AIME/USAMO classes

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AIME/USAMO classes
By Link12 (Link12) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Does anyone's school offer these types of classes? I've heard they are very helpful on the exams. My friend at Illinois Mathematics & Science Academy says this class helped him a lot on the AIME, boosting his score from 4 to 9.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

A few colleges have problem solving classes that prepare students for the Putnam. I haven't heard of AIME/USAMO classes, but if my school had them, I'd be the first one signed up.

But in short, no, my (public non-magnet) school doesn't offer them.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

I don't think there are many schools that would offer a problem solving class, but you can take one on your own. Go to www.artofproblemsolving.com

By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

At MOSP last summer someone from IMSA (Illinois Math and Science Academy) told me that they might begin offering an "Olympiad Math" course. I don't imagine more than the five or six big math schools (IMSA, TJ, AAST, Exeter, etc.) would have enough high caliber kids to offer such a class though.

By Link12 (Link12) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Do you think these are helpful? Some problems I encountered on the AIME seemed to have needed obscure math tricks to solve them.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

go to www.artofproblemsolving.com
You can sign up for internet courses, or buy the book (vol 2 plus soln book for AIME/USAMO)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page