Writing Test Prep Material

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Writing Test Prep Material
By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Simple question: what is a good brand of test prep book for the Writing SAT 2? I know that Barrons is notorious for unrealistic practice tests (as is evidenced by my own experience), though they are usually tougher than the real thing, so it can help you prepare better. I am looking for the most realistic book to learn from. Advice from anyone with experience in using test prep material for the Writing and then taking the test would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

I used Arco, and I didn't think that it was very good. Why I chose Arco, I do not know. Probably for some variety.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

I have the PR book and while I haven't taken the SAT II Writing test yet, the tests are really good.

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Qwert271, why is Barrons unrealistic? I used it and took the Writing test today.. and I thought it was fine... any1 wanna elaborate on this?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

I didnt use the Barrons Writing prep book. I used the Barrons Chem and Math books and found that they were unrealistic. So much so that I would have completely altered my methods of study. The real tests were easier, and they did not focus at all on some of the things the prep books stressed.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

The Barron's writing is actually okay and only slightly harder than the real test (an appropriate amount). For the most part, though, Barron's tests are completely unrealistic. For example, I missed close to half of the US History questions in the Barron's review book. I took the test today and missed probably around ten questions, give or take a few (certainly not around 35-40!).

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Barons is unrealistic so is REA, frankly there are no really good practice SAT2 writing books. My friends Aunt tutors for the SAT2 writing and she uses Barrons and REA but skips a bunch of questions just because they are so vague and what not. If you have taken a practice test you'd know. One problem they'll deck you for a vague pronoun and in another they'll have a vague pronoun and say the sentence is correct.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

today's SAT2 writing was, in my opinion, harder than all of the Barron practice tests...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page