OFFICIAL UNITED STATES HISTORY SAT II DISCUSSION

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: OFFICIAL UNITED STATES HISTORY SAT II DISCUSSION
By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

After 12, post your questions and answers on this thread.

By Amitoman (Amitoman) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

12 tomorrow.. not today.

read the moderators thread again

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

oo- good noticing that...its usually 12 the day of the test though- i wonder why he changed it

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

moderator just posted in another thread that we can post 12 TODAY, warning was a mistake----so 12 today, start posting!

By Sabinscabin (Sabinscabin) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

never mind I will post this at 12

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

For the purpose of organization, when you start posting, please place a Q before any questions about the test and an A next to any answers you know.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Ok, here we go. First, IÕll post answers to the questions that I was unsure of, but researched when I got home, So ÒAÓ:
1. Hudson River School- group of 19th (or 18th?) century artists
2. Jimmy Carter- foreign policy---HUMAN RIGHTS
3. With the answer for who doesnÕt match with their organization- Marcus Garvey was the answer
4. Quotation : NW Ordinance
5. 2nd question under quotation- first state to enter union under NW Ordinance: Ohio is the answer
6. Free silver, agitation over railroad monopolies took place in: 1890s
7. WomenÕs rights: Abigail Adams
8. 1913-Armory- Modern Art Exposition: Answer is Cubism (I was very surprised by this answer, but when I researched it, that was the correct answer)
9. Talented Tenth: WEB Dubois

Okay, now MY questions: Q:
1.what was the answer to the Ayatollah question?: I put down the passenger airplane choice but I think thatÕs wrong
2. What was the answer to the Lydon Johnson Q? i remember suez crisis of 1956 was a choice, but idr the other choices
3. What was the answer to the question that said something like ÒAll could be attributed to cities of the late 19th century EXCEPT:Ó----I couldnÕt decide between more federal govt spending on cities and higher prices for something...i put the higher prices answer but im not sure
4. The Cartoon Question- There was the cartoon of all of the women sitting down and working...choices were: gender equality, beginning of labor movement, something else
5. ÓAll of the following happened during Reconstruction in the south exceptÓ (q sounded something like that)..I put that women vote, is that right?
6.okay- the question where you had to pick the court case or event that displayed anti-foreignism and anti- something else- what was it?- I think I put schenk, but im not sure
7. Finally, I remember a question about the Knights of Labor, but forgot the answer choices, does anyone remember the answer?
8. ÒEconomy of the 1970s characterized by:Ó two choices i remember are Òhigh unemployment and a dramatic rise in GNPÓ and Òsomething and slow inflationÓ...anyone know the answer?
9. Was one of the answers Mao Zedong over Chang-Kai-Shek? (yes, I realize I totally butchered the spelling)

By Frenchfries (Frenchfries) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

I came in feeling pretty prepared, but I thought the test was really hard. What I remember:

Q: After 1929, all except what happened? Choices: people lost faith in stock market, something about consumer price index, something about overproduction or underproduction, something about capital investment

Q: Some 1913 Art Exhibit
A: I guessed cubism?

Q: Hudson River School
A: School of painting

Q: Soviet Union's strongest advantage. Choices: missiles,lend-lease aid, army, ???

Q: Why Andrew Johnson impeached
A: Refused to enforce roconstruction acts?

Q: Battle of New Orleans
A: I know I put E, which was something about creating enthusiam about our victory

Q: spanihs interacted most with
A: Hopi and Zuni

Q: Johnson's great society included programs
A: The answer I put had the word poverty in it, which was theo nly reaso0n I picked it

Q: 1970s
A: Either A or E... inflation and increased gross national product or something about unemployment

A: Marcus Garvey did not found the Student Organization (don't remember exact name)

Q: Qhere did most immigrants come from in the late 19th century?
A: For some reason, I put Italy and Hungary. I think that's wrong

Q: Mennonites, Roman Catholics, Moravian, etc, etc
A: German

Q: Where did most immigrants come from in 1840s-ish
A: Ireland

Q: The chart about women in the workplace
A: Women in the 1980s worked at greater proportions than ever before

Q: Something about which one did not help women
A: I put the equal rights ammendment, because it never got passed

And I'll keep trying to think of more! I won't besatisfied until I think of all 90. I'm so nervous about my score.

By Daromanian (Daromanian) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

court case against foreigners was sacco and venzetti i think. 8) high inflation, slow growth. 4) factory system?

