I need help understanding National Merit Qualifying

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: I need help understanding National Merit Qualifying
By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

I heard from my friend that the top 50,000 scorers on the PSAT who are juniors got their notifications of being qualifiers for whichever round it is. The thing is, though, that the only people from my school who qualified are girls and they scored significantly lower than several guys I know, myself included.

I'm not angry because I know my scores weren't that good anyway and I wouldn't get any kind of money for them, but I'm confused.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Sorry to hijack the post, bro:

To those of you who got the letter:

I'm an idiot -- I lost mine, what was the website again.

In case you don't believe me, there was a purple/blue paper and then a white one saying that they'll tell who the NMS finalists or semifinalists were next fall, but for now the top 50,000 got this letter and the top 34000 at least were going to be commended students.

Anyway, to my understanding those attending boarding school and those who live in different states get different cut-offs.

By Ninjamom (Ninjamom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

website is:

http://www.collegeplans.org

but you need your ID and PASSWORD that's printed on the letter.

Here's the Phone# so you can call and get it:

(847) 866-5100

By Jrpar (Jrpar) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

The top 50,000 scorers nationally received the notification letter over the last couple of weeks - no diffentiation for gender, boarding school, state, etc. From other posts, it appears the cut-off for this initial letter was a score of 201.

But for the NEXT round (determining semi-finalists vs. commended), there are different score cut-offs for each state.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Thanks. Maybe these girls just don't know their scores as well as they thought they did.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page