TI-89 helpful for SAT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: TI-89 helpful for SAT?
By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

i have a TI-83 (from my school) and have heard that the TI-89 makes SAT math easier... is it worth getting? any particular applications to download?

(if i hurry, i can also use it for AP physics and AP statistics)

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

You hardly need a calculator for the regular SAT, and the TI89 is overkill. It probably will slow you down if you are just buying it now.

The story is different for the SAT-IIC where the mastery of a TI-89 pays huge dividends.

To read many threads about the 89, just use the search on CC with 89 as wildcard, or google this site only!

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

I find that using a calculator on the SATI Math slows me down considerably. The toughest calculations you'll need to do might be stuff like 63x6, and you should be able to do that in your head faster than it takes you to reach for your calculator :).

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

For the SAT--don't bother.

The TI-89 is good for AP Statistics if you have the stats program that usually comes with it. It is more organized than the stats function of the TI-83, but without it the 89 isn't too good for stats.

If you plan on taking AP Calculus though, the 89 is the way to go!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page