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

ok---ill answer what i know
Q: Why Andrew Johnson impeached
A: Refused to enforce roconstruction acts---YES-that is correct

Q: Soviet Union's strongest advantage
A: I put advanced technology ,, but im not sure

A;equal rights amendment is right

By Daromanian (Daromanian) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

soviets advantage is their nukes isnt it? their technology wasnt that advanced compared to the us's was it?

By Frenchfries (Frenchfries) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

I agree with all of your answers Netmet.

Q: Something about Eisenhower
A: Suez Canal Crisis

Q: 1920s books
A: Main Street? I just looked it up and it was set in the 1920s, but I'm still not sure. Other choices were The Grapes of Wrath (no) and The Jungle (no)

Q: Anti-immigrant court case
A: Sacco Venzetti

Q: Cartoon of women working
A: factory system or something similar?

Q: All happened in Reconstruction except
A: I put women voting too

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

i want to have other ppl's feedback about the test - i thought it was really hard and I'm in AP and am doing pretty well.

What was the answer to the question about who worked at the mill (name of mill started with an L?).

Oh also, I really want to know #s 1 and 2 above.

I'm really nervous about my score now too :(

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

so you put missiles?...im not sure of that question

Q: After 1929, all except what happened?--i put raise in consumer index, by process of elimination- but im not 100 percent sure

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

oh and the other book choice besides "main street" "the jungle" and "grapes of wrath" was "the age of innocence" if anyone knows who that was. I chose main street as well,

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

Q. who worked at the mill?
A: young women from farms

By Sabinscabin (Sabinscabin) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

unlike the articles of confederation, the constitution allowed the national government to:

a) levy taxes
b) wrong
c) wrong
d) issue currency
e) wrong

well i looked it up and i think
both a and d are right
if by currency that includes coins
so which one was it?

By Daromanian (Daromanian) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

it was levy taxes
that was the main failure of the articles that the constitution remedied.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

Q: unlike the articles of confederation, the constitution allowed the national government to:

A: Yes, levy taxes is correct.

By Frenchfries (Frenchfries) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Q: Confederacy hoped to get aid from
A: Great Britain

Q: Ad for some cure-all tonic
A: Exaggerated advertising

Q: Ad for runaway slaves
A: Slaves kept their African cutural roots (because the ad said soemthing about how the slaves called themselve African names)

Q: Quotation about republic form of government
A: Madison

Q: Quotation about civilian authority
A: MacArthur

Q: Quote about it being a Cold War, and rooting out evil in the gov't
A: McCarthy

Q: Knights of Labor. Soem choices were that membership was open to all, industry was expanding, and strikes were successful, but I do not know the correct answer

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Q: great society?
A: end to poverty
does anyone remember the other choices to this question?

By Daromanian (Daromanian) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

yes thats right netmet

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

okay-question that still need to be answered:
Q: Ayatollah
-19th Century cities
-Knights of Labors
-Econ in 70s

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

and USSR's strongest advantage...?

By Upandcomer22 (Upandcomer22) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

The last question:

Quote...what does the quote say about Teddy Roosevelt's foreign policy in Latin American?

1. repudiation of Monroe Doctrine
2. something about invading Mexico
3. Caribbean affairs (I think this is right)

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Ayatollah Q isn't the shooting down of the passenger plane. I just looked that up. =(

Q: "...city on a hill..."
A: John Winthrop

Q: Teddy Roosevelt quote
A: Carribean affairs

By Phantom (Phantom) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Q: Knights of Labor
A: I think it was that they did not allow open membership (only skilled workers can join, right?)

Q: economy in 70's
A: high inflation, slow economic growth

Q: USSR advantage?
A: the choices were horrible, but I said advanced technology (really not sure, though).

Q: ???
A: real estate cost in cities spiraled upwards (really not sure)

Q: within first 3 years of stock market crash, what happened?
A: consumer index increased (really unsure)

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

oh and there were two questions based on a list of 5 court cases......one was:

Q: Anti-immigrant court case
A: Sacco Venzetti

what was the other? (cant even remember the Q)

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Knights of Labor allowed everyone, skilled and unskilled, to join. That's one of the reasons they collapsed, they had too many groups and interests under one roof.

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

USSR Question - Think SPUTNIK. Advanced technology = correct. That's why we beefed up education, created NASA, etc.

Economy in 70's - Stagflation. Inflation, but slow growth

1920s Books - I put Age of Innocence, but it was more of a guess. I had it b/t Main Street and that.

Knights of Labor - Were NOT exclusive. That was AFL. I don't remember the question, but if someone can give it I'll post the answer.

For immigrants in 1880's-90's I put Italy and Hungary as well. It HAD to be Italy. Think Jacob Riis, Sacco-Vanzetti, etc. And the only other choice with Italy involved France, which wouldn't be correct.

