University of rochester award

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: University of rochester award
By Cleanfreak (Cleanfreak) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

i am a high school student, and got nominated for the humanities and social sciences award from university of rochester. i received a medal and letter and certificate. has anyone received the same? does it look really good on ur college app?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

My daughter received the Bausch and Lomb Award from University of Rochester. I would certainly list such awards on your academic award list for college applications. It is a recognized award. I cannot tell you what looks good or what gets you in but certainly academic awards are a strong thing to have on an application. Of course you need the other things too. But recognition for academics, as well as recognition in your extracurricular endeavors enhance the application. Not everyone has earned such awards. So include them!

I think MANY factors contributed to my child's success in her college admissions so I cannot claim the academic awards looked good or not. She had them and she had a positive outcome with selective colleges.

Congrats to you. Please include this on your application. Hopefully you have other achievements as well and while just this one alone is not hugely signficant, it would be a beneficial addition to a profile of you as a student along with other achievements.

Susan

By Zzii (Zzii) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

I received a similar (probably the same) award from U of Rochester. It actually used to be called the "Xerox Award for Humanities and Social Sciences" until the year I got it. Mine was a glass prism with a book inside and it still said Xerox even though I think the new name had taken effect already. Nominees qualified for a $6,000? scholarship if they attend U of Rochester. I'm not sure if that is still true. Anyway, definitely put it on your applications. Mine may have helped because I am going into engineering and most of my awards were math/science related, so it kind-of balanced the list. Congrats on your award and good luck in your college search.

-Shane

By Cleanfreak (Cleanfreak) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

actually the $6000 scholarship is still valid today.....they said that nominees qualify for this scholarship.
thank u

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page