What is presidential scholarship??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: What is presidential scholarship??
By Ktpanda2033 (Ktpanda2033) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

i see a bunch of people's resumes containing
"presidential scholar"

what exactly is that and how is that awarded?

also, i noticed that people from my school get the Harvard Award, and the Dartmouth Book Award, among other honors given by top universities.
I heard from a source that teachers secretly award these, but I'm not sure.

By H0peful (H0peful) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

Basically, the Presidential Scholar award is relatively difficult to win:

Round 1: To be a 'Candidate' you basically need a 1590/1600 SAT (roughly 2000 nationwide are candidates I believe)

Round 2: You submit essays, grades, activities, awards, rec, etc. and semifinalists are chosen (500 in nation are semifinalists)

Round 3: Semifinalists are evaluated again and a select few (typically one male/ one female per state) become 'Presidential Scholars'

By Tsunashima1 (Tsunashima1) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Interesting... How would I apply for this?

By Over30 (Over30) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

You don't. There is someone in your state who is in charge of this. They look at all of the SAT or ACT scores in your state, and if you're in the top 20 or so (I think it's 20 in our state) then you are in. This is 20 male, 20 female. Make sure when you take your tests that you check the box that says the CB or ACT people can send your scores out.

There is also an "arts" presidential scholar program that I think you can apply to.

Go here: http://www.presidentialscholars.org/

In most schools, the teachers select one student to win things like the Harvard or Yale book award.

By Tsunashima1 (Tsunashima1) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

When are these qualifying kids notified?

I looked at the site but it omits details about admission.

By Headache86 (Headache86) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

i was notified in february about my nomination (im a senior), and late march about becoming a semifinalist.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page