For the Stock Market question (which was an except question) I put consumer price index increased. Wasn't sure though.

Yes, Hudson River School = School of Painting.

Finally, Marcus Garvey was the right answer. He was linked with blank nationalism. On the test it said SNCC which was led by Stokely Carmichael I believe.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

oops, I got them mixed up with AFL, dammit

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Just checked, Jenz is right. :( 8 wrong already....

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Don't worry, there's a decent curve for US History. In Real SAT IIs, you could leave ~10 blank and get 800. I thought this test was harder than the one in Real SAT IIs, so maybe the curve will be bigger?

By J_Link (J_Link) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Q: Knights of labor- all reasons that it grew EXCEPT
A: government legislation favorable to labor?

Q: the woman quote
A: Abigail Adams

Q: Stimson Doctrine occurred because?
A: Japanese invasion of Manchuria

what about the "supply-side" economics question? wasn't sure about that one...

Q: the tonkin gulf resolution question
A: the north vietnamese attacked an american ship in vietnam

Q: the '20s novel
A: Main street

Q: jefferson and hamilton's point of disagreement
A: the bank of the us

the economy in the '70s went thru severe inflation

Q: evolutionary trial
A: Scopes case

anyone know how to get your username and password back if you forgot them? this drove me crazy... had to make a new temporary one w/a new email address just to make a post :-/

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

That'd be nice =)

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

J- Link I believe you're correct about the KoL question. I think I put that because of things like the Sherman Anti-Trust Act which was used against labor.

The supply-side economics question (which I got wrong =\ that's 2 or 3 thus far) was eliminating income tax for the very poor. Reagan didn't do that.

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Ooohh, yeah, I put government legislation of labor for the Knights of Labor question. I don't think the government allowed collective bargaining until Roosevelt's New Deal. Didn't the Sherman Anti-Trust Act hurt unions b/c it placed them under the "trust" category?

By Phantom (Phantom) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

for the supply-side one, I chose that one saying they wanted to eliminate taxes for the poor altogether.

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Yeah that's what happened.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

so immigration in 1890s was definitely Italian and Hungarian? I didnt put that just b/c Hungarian sounds wrong, maybe its just me...

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Hungarian sounded wrong to be too, but if you think about it - immigration tended to come from south/west Europe at the time. Italy and Hungary both fit the picture. Plus Hungary would've been in more of an economic squeeze at the time. Logically, that SHOULD be the right answer.

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

I put Hungarian and italian ince it's eastern/southern Europe.

Does anyone know when the Irish potato famine was?

By Stfate1 (Stfate1) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Q: All of the following resulted from the stock market crash of 1929 except:
A: ???????????????

Q: 1932 US nonrecognition and the Stimson Doctrine
A: Japan’s territorial intrusions in China
Q: “City upon a hill”
A: John Winthrop's City upon a Hill, 1630

Q: During Truman Administration Soviet Union's strongest advantage right after WWII
A: I said army, Soviets occupied Eastern Europe after WWII; put pressure on US. Technology—no because Sputnik wasn’t launched till Eisenhower. Missiles—no because Soviets didn’t develop Atomic weapons until 1949, which wasn’t right after WWII. Still not 100% sure though……

Q: All helped women after 1963 Except…
A: I said Civil Rights act of 1964

Q: During colonial times most Indians did what after interacting with English colonists.
A: Choices: changed from hunting to agriculture, moved west of the Mississippi, converted to protestant Christianity, ?, ?. I didn’t like ANY of the answers and omitted this one. Does anyone know?

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Q: During colonial times most Indians did what after interacting with English colonists.
A: Choices: moved west of the mississippi

By Phantom (Phantom) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I said increasing dependence on fur trade (but wasn't that French?)

I also said Hungary and Italy

By J_Link (J_Link) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

i thought the answer to the Indian interaction question was that they moved west of the Mississippi. all the other choices made it seem like most Indians were merging too much with the colonists, which contradicts the fact that the popular attitude was to push the natives away... not sure though- anyone know the answer?

By J_Link (J_Link) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

oops, posted that one too late. thanks for the answer, Jenz. What were the other choices to the 1890s immigration question?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

there was irish and german, italian and french, british and something (definitely wrong) and one other one...

By Jens (Jens) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

the CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1964 is not right b/c it did help women, it included a clause on sexual discrimination as well as racial discrimination.

By Upandcomer22 (Upandcomer22) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

who came in the 1840's

irish?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

are you serious? argh. up to 10 wrong.

are we sure about the soviet advantage after WWII question now?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

pretty sure it was the irish in the 1840s, yes (potato famine, no?)

the argh was in reply to the fact that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 helped women...man thats just wrong.

