Kaplan Review Books

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Kaplan Review Books
By Cctgc (Cctgc) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

I'm currently studying for US History and Math IIC to be tested in May. I'm using the Kaplan books. I scored 430 on US History (no prep) and I scored 600 on IIC (no prep). I was wondering if Kaplan's book is too easy. I'm currently reading the History for Kaplan and is half way done. Math IIC I study while I'm in my physics class or something that's not important or hard. I was wondering if I should get Barron's for IIC/History or REA. Actually, which book doesn't over prep you. I know that Barron's overprep a little.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

As for the IIC- Barron's will definitely overprep you, to the point that most people will tell you that a 700 in Barron's is almost a guaranteed high 700/800. Princeton Review is a good book for the IIC- it seemed to present realistic questions that I found on the real deal. Wasn't too hard, wasn't too easy. The REA book covers most of the information on the IIC but it doesn't teach it to you, it just lays it all down in pretty much notebook form (I personally liked it better that way). The practice tests in the REA book were pretty good indicators of the real test (as far as score is concerned) but I don't remember them being the best examples of true test questions. Lastly, really really use CC. When I was prepping there was a poster on here that would put up practice questions he needed help on and I'd try to think his questions through (making sure I understood the question, etc) and it really helped- maybe more than the prep books.

-Jesse

By Pinacolada (Pinacolada) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

hmm i've always wondered why no one recommends kaplan. i hear of a lot about barron's and PR.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page