AP European Failure

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: AP European Failure
By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Without studying, I'm getting like a 20 out of 80 on REA practice tests. is it even POSSIBLE to improve this to 4-5 range by friday?

By Greenleaf144 (Greenleaf144) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

well, if you study about 8 hours each day, maybe. But i'm sorry to say, you probably should be aiming for a 3. It's just too difficult to memorize 400 years worth information in a week's time.

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

How many right in the Multiple Choice should I aim for if I want a five. A four? Assume an average essay and DBQ.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

thanks for being honest. i'll try to prove you wrong, though!

By Feuler (Feuler) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Supposing that you answer every question (which you probably should not be due to the guessing penalty), you will need about 28 right for a 3, 40 right for a 4, and 53 right for a 5, assuming 6s on the essays.

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

You're kidding, right! if that's correct, wow, i am now stress relieved! Are you sure you only have to make 53/80 and 6's on the essays? I hope so!

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

REA's tests are harder than the real thing, I think. Also, I hope that 20/80 is raw score, because if you guessed on the other 60 questions, your raw score just went down to a 5 :x.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

yeah- i only answered the ones i knew for sure.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

update: after a few hours of studying, i just took a practice test w/a score of 36.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

I got a 24/80 on my first practice REA test. (Didn't read the textbook the entire school year.) I read most of the REA summary and ended up getting 50/80 the second time, and then I reviewed an outline of European History and got a 60/80 on a real exam I took at school which I got an overall score of 5 on. That's like a 3 point improvement in 10 days! So, if you try, yes I think you can get a 4 atleast.

By Mj23 (Mj23) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

I got a 52/80 on the Barrons practice test. Is this a good score? How much do u think i need to improve by Friday?

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

My advice for Euro (and most other APs):

I hated Euro with a passion and thought it was horribly boring. I did mediocore and got B+ in that course.
I got a 4 on the AP exam as did many kids who you don't think of as smart.
These "studious kids" got 3s and a some 2s because they were nervous and over-studied. I did Cliffs AP and had a general understanding of all the trends (forgot all of it now LOL) and made educated guesses on most of the questions. The MC was very hard and detailed. It is all about educated guesses. Look at the question and eliminate any answers that don't have to do with the time period and guess from the rest. They say boys do better on the SAT b/c they guess more, and I dare say the same is true on the AP b/c all these "slacker" male studnets ended up with 4s while this one girl got a 2 b/c she had so much information in her head she couldn't answer the question clearly.
As for the DBQ, use all the documents and always look at the source. Try to comment on the source of the documents. For example, I noticed that one of the documents last year relating to WWI and Germany was written by a British guy and might have been biased because they were enemies during the war. The readers read the same DBQs over and over so try to put something in it that makes it stand out. Either by saying something daring but very intelligent or by putting in a lesser-known but related fact you can think of.
For the free response, make your answer as pithy as possible. Don't restate the question and state the obvious. Every sentence should by factually oriented. Read all three questions and think to yourself which one did we cover the most in-depth in class. Which time period did I have the greatest understanding of? The few momments spent to thoughtfully pick which essay you are most able to answer will be well worth it. Too many kids jump into an essay because they see a key word or country they like without thinking which one they know the most "stuff" about. And halfway through the essay, when you realize you don't know as much as you thought, you will not have time to go back and change the question you wish to answer.
And chill out. The APs don't get reported to colleges. And if you are aiming for a 5, the college you go to will probably be very selective and will probably not even reward you that much for a 5.

By Greenleaf144 (Greenleaf144) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

actually, i think i was being too harsh in my response above. One of my friends, who never did any of the homework and only studied the day before the exam, got a 4. I guess if you listened in class and don't freak out about it, you could do well. sulskman was right when he said that the kids who overstudy tend to do badly. good luck!

p.s. prepare for a soviet union cold war essay question. I was told that they have one on the test nearly every year.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

sulskman- thanks for the detailed advice, especially about answering/guessing on the multiple choice.
greenleaf- i truly do appreciate you giving the most honest answer you can.

i definitely consider myself to be the type of person that does NOT freak out about standardized tests, so we'll see how it goes. place your bets, but i'm still going for a five. shoot high, right?

By K0w (K0w) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

just calm down. i dunno y half my class freakin out about this. our teacher proved this by giving us a practice test today (extra study session,) nd the ppl who didnt even study like me (maybe around a hour) got around the 60's while the smart ppl who freaked out scored around the 40's (both raw, i feel so happy :)). this just proves that panicking just kills u in the end. calm down, take a deep breath, nd take the plunge on friday.

By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

thanks greenleaf for ur input!

By M2me4 (M2me4) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Right now, I'm really worried about the essays. I usually do well in class, but I'm feel like I do not and will not have enough info in my head to write an entire essay. I seriously think I will blank out. :( Argh... What should I do and how should I study in these last few days?

By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

life's tough...esp euro

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

just took the 1999 ap multiple choice- got a 52/80. booyah.

By Fuzzymittens (Fuzzymittens) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

I just took that 1999 one too. 65/80 raw score.

By Ml41588 (Ml41588) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

i have the actual 99 exam, but where do i get the answers for it. dumb question lol, but i need those answers!

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

fuzzymittens: congrats!

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

can someone tell me a good place to see sample essay questions and good answers?

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Fuzzymittens, I got a 65 raw score too!

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

last day- good luck guys!

By Fuzzymittens (Fuzzymittens) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

Haha. Don't you hate those REA tests though?
So many questions are utter crap which would never be on the AP. I can only get like 55 on those.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page