Am I stupid?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Am I stupid?
By Jblackboy05 (Jblackboy05) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:17 am: Edit

Next year I'm taking AP English Literature and Comp, AP Calc AB, AP American Gov, AP Physics, and AP Spanish? Should I drop 1, I think I can survive, I had 3 AP this year, are these clases hard? Help I need Advice!

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:35 am: Edit

Based on your scores, 1400+ SATs, you clearly have the intelligence to take such a tough course load. The deciding factor will be how hard you choose to work senior year, when many students get hit by senioritis.

The kind of schedule you describe is routine in schools that have IB programs. In fact, the students in such programs take that kind of AP/IB intensive load even junior year. They even one or two more AP/IB classes than you plan to each year. Some also have scores that are only in the 1200s, but still manage to carry such a load plus do an extended essay (20 page research paper) that is done outside of class.

If you are serious about going to a top ranked college, I suggest that you stick with the program you're planning to take, and that you do the hard work of getting top grades in those classes.

The rigor of one's academic curriculum is one of the main things that college admissions officers look at when figuring out whether a student will be admitted into elite schools. Applicants to places such as HPYS are expected to have taken the hardest curriculum available at their schools.

One thing that hurts a lot of black students is that overall, black students tend not to enroll in the AP/IB classes even when such classes are offered.

Sure, the classes are hard, but you have the intelligence to excel in them.If you for some reason don't think the effort is worth it, then apply to second tier schools where you'd go to college with students who have not taken the AP intensive curriculum. The type of curriculum that you are considering is the norm for students at the top ranked colleges.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page