AP Bio or AP Psychology?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP Bio or AP Psychology?
By _Twinkletoes (_Twinkletoes) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

which is class is better? harder? looks more appealing to colleges?

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Better-Bio
Harder-Bio
More Appealing-Bio

By Miumiu016 (Miumiu016) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

2nd vote for bio

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

I'd definitely go for bio.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

I'd definitely go for bio.

By Unluckycharms (Unluckycharms) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Bio.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

In my opinion, biology isn't hard, since the word "hard" implies that the material is difficult to understand. This is the absolute opposite of what biology is; the material is extremely easy to understand.

A better word to describe bio is "time consuming." If reading a 1,000 page textbook with big pages and small font two to three times doesn't appeal to you, don't take it. The material is crystal clear; there's just way too much of it. Check out the Campbell Reece Mitchell textbook; it's the one I used. I read every word in that huge book two times, and in some cases, three. I also read the Cliffnotes for AP Bio front to back. I wouldn't advise taking Bio in conjunction with 4-5 other AP classes.

The other thing about Bio is that it's somewhat unrewarding, because you'll inevitably forget the bulk of it in about three to six months. Had you asked me how the circulatory system works last year in May, I could've written you a three-page essay strictly from memory detailing every organ's role and every single step. Ask me right now and I'd probably muster out about five sentences before giving up.

One thing I do like about Bio is that it really helps your work ethic. Overall, I'd say that AP Bio is worth it if you have the time. It also looks good to colleges.

I've never taken psychology, so I don't know about that.

By Blind1595 (Blind1595) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:48 am: Edit

I did both and found them to be really great AP classes. I would base my choice on how well the teachers teach, but as far as content.... Psychology has biological fields so eventually you can kind of cross reference stuff you learned in both classes. Especially when you get to classical conditioning, and the functions of the brain. I would recommend Psych. I loved it, and got a 5 without having to make much of an effort... But then again, I had a good teacher. If you can take them both at some point or another in high school do it.

By Girlx (Girlx) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:40 am: Edit

Well, I've taken both classes, and I loved both. However, for prestige, I would definitely go for AP Biology. There are more schools that accept AP Bio credit than ones that accept AP Psych. Furthermore, AP Biology counts as 1 credit while AP Psychology only counts for 0.5. Basically, it looks a whole lot better and has a lot more advantages.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page