By Sraj87 (Sraj87) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

What was the answer to the question about what the difference was between Spanish going to Mexico and English in Plymouth/Jamestown- the choices were like one was a joint stock company the other wasn't, one had experienced military and the other didn't, does anyone remember this one?

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

I put "depended more on fur and hide trade" because west of the Mississippi seemed too extreme for colonial times. But I don't know anything right now.

question: On the inner city question (spiraling real estate prices, fire codes, increased spending on improvements) which was it? I put that there wasn't increased spending...I didn't think the gov poured that much money into it.

Argh.

And the question about reactions to soviet union, I put the marshall plan wasn't in direct response...it's "official goal" was humanitarian, no? Argh, again.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

for inner city, i put spiraling real estate

iran/ayatollah: freezing assets??? i really had no clue

for the articles vs. constitution question, straight from from house.gov:
Congress was not authorized to raise money by taxation.
The Constitution overcame this weakness in Article. 1. Section. 8. Clause 1.

The federal government was not given sole power to coin money; states also kept that right.
The Constitution overcame this weakness in Article. 1. Section. 8. Clause 5.
The Constitution overcame this weakness in Article. 1. Section. 10. Clause 1.

...so which is it?

knights of labor: the correct answer was definitely "federal law protection"

During colonial times most Indians did what after interacting with English colonists.: WHAT IS TEH ANSWER TO THIS??!?! i spent like 3 minutes thinking about this question...i put "hunting to farming"

i'm -3 or -4 so far...

By Stfate1 (Stfate1) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Yeah Sraj87 I am sure the answer was that the English colonies did not focus on looking for gold, like Spain did. Jamestown was founded by a joint-stock company, the New England colonies were not. John Smith and other Jamestown colonists had military experience in the war of spanish succession, so the English did have military leaders in their colonies.

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

I think the ayatollah one was "reestablish diplomatic relations"...but I'm not sure. All of the other choices were negative...I thought relations weren't established until a bit later.

By Springfieldchri (Springfieldchri) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

for Iran, I put diplomatic relations

for Indians, I put fur trade

for spanish, I said joint stock

Soviet union, I put large army

Cities, I said real estate but am not at all sure

By Amdandrew (Amdandrew) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

The question about the Soviet Union's advantage was not technology. The question said their greatest advantage right after the end of the war. i.e. 45-46. That was their army...the one that was occupying eastern europe.

Does anyone have the score scale from the book 10 real SAT IIs? What does 5 wrong give you?

By Amdandrew (Amdandrew) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Stfate1,
The english colony in jamestown had trouble before Smith enacted martial law because the people spent most of their time searching for precious resources, rather than making food. Thus the answer was joint-stock. Also, I think all spanish stuff at the time were funded by the crown.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

i dont think it was the fur trade, cuz that was mainly with french traders, not English settlers...i was debating b/w protestantism and farming...chose farming

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

5 wrong = 800

By J_Link (J_Link) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

5 wrong would give you an 800, providing you haven't skipped more than three

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Q: Native Americans
A: moved west of Mississippi

Q: Spanish, English colonies
A: English colonies did not search for precious metals

90-81 800
80-78 790
78-77 780
76-75 770
74-73 760
72 750
71-70 740

By J_Link (J_Link) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

i think the answer to the indian question was moving west of the mississippi; the colonists' attitudes towards native americans was to terminate them, or push them away--for the most part, they didn't try to convert them, marry them, or merge them into their culture

By Springfieldchri (Springfieldchri) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

I dont think, or remember rather, whether the indian question refered to english colonization.

either way, not many were converted, and the indians were the ones who helped the english farm. The fur trade remained lucrative.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

it DEFINITELY said english colonists....but i dunno if that changes much...the more i think about it, the more i lean toward "moving west"

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Im taking the test in October, and I have the Kaplan US History book. What other book would you guys recommend that is most similar to the styles and types of questions that appear on this test?

I was really messed up for the Writing test because the barrons book is nothing like the real test

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Ayatollah - Definitely not freezing assets. We were going over that last week and we discussed that.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

dang, that sucks...im down to -5, i think

what did we decide on for "inner cities"? real state or govt spending?

By J_Link (J_Link) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

the Arco SAT II book is really good for its practice questions; make sure to take the test in the 10 Real SAT II Subject Tests book as well.

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Yes, always use the Real SAT IIs book.

