SAT I Tip: It's all about practicing...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: SAT I Tip: It's all about practicing...
By Usc200888 (Usc200888) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:59 am: Edit

Like I said, the SAT I is all about practice...there is nothing more to it. If you are not ignorant and mediocerly competant, you can easily score a 1300 or above. The SATs were intentionally made to trap intelligent students into making stupid mistakes. SAT prepbooks are a stepping stone into overcoming these traps. Available at most bookstores, they take you by the hand and lead you through these technique traps and provide comprehensive loopholes in avoiding them. Don't be like me and wait till the last minute to prep for the SATs. I achieved my SAT "goal score" with last minute prep, but unfortunetly, not everyone is as lucky as I am. SAT classes are great also, but not everyone can afford it. Basically classes outline the same information provided in SAT prepbooks, the only difference is that they make sure you learn the material in a given time period and know it well.

If you are currently struggling and not achieving your "goal score," do something about it. Stop trying to convince yourself that SATs doesn't matter. Although it is quite disheartening, the SATs matter a great deal and play a large role in getting into your top choice university.

I am a living example of SAT success. I improved by over 100+ points. From a 1190 to 1290 to a 1340, and a 1370 with highest verbal and math combined. My score isn't stellar, but above average and it got me in where I wanted to go: USC Marshall School of Business.

Best of luck to the class of 2009. Hopefully this post provides you with some insight. And also keep up the GPA and take rigorous courses!

By Y17k (Y17k) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:12 am: Edit

i'd like to thank you very much for pointing out the obvious.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:34 am: Edit

Captain Obvious, to the RESCUUUUUUUUUUUE!

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

No S H I T, sherlock.

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

man you guys are mean = / he/she was only trying to help.. good job Usc200888 (Usc200888).. we need more ppl like you on this board.. tired of greedy little tardos just asking for questions/answers on previous tests..

By Amitoman (Amitoman) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:04 am: Edit

ok.. maybe what he said was obvious

in that case, people should stop asking redundant questions: "how should i improve my score???"

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

yea seriously SO many ppl ask redundant and obvious questions, many times b/c they're too lazy to read through other posts/research it on their own first.

and judging from the posts on the SAT on this board you'd think that nobody knew that the only way to improve your SAT score is to practice...

By Usc200888 (Usc200888) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

It is obvious, but the sad thing is many people tend to overlook it. I certainly did. I always thought SAT prepbooks were flukes, simply a waste of my time.

Like amitoman said, too many people ask the question, "How do I improve my score," on this board. People think there is some secret formula to the SATs, but there isn't, it just takes practice.

Studing vocabulary index cards, reading the newspaper, doing active reading, are all little things that can help you out in the verbal section.

Math is a process, and is slightly harder to prep for. If you have difficulty start studying with a teacher or friend.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page