SAT II Help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: SAT II Help!
By Chicagojen (Chicagojen) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

I'm a Jr, and a bunch of the colleges i'm looking at require 3 SAT IIs, so I decided to take them June 5th. Im going to take Writing, US History, and Math IIC. However, I have absoloutly no idea what to expect or how difficult they are going to be, i'm pretty much just going into them blindly. Do you guys have any tips on how to prepare, or what I need to know? Right now im in APUSH, Precalc, and AP Eng. Language if that helps.

By Zzii (Zzii) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

Hey Chicagojen. SAT IIs are kinda weird b/c no class really teaches toward them, so often times you do wind up going into them "blindly." You still have some time, so getting review books and doing practice tests from them might be a good idea. In general, SAT IIs are easier than APs in terms of material covered, but a lot of times the style is so different that if you don't see a few practice tests it might throw you off. Writing is it's own entity really and there isn't much you can do to study for it. If you've taken the PSAT, it's very similar to the writing section of that, except there is a short essay. Mainly they are looking for writing ability in terms of conventions. The rest is multiple choice where you have to find grammatical errors or reword sentences, etc. You will be prepared material-wise for math IIC if you are in Precalc. It goes up to advanced trig, but not higher. The curve on the IIC is easier than the IC because the material is somewhat more difficult. You should find some practice questions to get used to the style, though. It's kind-of like the SAT Math section, but much less logic-IQ-test-ish and more testing what you actually learned in math. Am Hist completely depends on your AP US History class. Usually if you are prepared for the AP, you should be okay for the SAT II. Still, a review book might help just to get used to the format of the test. Also, you can always retake one or more in the beginning of your senior year so don't stress out over them. Good luck!

-Shane

By Chicagojen (Chicagojen) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Thanks so much! That helps a ton!

~Jen~

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Get some prep books, either at the bookstore or the library, and get familiar with the tests. They always include practice tests, so read up on the strategies and take the tests, and you should be fine. I have PR's Writing & Lit book and it's excellent. Their books for the other ones are probably pretty good too.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page