Who's taking AP English LANGUAGE?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2004 Archive: Who's taking AP English LANGUAGE?
By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

How different is this from AP Literature? How hard do you think it'll be to get a 4? I did an English Literature practice test and got 48/54 questions right but haven't found any English Language practice tests. Are they similar enough to assume I can get a 4 if I study a little and my essays are decent?

The material can't be THAT different, can it? I need to cram.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

That is an excellent multiple choice score (way over what you need for a 5). That's especially impressive if you took the test out of a book that's known to be harder than average.

However, just be sure your essays are good. 55% of your Language grade is devoted to the three essays (two hours total). I would worry more about essays if I were you. The language multiple choice is basically an incredibly difficult version of the SATI critical reading essays. If you want a comparison, I'll usually miss 0-2 total on CR for SATI, but I'll usually miss around 10-15% on the language MC.

I'd start reading some "good" essays to get a feel for what you need. The big emphasis is on your ability to recognize rhetorical devices (in two of the passage) and CONNECT TO AUTHOR'S PURPOSE. If you get that system down, you're good to go on two of the essays.

The defend-challenge-qualify essay is a little different and a bit easier. Basically, choose a strong stance (defend or challenge, don't qualify). Then throw examples from history and literature (and personal experience if it's good). It's very much like an SATII prompt, except you get more time and the question is a little longer and harder.

By Madness (Madness) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 07:25 am: Edit

i'm taking the AP english language course along with a couple other top english students, and we all just took our 1st practice MC on monday and BOMBED. i got 12/49 wrong...WAY more than i usually do--i usually ace the SAT V. how many more do i need to get right to get a 5? my essays aren't a problem.

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

If I were to get two 8's and a 9, how many MC do I need for a 4!

By Dolphinz33 (Dolphinz33) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Our teacher is known to be a very tough grader for essays...she has actually graded what a college-board-graded 9 paper and gave it a 5.
But im worried about the multiple choice! haha - i saved 12 hours for AP Lang studying - 8am to 8pm on sunday! :-P

By Wab (Wab) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

I haven't taken the AP Lit exam yet, so I don't know what it's about, but I'm taking the AP Lang one in... what... four days? But one thing that's a super biggie on AP Lang is rhetorical strategies. Know your terms and be able to analyze diction, syntax, etc...

By Jblackboy05 (Jblackboy05) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

I am taking the exam on monday, If I were you study your abstract "rhetorical techniques" like understatement, anecedote, syllogism, and paradox so that you will be able to identify them in a mc passage or free response passage. The multiple choice is hard. Good Luck

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 08:56 am: Edit

I'm taking AP Lang... I don't think I'm going to prep so much, but I've done practice MCs + essays in class. I'm a lot more focused on getting a 5 in Euro.

By Johnmayerfan (Johnmayerfan) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

um, you know how you can cite facts/statistics as fodder for your arguments in the free response? can you make these up??? I mean, they're essentially there for purpose; who's going to check the veracity anyways?

By Johnmayerfan (Johnmayerfan) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

also regarding the mc. I did a practice test in class on a REALLY old, but real collegeboard test and missed 8 mc q's. I'm doing stuff out of books right now and am missing like 17!!! WHat's a person to do? is that actually accurate?? What essay scores do i need to get a 4 or 5 here?

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Yeah! I missed 6 on a practice exam in class (in Literature) but then in PR I missed 20. I was crazy-depressed. I'm hoping the PR tests are harder.

Also, how do you go about writing the persuasive essay with your "experience, observations, and readings"? Do you just go about saying, "this one time my aunt really illustrated this point blah blah blah"? Does anybody have a persuasive essay they've written in class they might let me read? Or atleast help me prepare for it.

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

btw guys... only something like 300/58000 kids get 9's on an individual essay

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

I always seem to have trouble finishing on time because I'm a slow reader. I'm pretty sure i can get 7+ on the essays because I'm actually good at them. My total goal is a 4 on the exam. If I am running out of time, should I work fast or skip or what?

By Johnmayerfan (Johnmayerfan) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

bump, this is more important than the sat ii's right?

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

If you had the ability to get two 8's and a 9, you wouldn't be aiming for a 4. The truth is, it is VERY difficult to get a 9, especially since grading these essays is very subjective. Even 8's are hard. Heck, even 7's are hard.

Anyway, if you get a 9 and 2 8's, you'd only need about 25 rescaled on the MC to get a 5 (which means about one third of the questions). You'd need next to nothing to get a 4, and you could get 0 (even negative, if it were possible) and still pass the exam.

Like I said, though, I wouldn't count on a 9 and 2 8's. I wouldn't be surprised if fewer than 100 of the 50,000+ students who take the AP Language test get 25 or higher out of 27 on the essay raw score.

By Dolphinz33 (Dolphinz33) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

i know a lot of people who got 4's and they're not that good of writiers of test takers so im not overly worried...the best way to study is get a good nites sleep...u cant study writing an essay

By Jblackboy05 (Jblackboy05) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

I heard that one, at this point I'm just going to try my best. I'm hoping for a four. On the last practice exam I took this week I got a mc score of 27 and three 7's and got a four using real AP calculations. However, I'd like to get my mc score up so I wouldn't just be making the 4 range by .03 points

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

About 580/58000 kids get 9s.

By Curiousstudent (Curiousstudent) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

musefinity, how do u know this?

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

That's what Princeton Review says, atleast. Here, I'll post:

PERCENTAGE BREAKDOWN OF STUDENTS

9---1%
8---5%
7---10%
6---20%
5---23%
4---22%
3---15%
2---3%
1---1%
0--->1%

Kind of scary but I guess you only need 3 7s and a decent MC score to get a 5. And 16% get a 7 or above. I don't think I'll end up pulling through but oh well.

By Curiousstudent (Curiousstudent) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

what raw score is needed for a 5?

By Curiousstudent (Curiousstudent) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:53 am: Edit

does anyone know?

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:02 am: Edit

I don't know. I think usually a 104-108. What's the cutoff for a 5 in AP Literature? 114?

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:26 pm: Edit

So say we got in the 3-5 range on the essays, what mc score should we be looking at for a 4 on the exam?

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:56 pm: Edit

anyone know?
should i rush if I am running out of time or just risk leaving a whole bunch blank. I ussually finish each passage in 15-17 mins so the last passage will have alot less time.

also, do you guys read paragraph 1, then do the questions that apply to paragraph 1 and so on for the whole passage? Ive heard this works but i think its too late to change my strategy now

By Wordpad (Wordpad) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

What raw score is needed for a 5 on the AP Language Exam?

By Wordpad (Wordpad) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

bump......

By Karadarkblood (Karadarkblood) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

70% on the MC, at least 6's on the essays; safer with two sevens and a six. That would get a 5 for sure. The Lang m/c is slightly easier than the lit, I think - I score about 90% on the Lang MC but only about 70-80% on the Lit. I find that for the Lit MC, they aren't really looking for deep answers to questions, just face-value type answers. I think they just want to test (on the MC) whether or not you can actually read and comprehend a passage. The written section is for seeing whether you can interpret a passage. **eek** Lang TOMORROW! Good luck to all!

By Karadarkblood (Karadarkblood) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

Also - DON'T RUSH through the last passage. If you run out of time, look for those questions that require simply reading one line and identifying the one device or strategy (you know, those stupid "in line 6, the author employs all EXCEPT," questions) because they don't require reading the entire passage. DON'T MAKE RANDOM GUESSES, they WILL detract from your score!!! BUT - If you can eliminate two or three (the books say one, but I think that's a little too much of a risk) answers, go for it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page