Writing SAT II MC Questions....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Writing SAT II MC Questions....
By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

If anyone can explain any of these writing multiple choice, please do so! Thanks!

1) Fishing vessels are (now allowed) to trawl (within) the once-restricted zone, (even without) explicit (permission for it).

The answer is (permission for it)... why?

2) Our mayor has (a great many) good qualities, but (we cannot) hardly expect him, (or any other) public official, (to be perfect).

The answer is (we cannot).... im a little bit confused on when we can use cannot, and we use can not.

3) (Belying) his harsh words, the social worker's tone of voice (implicated) that he (was not) (unmoved by) the prisoners' plight.

The answer here is (implicated)... doesnt implicated mean the same thing as suggests? So i dont get why it is wrong here.

4) (Even if) we agree that Shakespeare (possessed) uncommon powers of characterization, we (need not) blind ourselves (from) inconsistencies in Hamlet's behavior.

(from) is the answer. I dont get this one at all.

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

for the first one, "permission" is enough-u dont need "for it" cuz its already clear.

for the second one, "cannot hardly" is a double negative.

for the third one, "implied" is better.

for the fourth one, I THINK its "blind ourselves BY"

hope that kinda helps.

By Xoxo (Xoxo) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

1) permission. ("for it" is unnecessary)
2)cannot hardly...a double negative...use only one or the other, not both in the sentence.
3)implied--is the correct word to use, not implicated
4)to the (not from).. not sure of the reason, but that is what I would say.

By Xoxo (Xoxo) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

oops...guess another post/answer got in while I was chatting on the phone! sorry!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page