By Stfate1 (Stfate1) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

For the indian question, how could moving west of the mississippi during the COLONIAL period be a logical answer, when the question said MOST indians? Second, many North American Indians thought that farming/agriculture was a job for women and the men continued hunting practices. I also think that the fur trade was more associated with New France than the English colonies. It's a shame this horrible question even made it onto the test.

Amdandrew,
I agree that some of the Jamestown colonists looked for gold in the beginning, yet did not meet success. The best answer is precious metals: gold played a huge role in the history of the Spanish colonies, while tobacco/shipping/rice played the largest role in the history of the English colonies in america. Also, Plymouth/Mass. Bay weren't funded by joint stock companies.

By Springfieldchri (Springfieldchri) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Plymouth was founded by a joint-stock company
No spanish colonies were, all from $ from the crown

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

yea, that's right... the answer was definitely joint stock

By Naventus (Naventus) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

I thought that the one comparing Jamestown/Massachusetts Bay Colony to the Spanish was "Lack of Military Experience". The reasoning behind is that the Spanish were the conquistadors and were army/navy people.

Jamestown looked for gold- to Stfate1- purpose of Jamestown was still to look for gold- doesn't matter whether or not they found it etc.

Mass was not a joint stock company so that's wrong.

I think it's the military experience answer because it was just young men from Jamestown and religious people in Mass while the Spanish were all captains/etc/and burned/plundered/killed/rifles. =)

By Springfieldchri (Springfieldchri) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Plymouth was founded by a joint stock company, The Virgnia Company. Through diligence, the pilmgrims bought all of it by 1630, I think.

Regardless, Jamestown was founded by a joint stock company. Again, no Spanish colonies were.

And Jamestown did have some military leaders: Smith, Rolfe, De La War

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

phew...i just looked up Taylorism...and i guessed that question right (the one with the pamphlet and the factory) before today, i had never heard of taylorism...

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

three cheers for taylorism...

what about the one that said "all these people were against the new deal EXCEPT"...some choices were Huey Long and Father Charles Coughlin (obviously not)...? I said townshend...no reasoning behind it.

By Shwack (Shwack) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

the answer to that question was william jennings bryan. long, coughlin, townsend, and smith were all opposed to the new deal.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

townshend was the governor of cali at the time, i picked against it because i thought he had a different plan for helping ppl

i chose william jennings bryan...cuz wasn't he dead by then?? he ran for prez in like 1900...new deal was 1933+, i think he woulda been too old and crusty to do much...

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

i just looked it up, bryan died in 1925. WAAY too early

By Shwack (Shwack) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

what was the answer to the Mennonites, Roman Catholics, Moravian, etc question? i chose german just because one of the names sounded german to me.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

i'm pretty sure that was german (i think someone said so above) - i guessed based on them being german-sounding too. :P

By Zephyr101 (Zephyr101) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

i'm pretty sure tonwnsend is the answer...he did something with helping the elderly. along the lines of social security. i guess he influenced the act.

cities is federal government spending to help them. the federal government could have cared less then...i think it was a lot of laissez faire and failure to regulate. remember that it wasn't before the progressive era that the federal government actively took a role in urban improvement/development. and the question said 1890s. i think.

By Whtx (Whtx) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

1. The Jimmy Carter one is human rights?
2. The Modern Art one is cubism? (What were other choices?
3. Immigrants from Europe were from Italy&Hungary, not from Ireland&Germany?
4. The twenties novel isnt the Grapes of Wrath?
5. What were the choices to the KOL question?
6. Whats the ayatollah?
7. Was the question about 1890 cities, spiraling real estate price?
8. Whats the supply side economics?
9. Whats the one about the women rights?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

1. yes
2. yes (there was also romanticism and some others)
3. I put ireland + germany but now realize that was the time of southeastern europe immigrants, most likely italy + hungary.
4. i think we all agree now that the 20s novel was Main Street (grapes of wrath wasnt about middle class, right?)
5. dont remember
6. got that one wrong, thats all i know (it wasnt the choice about the passenger plane being shot down by a surface-to-air missile)
7. i dont know if we've answered that, I second the question.
8. Supply side economics was all of them EXCEPT getting rid of federal taxes for poor people.
9. Civil Rights Act of 1964 (go figure).

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

oh sorry, for #9 i meant that Civil Rights Act of 1964 DID help women, the answer was something else, its definitely posted above.

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Grapes of Wrath is about the 30's (Great Depression.)

By Whtx (Whtx) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

im surprised no one has mentioned this yet. What was the thing about the Beats?

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

beats-some critics of society during some time

so the ayahtollah one WASNT the 1st choice-something bout a plane gettin shot down?

