references or reference to a specific section so that you dont waste time deciding what to study)
Even schedule breaks for example,
Break 10 mins jog/ eat something/ try not to choose something that you may get addicted to (like comp games, watching TV etc)

Place your schedule where you will see it. Therefore, when you start worrying that you should be doing more Spanish or whatever, you can look at your plan and say I dont have to worry about Spanish because I will do it in an hour. As long as you stick to your plan you will be fine.
When deciding what to study, focus on areas you are weak at. There is no point studying things you already know! It may sound obvious but sometimes it is really tempting to study things you more or less know rather than tackle the hard stuff.
I know how overwhelming studying can be when you dont have much time, and there is so much to learn but I find making a plan usually helps calm me down and focus.
Good luck!
Fran xxx

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

Thanks guys!

I'm gonna go write out a schedule right now, then its US history from 10-11AM.

Yell at me if i post up at this board again lol (its quite addictive actuallY)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page