ALL YOU SAT:II CHEM WIZARDS COME HERE

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: ALL YOU SAT:II CHEM WIZARDS COME HERE
By Mahras (Mahras) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

airight guys,

I took the Barron's diagnostic test. Scored a in the range of 640-620. I really want to break 720+. I have yet to take organic chem. and most probab;y gonna be doing that for 2 weeks. Any websites, suggestions, advice etc....ANYTHING....will be helpful.

Thanks a lot

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:04 am: Edit

get a Princeton Review SATII book and read it the night before. Its what i did.. i did alright.. 730.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:30 am: Edit

PR sucks. Barrons all the way. Read through barrons multiple times. Make sure you understand AS MUCH as you can. I used barrons and got a 730...without it, I am estimating that I would have gotten maybe 60-70 points less

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:50 am: Edit

I think you're already at the level of 720+. The Barrons is very difficult compared to the real thing, plus once you do organic Chem, you'll be fine.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Is the Barron's really that tough. The curve on the Barron's test seemed to be pretty lenient. I have one problem though. In the NEw York State tests all test takers are given a reference table with fomulas of acids, bases, ionization strength. But in the SAT II all they give is the periodic table. Should I memorize the formulas of acids and bases etc? I really don't want to screw this up as chem. is one of my best subjects. Thanks.

By Edward (Edward) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I did more or less what Irock1ce suggested, read the Princeton Review book before the test (although I did start much earlier). I didn't know any organic chemistry, nor did the PR book have anything on it (it's a few years old), but I got a 750. I think you'll make it over 720. Good luck.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Thanks. More advice plz.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

I scored 650 on my first practice test (PR), and ended up getting a 730 on the real thing after taking a few more practice tests.

Do not worry about the organic chemistry questions! They are give aways. Once you learn a little organic chem, those will be a breeze. Look through the sections and learn stuff you don't already know.

Good Luck!

By Mahras (Mahras) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

BUMP. Advice my fellow brothers.

By Joshjmgs (Joshjmgs) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Im in AP Chem this year, and i have the Kaplan SAT II chem for summer homework (I kept it after doing all of the unnecassary homework). I havent started studying, I took the diagnostic test and i got a 740 XD.
After reading through it, i think it is concise, but it COULD explain things better. I mean there are 3 practice tests, which I am sure are similiar to the real thing.. I mean Kaplan does have to keep its reputation doesnt it?

And also, after reading Kaplans 1600 SAT book, I think their problem persists, I mean they dont give enough examples and elaborate enough, they do a satisfactory job, but barrons MIGHT be better. I just dont like the way its written (the AP book). My teacher thinks Kaplan is the best book though, and I think I must concur after trying to read through Barron's languid writing style and typoes in the book.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

Bump guys....i am gonna start organic chem tomorrow. More advice is appreciated especially from the guys that took the test on May.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

I saw ZERO organic chem stuff on the test.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

bump more comments anything....also guys how early do you get your scores for the SAT II chem test?

By Aab123 (Aab123) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

May 14th

By Mahras (Mahras) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

no I mean the one that I'll take in June the 5th

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Yes, learn the formulas for acids and bases and common ions. Sometimes they expect you to know what the charge is on, say, phosphate, and if you don't know it, the question's over. For me, I've found that I'm reasonably well-versed in Chem by now, and that's the most important aspect of understanding the material. Once you are familiar with the reactions, ions, solutions, elements, everything kinda falls into place. So, read up on your general Chem knowledge, buster.

By Blee731 (Blee731) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

On both the SAT II and the AP Chem tests, organic chemistry is not stressed, so don't worry about it. Just know your basic prefixes for alkanes and different types such as ketones, aldehydes, etc.

By Mjs4n6 (Mjs4n6) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Hey you Guys. I would not stress to much about the test. I took it may 1st and if you have takeen AP chem you are definitely prepared for this test! If you have not taken AP chem then I do suggest Barron's SAT II Chem book but otherwise. . . be cool about it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page