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

The "Beat" Generation --- they didn't want to conform. This is how I remembered it (provided I am taking the AP Exam next week, lol): They wanted to "beat" the conformity out of people... or you know, make them realize that they were basically all the same.

In addition, the Iran from 1979 to 1989... America did freeze Iranian assets, helicopters were sent in to save whatever, but I don't remember the diplomatic relations...

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

okay- so from what i've read, the only two that we seem to not come to an agreement on are the Ayatollah, and the 1890s cities...for the 1890s cities, i put all except: high real estate prices...Because if you looked at all of the answerrs except that answer, they had to do with reform and improvements to better the city..so that answer went against the common theme, but i cant be 100 percent sure that that's the correct answer.

By Qvdp (Qvdp) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

I believe the question about immigration was on the 1890s? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Historical Census Statistics on the Foreign-born Population of the United States 1890-1900

1890 1900

Italy 182,580 484,027
Difference 301,447

Hungary 62,435 145,714
Difference 83,279

Total Difference 384,726

Germany 2,784,894 2,663,418
Difference -121,476

Ireland 1,871,509 1,615,459
Difference -256,050

Total Difference -377,526

While the foreign-born populations of Germans and Irish are much greater than those of Italians and Hungarians, they are on the decline during the 1890s whereas the population of foreign-born Italians and Hungarians are increasing.

This is the data. Draw your own conclusions.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

so the beat society was the choice about not conforming?

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

The plane did get shot down in referrence to the Ayatollah question, sadly as a persian, not even I knew that. My parents and my friend's parents and another adult I knew all confirmed it after the test.

The answer was the one about diplomatic relations (the other one I was considering).

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

yes, miscgrl. it is in the REA AP textbook.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Zephyr101 - Townsend is definitely NOT the answer, since Bryan was DEAD at the time of the New Deal and obviously could not oppose it, thus, Bryan is the answer to that.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I think that firebird's logic does make sense if you think about it....

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I know I posted this question above but I'm really curious, we never came to a conclusion on it, and there are so many questions at once that some seem to get lost.

What was the Soviet Republic's main advantage after World War II?

I put technology, but now I'm not sure.

If you don't know the answer, do you remember exactly was the question asked? Did it say "right" after WWII? Did it state during what president's administration?

Then again if nobody cares and you find me posting this question again annoying, I'll just stop now. :)

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

lol, I loved that Roosevelt question with Townshend and Bryan.

Miscgrl, for the Soviet Union, the question went something like this:
After World War II, which Soviet Union strength did President Truman address?
Ok, the question was probably nothing like that, blame my crappy memory, but it was definitely right after WWII and during Truman's administration. I put land-missles but I'm not sure at all. Maybe we should take a vote? Does anyone know for sure?

I can't remember the 1890s cities question, can anyone tell me what it asked?

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

seems like there were two versions of the US test, cuz i dont remember the Soviet>US tech question AT ALL.

can anyone confirm?

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

the question was: Which of these did not occur with regards to inner cities during the late 19th century?

choices: increase federal funding, reform for better conditions, municipal improvements of fire hazards, spiraling real estate prices, and one other...

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

the plane was not shot down during Ayatollah's reign of Iran. 5 helicopters malfunctioned and crashed in the desert before reaching Tehran to free the prisoners

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

They don't usually make multiple versions of SAT IIs. The Soviet question was towards the end on the last page, maybe 2nd to last question?

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

grapes of wrath began in the late 20s (the boy got outa of jail in 1928 or so)

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Grapes of wrath was definitely not the answer to that books question.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

hmm, thats funny, cuz i definitely dont remember the soviet question

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

For the Ayatollah, I googled the "shoot down Iranian passenger plane" and got:

"On 3 July 1988, the American warship Vincennes shot down an Iranian airliner over the Persian Gulf. Two hundred and ninety passengers died. The Vincennes had mistaken the airliner for an Iranian warplane. Some Middle Eastern countries accused the Americans of deliberately destroying the Iranian Airbus."

1988 was not during the Ayatollah's reign, as Sarasote said, so that's probably the answer?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

i just read on the internet that Main Street was about a snobbish girl who thought her small town was superior, or something like that. It was set in the 20s.

Can't remember exactly what the question was now. but I think its Main Street.

I think Grapes of Wrath was still very focused on the Depression, not really on 20s life, I could be wrong tho.

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

"seems like there were two versions of the US test, cuz i dont remember the Soviet>US tech question AT ALL.

can anyone confirm?"

yeah firebird637, this was the second to the last question. and i put that the answer was "advanced tech"

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

The other choice was The Age of Innocence, and that was set during the 1870s, so I'm 99% sure Main Street was the answer.

