AP Bio Panic!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP Bio Panic!
By Number9 (Number9) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Well, 2 weeks until the AP Bio test. To say that I am panicking would be an understatement. Ive got to go over: plants, animals, 5-kingdom systems, and ecology. All of the other stuff I understand fairly well.

However, I cannot comprehend plant structure at all. No matter how many times I read this, I cannot understand it. I definitely don't have time to dawdle around trying to find ways to understand all this stuff (plants and probably more). My teacher is horrible at explaining this stuff, as well...

Does anyone have any ideas or any methods on how they understand such abstract stuff?

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

go in your backyard and pick a flower. Cut it open. good luck!

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

Heh.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

What are you specifically having trouble with?

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

I've got the SAT 2 Bio on Saturday, and then AP tests afterwards. And I don't feel prepared for any of it! The best I can do is cram and be in a good mood with a full stomach on the testing days, ready to guess my ass off.

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 05:58 am: Edit

I need some advice from anyone who's taken AP Bio. The sample test on the college board website seems pretty simple (MC). Are all questions at that level?

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Okay, here's my plan. A couple chapters from Cliffs everyday and create flashcards, and just drill them. I am aiming for a 5, is it possible?

By Lifeisgood (Lifeisgood) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Number 9, of the topics you list (plants, animals, 5-kingdom systems, and ecology), there is only one that I knew anything about for the AP exam. I knew ecology decently, but I knew NOTHING at all about plants or animals (literally--hadn't had any bio in HS that had mentioned them) and almost that little about 5-kingdom systems (I think I knew a few of the big catagories, and that was it). I did read Cliff's, but I figured that I couldn't learn those topics over a weekend, so I just skipped them. I got a 5. No worries.

Best Wr: Some are very, very easy. Some are pretty challenging. Some you can figure out if you know latin or just english very well based on roots, etc. Remember, AP Bio has an awesome curve... I think you have to get just over the points to get a 5. Expect that there will be a lot of MC you have no clue on. That's not a problem.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

That's cool. Do you know what the curve is like for the Bio SAT II? It's pretty tough in Barron's (-5 = 780) considering the amount of information you need to know for the test.

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

I think I liked ecology... I just finished writing flashcards from Cliffs.

Lifeisgood - I take it you were incredibly skilled in the other topics though?

By K_A_T_H (K_A_T_H) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

does anyone know what percentage of the questions you can miss to still get a 5 on the bio ap exam?? thanks!

By Lifeisgood (Lifeisgood) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Number9--I did know the other topics pretty well but not with any extraordinary depth. I only took one year of HS Bio (AP), but I did read the assigned chapters and take notes on them.

I think I just had a wonderful teacher. He's been teaching AP Bio for many, many years and says that 90+% of kids get 5s.

By Lifeisgood (Lifeisgood) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Number9--I did know the other topics pretty well but not with any extraordinary depth. I only took one year of HS Bio (AP), but I did read the assigned chapters and take notes on them.

I think I just had a wonderful teacher. He's been teaching AP Bio for many, many years and says that 90+% of kids get 5s.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

Kath - I think you can miss 1/3 of the points and still get a 5.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit

yea, for most of the tests, a 60~65% should still give u a five

By Monarchsfan16 (Monarchsfan16) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

60-65% and still get a 5? Maybe I will manage a 3 after all! Honestly, that class has been awful. We all call her the bio Nazi, because she truly is one. And my grades uh haven't been the best in that class. I'm so worried about that test. No amount of cramming will ever help me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page