Good websites for AP English Language preparation?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Good websites for AP English Language preparation?
By Johnmayerfan (Johnmayerfan) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

all of the ones I have are outdated.

Please help??? test is monday.

P.S. does anyone know how they administer this test? when are the breaks? can i bring snacks? do i have to use ballpoint pen for the Free response?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

No food. You must have a black ballpoint pen. The test works like this. One hour for the MC. A 15 minute break I believe, where you can go to the bathroom, atleast at my school. Then the 2 hour essays.

As for websites, I don't know. I use a barrons book and all. Good luck to you monday! I know I'll be needing all the luck I can get!

By Johnmayerfan (Johnmayerfan) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

Thanks Sam,

and good luck to you too. at least i'm a sr. and i only need a good score for credit/placement - you need a good score for admission, right?

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

John, do you know how the AP Language Exam is different from AP Lit? I don't have enough money to buy a review book and I'm just winging it for credit/placement, like you said. Should I be able to perform about the same on Language as I do on Lit? I just need a 4. Man, I wish they had practice tests online or something. I can't find ANY.

By Tanman (Tanman) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure that you're allowed to have food during the breaks. My school actually provides us with crackers and bottled water during the breaks for each test.

Musefinity, you might want to see if you library has any AP Language books with practice tests. From what I've heard, the AP Lit test requires knowledge of a certain books. The AP Lang requires no such knowledge. You'll have 3 essays, each of them either stylistic analysis, rhethorical analysis or challange/defend/qualify argumentation.

By Karadarkblood (Karadarkblood) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

AP Lit - Appx. 60 MC questions; then 3 essays. The first is on a prose passage; the second is on a poem; the third is an open question where you pick the novel or play. You MUST have read at LEAST one of the books on the AP reading list. Safe bets are Hamlet and 1984; they generally have many themes which can be applied to the questions.
AP Language - Appx 60 MC questions on Language and Structure as oppose to theme; three essays: two on prose passages or essays; the last is an open response question, usually dealing with human nature or something of the like.

I'm getting 98% in AP Lit and got 97% in AP Lang in class last year, and I'm scoring around a 90% on the Lang M/C - the best bet for doing these is to study key terms - rhetoric devices, syntax, ect. For the Lit Exam: KNOW your POETRY terms. My teacher did an awful job of covering these and I've had to cover them on my own. They are so important to the poetry M/C and poetry Essay on the Lit Exam.

Two days left til the Lang exam! Good Luck!

By Miamiman (Miamiman) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

we just took a practice AP Lang test. i got a 4 with missing about 20 questions out of 53 mult choice, and then getting 7's and 8's on the essays. DOes anyone have any tips on improving the MC Score, or any web sites and study preps to use!!

by the way my school gives candy bars and kool aid during the breaks
(talk about trying to get us pepped up), lol

By Mitodnaman (Mitodnaman) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

ya, can any one tell how I can improve my MC scores....On essays, my teacher always gives me scores from 7-9

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page