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

They don't usually make multiple versions of SAT IIs. The Soviet question was towards the end on the last page, maybe 2nd to last question?

was that the question about what was their greatest military advancement? it was not technology. Soviet Union was not known for their technology until the 60s when Sputnik was launched. i believe it was their military power since they took over numerous countries immediately after WWII and successfully enguling nations into their communism

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Yeah, that was the question, Sarasote. Now that I think about it again, it might be its Army since the Soviet Union had such a large population, and therefore, more people to "sacrifice".

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

yes also that is when we issued the Truman Doctrine to protect Turkey/Greece from Soviet Union's military power

By Smiliekat (Smiliekat) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

how many can you miss and still make a 800? what about 750?

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

90-81 800
80-78 790
78-77 780
76-75 770
74-73 760
72 750
71-70 740

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

from the curves i seen, about 80-82 out of 90 raw points is an 800. then it goes downward. 750 is around 70 raw points while 700 is around 65 ish. im basing this off of 4 curves ive seen for this test

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Does anyone remember the wording of the Ayatollah question? Didn't it just say between 1979-1989, because the passenger airline was in 1988.

Actually I chose passenger airline so I want to be sure before I get happy lol.

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

I remember 1979, I don't know about it being from 1979-1989.

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

there may have been a plane shot down in 1988 during the beginnings of the iraqi war against kuwait but during carter's period, there were 5 helicopters that carter sent to save the prisoners and the planes crashed. carter lost a lot of popularity and the u.s. was humiliated this happened in the rite time period (but it was not shot but i dont think that makes a difference this answer was not the correct answer)

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

i do remember the question saying specifically "surface to air missile" as the means of bringing the airline down if that helps any (ie to figure out which incident they're talking about)

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Sarasote, I don't really understand what you're trying to say about the helicopters. Didn't the question say what all of the following happened EXCEPT...? So if the shooting down of the passenger plane wasn't during the right time period (I'm hoping that it's not, since that's the answer I chose, lol), then wouldn't that be the correct answer?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

OK i just looked some stuff up and this is what I found out.

First of all, the Ayatollah Khomeini ruled as religious leader from 1979-1989, so those were the years (thats what I had remembered from the question as well).

Iran Air Flight 655 was shot down by a missile launched from a ship (surface-to-air?) and killed almost 300 civilians in 1988.

Therefore I (unforunately) don't think that could've possibly have been the answer.

I guess it was probably the dipomacy one, but I'm not sure. I know that after the incident the Ayatollah vowed revenge on America and then died a year later so we know no diplomacy followed the incident, and if American was trying to shoot Iranian military planes (it hit the passenger plane by accident) then I guess there wasn't much diplomacy before then either.

That's my guess anyhow.

By Whtx (Whtx) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

What were the CHOICES to the Taft Hartley Act of 1947?

What about the one about the compromise of 1850? It was like A) Henry Clay and Daniel Webster. B) John Calhoun

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

taft hartley: dont remember choices, answer was labor relations

compromise of 1850: answer was A, webster and clay

By Upandcomer22 (Upandcomer22) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

For Taft Hartley I put that it tried to take power away from labor unions (im pretty sure thats right).

For Comp. of 1850, I put A; Henry Clay and Daniel Webster compromised over something something something

By Momof2inca (Momof2inca) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

How many questions were on the history test today? My S wants to clarify.

By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

Iranian question:

was'nt the answer we did all EXCEPT give them weapons???

i didn't study this, but i just know that a popular defense anti-Iraq war people use is "The United States used to support Saddam Hussein in the first place"

We supported Iraq in the 1980s AGAINST Iran...therefore we did not GIVE iran weapons..but iraQ

i think that's what it is ?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:06 am: Edit

Momof2inca: there were 90 questions

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:08 am: Edit

Shortcakefairy: you would think that right, but then wasn't there the whole Iran-Contra (1983-88) thing? I think, looking back, the US was giving weapons to both sides (but Iran-Contra was in exchange for hostages being released I believe.)

I don't know, I think the answer was diplomacy.

By Spright (Spright) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:59 am: Edit

What about the question:
Which was not a direct affront (or something to that end) against the soviet?
- Marshall Plan
- Truman Doctrine
- some things that were
- Korean War

I hate Marshall Plan invasions...I thought this wasn't meant to curb the soviet power too much since we offered soon-to-be bloc countries aid too...the soviet just refused. But the Korean War wasn't really anything...could a policy of containment be applied to it?

Ay. I'm up to 6 missed for sure, and 3 in dispute.

Oh...one more:
The graph the showed a big increase in population from 1720 to 1780...what was the answer? I put "almost doubled every 20 years"..only one that could directly come from the graph.

argh. I should stop coming here...I can't expend all my paranoia about one test in just a few days...I have to make it last for two weeks!
heh.

By Whtx (Whtx) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:01 am: Edit

It was the US involvement in the United Nations i think. I also put doubling every 20 years.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 10:17 am: Edit

Yes, US involvement in UN did not directly affront USSR and I also put doubling every 20 years....and Sarasote-what is the most generous score you've seen on the test? Because right now, because of many dumb mistakes, I have a 70 raw score, but I'm hoping it still puts me at 750+.

By Amdandrew (Amdandrew) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

US/Soviet advantage was their Army. They did not have superior technology at the cited time (45/46). Their army however was occupying eastern europe.

Their nukes/technology came in 49-way after the end of the war.

By Spright (Spright) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

(I can't let this question go...)
But our involvement in the UN really didn't involve getting along with the Soviet. I mean, the second they walked out we went for Korea, practically...

I hope there's a decent curve :)

By Cylot5 (Cylot5) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Ayatollah Questions: I know an Iranina passenger airliner got shot down by the US during the GULF WAR (1980's, too late for time period specified) but i dont believe US resumed diplomatic relations. I thought that since the Islamic revolution in 1979 and the Hostage taking, America would cut of diplomatic relations. It is prob the airliner because it happened so much later

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure the time period was 1979-1989 in the question, no? Would make sense also because those were the 10 years Ayatollah Khomeini was in power as religious leader...

Thats why I keep saying it had to be diplomatic relations. The aircraft was shot down in 1988, and we shot it down b/c we were at war with them (hence no diplomatic relations) and did not resume diplomatic relations in the year afterward as the Ayatollah had sworn revenge on America.

Anyone else have any input? I think this makes sense....

By Qvdp (Qvdp) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Of course the Soviet Union's greatest advantage at the end of World War II was their army. At that time, they had the LARGEST ARMY IN THE WORLD. They did not develop nuclear weapons, advanced technology, or missiles until later, and the answer about lend-lease was just whack and obviously wrong.

By Stfate1 (Stfate1) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

I must know the answer to this question; it has been bugging me since I saw it on the test:

Q: During colonial times most Indians did what after interacting with English colonists?

Choices: changed from hunting to agriculture, moved west of the Mississippi, converted to protestant Christianity, depended more on the fur and hide trade, intermarried with them

I still cannot find an acceptable answer among the choices. Does anyone have a clue?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

As I'm fairly sure its definitely not the first, third or fifth choice there, I came between moving west of the Miss and depended more on the fur and hide trade.

At first I put the fur and hide trade. But since it was ENGLISH colonists, and the fur and hide were mostly the French, I changed it last minute to moving west of the Miss.

I mean, I think during colonial times was when the Indians began moving further and further west, but then again, west of the Miss. seems kinda extreme,

I think its really bad question.

By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Did most of the indians convert to farming when the coloists came?

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

i put that they went from hunting to agriculture, but i guess that isnt right. at first i put that they moved west, then i changed to that they traded, AND THEN i finally changed it to the agriculture one for the last time. o well...

By Qvdp (Qvdp) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

I'd say fur-and-hides. Remember, the French got kicked out of there pretty fast during the French and Indian War, and the English did trade with them. They clearly did not change from hunting to agriculture - although they lost their hunting grounds to expanding colonial settlements, they didn't convert to agriculture. They did not move west of the Mississippi until after colonial times - the Indian Removal Act, which specifically said "move 'em west of ol' man river," wasn't issued until 1824. It wasn't converting them to protestantism, or intermarriage - most of them died pretty quickly, leaving few Indians around to form such a trend. The fur and hide trade, while not really what comes to mind, seems to be the only possibly correct answer by process of elimination.

By Terpfan101 (Terpfan101) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

wow i definately remember that hudson school question from MAY OF 2003's SAT2 US History!!! I took apush last year and after the sat 2 i was like wtf is that school? some really obscure fact that was mentioned in my text book in a sentence! My teacher was shocked but anyway, it seems like some of the questions were the same? I guess they recycle a lot of questions. The 80's economic one is SLOW INFLATION IT WAS CALLED STAGFLATION. I Def remember the irish potato question. How funny would that be if it was the same exam each year. Good luck to you all. I came out feeling a little nervous but got a 740. Afterwards when i came on here i was like damn already 10 or so wrong. but i'm sure you will do well. Good luck for htose of you on apush friday!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page